I Will Return To Post Of Prime Minister: Thaksin

george

This man is a walking headline. All the electronic and print media moguls must be praying for his return.

You could sack all your reporters and just employ 2 or 3 to follow him around all day just to fill up your paper and TV stories.

Hang on isn't that just like what happened before for 5 years.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by AussieFarang

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll return to post of prime minister: Thaksin

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra Monday vowed to fight his way back to the post of prime minister and vowed to return to Thailand.

He made the announcement through a 20-minute phone-in to the Pheu Thai Party seminar in Nakhon Ratchasima.

During the phonein, he affirmed to the MPs and executives of Pheu Thai that he would fight against his opponents for justice.

"I would like to tell the people that I'll be ready to return to the post of prime minister again if the people are also ready," Thaksin said.

"But if the people give up, it will also be tantamount to my defeat as well."

-- The Nation 2009-02-02

Don't see much sign of that. Hiding under a rock with a phone, making increasingly ridiculous calls in an effort to try and raise a little stink whenever things aren't going to plan isn't exactly fighting for justice. He'd sound a little more convincing if he'd stayed to face his opponents rather than fleeing. He saw how the red shirts demonstration fizzled out on Saturday and he's worried that Abhisit is doing okay and the majority of the people are giving him a chance, so he's getting desperate. The man's scum.

Exactly!

Thirded. I agree also with that...

Edited by sriracha john

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra Monday vowed to fight his way back to the post of prime minister and vowed to return to Thailand.

He made the announcement through a 20-minute phone-in to the Pheu Thai Party seminar in Nakhon Ratchasima.

During the phonein, he affirmed to the MPs and executives of Pheu Thai that he would fight against his opponents for justice.

"I would like to tell the people that I'll be ready to return to the post of prime minister again if the people are also ready," Thaksin said.

-- The Nation 2009-02-02

Don't see much sign of that. Hiding under a rock with a phone, making increasingly ridiculous calls in an effort to try and raise a little stink whenever things aren't going to plan isn't exactly fighting for justice. He'd sound a little more convincing if he'd stayed to face his opponents rather than fleeing. He saw how the red shirts demonstration fizzled out on Saturday and he's worried that Abhisit is doing okay and the majority of the people are giving him a chance, so he's getting desperate. The man's scum.

Exactly!

I agree also with you on that...

Not exactly! I think your quoter button has been hitting the bottle again!

So in Thailand we allow convicted criminals to govern the country then ? :o

I notice this is in the present tense

Kosit has yet to be convicted of high crimes against the state for his involvement with the PAD. You can bet there is a bit of negotiation and compromise behind the scenes on this one!

High crimes? Participating in a sit-in at the airport is now a "High Crime against the State"?

Anyone in Thailand can do a sit-in protest in any airports. All they have to do is show the 500 to 10,000 Baht fine receipt; when the law comes to effect. I am sure Sondhi et al all have prepared the 500 to 10,000 Baht fine, and pay them promptly when it happens. End of story.

-- The Nation 2009-02-02

POST #25

POST #26

Exactly!

I agree also with you on that...

Not exactly! I think your quoter button has been hitting the bottle again!

Does numbering the posts help you any?

Come home, Thakky...

comehome.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thaksin vows to fight for justice at all costs

BANGKOK, Feb 2 (TNA) - Convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared before hundreds of his supporters on Monday he would fight for justice at all costs, and backtracked on his pledge to turn his back on politics.

In a phone-in interview to a of Puea Thai Party seminar in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, the ousted premier said he was confident he would be able to return to Thailand to lead the country again if the people needed him.

Thaksin also said the Democrat-led coalition government would not last long as it would not be able to solve the country's economic problems. The opposition Puea Thai Party would not have to wait that long.

The convicted premier urged his supporters to be patient as he also awaited his day to return to his homeland.

Thaksin’s phone-in came a day after tens of thousands of his supporters led by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship marched to Government House on Sunday, demanding Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva remove Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya, dissolve the House and take action against its rival People's Alliance for Democracy. They vowed to rally again if their demands were not met.

Ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006, Thaksin has spent most of the past 28 months overseas in self-imposed exile.

Late last year he was sentenced in absentia to two years imprisonment for abuse of power.

His visa was revoked by the United Kingdom.

Come home, Thakky...

comehome.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thaksin vows to fight for justice at all costs

BANGKOK, Feb 2 (TNA) - Convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared before hundreds of his supporters on Monday he would fight for justice at all costs, and backtracked on his pledge to turn his back on politics.

In a phone-in interview to a of Puea Thai Party seminar in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, the ousted premier said he was confident he would be able to return to Thailand to lead the country again if the people needed him.

Thaksin also said the Democrat-led coalition government would not last long as it would not be able to solve the country's economic problems. The opposition Puea Thai Party would not have to wait that long.

The convicted premier urged his supporters to be patient as he also awaited his day to return to his homeland.

Thaksin's phone-in came a day after tens of thousands of his supporters led by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship marched to Government House on Sunday, demanding Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva remove Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya, dissolve the House and take action against its rival People's Alliance for Democracy. They vowed to rally again if their demands were not met.

Ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006, Thaksin has spent most of the past 28 months overseas in self-imposed exile.

Late last year he was sentenced in absentia to two years imprisonment for abuse of power.

His visa was revoked by the United Kingdom.

"A WEEK IS A LONG TIME IN POLITICS" :o

Hurry home, Thakky... you don't look so good...

tired.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thaksin: "I'm ready to be Thai PM again"

BANGKOK, Feb. 2 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday said he was ready to return to Thailand and fight his way back to lead the country again.

He made the vow in a 20-minute phone-in to a seminar of the Pheu Thai Party (PTP), a reincarnation of the disbanded pro-Thaksin Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) and People Power Party (PPP), according to a report by The Nation news website.

It was not disclosed from where Thaksin, now a fugitive on corruption charges, made the phone-in.

During the phone-in, he affirmed to the MPs and executives of Pheu Thai Party that he would fight against his opponents for justice.

"I would like to tell the people that I'll be ready to return to the post of prime minister again if the people are also ready," Thaksin was quoted by The Nation report as saying.

Thaksin also assured his political allies that that he would not die abroad, though, he admitted, he will live in exile for a long time.

He also affirmed that he was both physically and mentally healthy enough to carry out the duties as a government head if the people need him.

He also thanked his supporters, referred to as the "red-shirted people" in Thailand, for serving as his main force to fight against his opponents.

The red-shirted demonstrators, who were organized by the pro-Thaksin group United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), on Saturday staged a rally in central Bangkok -- first at Sanam Luang and later at night moved to the Government House to announce their political demands for the current government led by PM Abhisit Vejjajiva, including dissolution of House of Representatives and reinstallment of the 1997 Constitution.

The UDD people gave the government 15 days to meet their demands. Or they would come back with more rallies, they warned.

Thaksin went in exile since a bloodless military coup toppled his government on Sept. 19, 2006.

He returned to the country last February after the PPP formed a coalition government, but fled the country again in August, facing a court sentence of two years for corruption charges.

Is beyond my comprehension why so many english speaking TV people are so excited about Thaksin and his impossible return to Thailand.

:D

What a strange post :D

I don't see anyone getting particularly excited. The posts are either serious, sarcastic or comical to varying degrees and follow the general thrust of most TV threads.

In any event Thaksin is either the best person or the worst person (depending on your point of view) and certainly the most divisive person that has ever come to power in recent times in Thailand, and there is not a Thai or a farang the length and breadth of Thailand who hasn't heard of him, and doesn't have a strong opinion about him.

The country has teetered on the brink of civil war due to his refusal to call it a day, and he has been banned from the UK, is probably unable to travel to almost any western country, and due to his outlandish statements to the international press and his financial exploits into the football arena, he is also known by millions all over the world.

So if "ENGLISH SPEAKING TV PEOPLE" (BTW, does that include Thais?) get a bit excited about an infamous, convicted criminal's return here, with a vow to become PM again - it is hardly surprising. :o

Edited by Mobi

Is beyond my comprehension why so many english speaking TV people are so excited about Thaksin and his impossible return to Thailand.

:o

Because, as has been posted in this forum before, some have been affected by the murder of a friend or family member under the direct orders of Thaksin, some want to see Thailand find some sort of recovery and don't see any role for Thaksin in it, being more of a divisive figure than a unifying one, and many see through the lies and greed of this bitter little man and simply want to see justice served, in the same way we want to see it served in the Moo Ham case, the Shin murder case and every other case where the rich and powerful have killed, robbed, tortured or otherwise dragged down the poor and got away with it. Comprehend? If you don't feel enough about the country to come up with an opinion as to how it could be bettered, whether it be red or yellow, then maybe you need to question what you are doing here.

Thaksin inherited an economy that was beginning to see light (thanks to the Democrats),

I take it you weren't around back then or you are making stuff up as you go along.

One of the main, if not the main reason the Democrats were voted out and the TRT voted in in a landslide was their failure economically especially with Chuan's 'Bitter Medicine' economic policy.

Thailand under Thaksin did remarkably better and economically was something of a revelation.

Anyway, that is over now and a return back to the days of economic stagnation and mismanagement under the Democrats looks likely again.

Thaksin vows to return home and to be PM again

The Nation Feb 2, 2009 (updated article) -link

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra vowed on Monday to return to Thailand and fight his way back to the post of prime minister.

He made the announcement through a 20-minute phone-in to the Pheu Thai Party seminar.

During the phone-in, he affirmed to the MPs and executives of Pheu Thai that he would fight against his opponents for justice.

Thaksin drew big applause when he said he would definitely not die abroad.

"Although I'll live in exile for a long time, I'll definitely not died abroad. Although I cannot return to the country, I'll sneak back to die in north eastern region," Thaksin said.

He said if the people want him, he would immediately return to carry out his political duty to serve the people.

"I'll try to stay healthy. Yesterday, I had blood check and I am still strong.

"I am still healthy mentally because all in Pheu Thai always provide me moral support," Thaksin said.

He also thanked the red-shirted people for serving as his main forces to fight against his opponents.

"No matter what will happen, I'll fight with all out efforts."

Edited by baht&sold

It was not disclosed from where Thaksin, now a fugitive on corruption charges, made the phone-in.

He's actually a fugitive with a corruption conviction, but anyway, I think his sentence will expire sometime in 2018? So we can expect him to contest the next election after that, maybe around 2020? :o

Thaksin inherited an economy that was beginning to see light (thanks to the Democrats),

I take it you weren't around back then or you are making stuff up as you go along.

One of the main, if not the main reason the Democrats were voted out and the TRT voted in in a landslide was their failure economically especially with Chuan's 'Bitter Medicine' economic policy.

Thailand under Thaksin did remarkably better and economically was something of a revelation.

Anyway, that is over now and a return back to the days of economic stagnation and mismanagement under the Democrats looks likely again.

Indeed, Mr Thaksin tapped into and exploited/heightened Thai's expectations of instant gratification (for his and cronies instant benefit) vs actual substance and needed (still) long-term reform. Shame, Mr Thaksin could have been, should have been the best Thai PM to date.

PM Abhisit had little choice but to serve up more populist dissolving candy as Mr Thaksin had programmed the electorate to expect. After some of the initial Thaksin type offerings are typically wasted, hopefully PM Abhisit may start actual long-term reform and Thailand finally swallows the long-delayed bitter but needed pill of actual reforms.

"Although I'll live in exile for a long time, I'll definitely not died abroad. Although I cannot return to the country, I'll sneak back to die in north eastern region," Thaksin said.

So, how confident is he to become PM of Thailand again? :o

Just hope that he don't mess up the beauty of the North! :D

It's clear that Thaksin's popularity comes from the deep-sown hatred of his enemies. The military and elites are perplexed how one man can focus the political will of a majority of people when they control the media and rule mercilessly. The PAD fairy tale about a Nation that had never experienced corruption before being taken over by an evil square headed man was received with a lack of enthusiasm. It is hard for them to realize why the Thai people do not see the military as the freedom=loving klan they claim to be. Until Thaksin's enemies do a little self-searching, nothing will change. No amount of oppression or coups will ultimately solve the dilemma.

^ it's no great mystery. He was a megalomaniac, who, despite already being a baht billionaire, pursued "unprecedented" levels of corruption to enable him to become a pound sterling billionaire and whose tremendous human rights violations led to his downfall. Just another despot in the scrapheap of dictators like Marcos.

Edited by sriracha john

So in Thailand we allow convicted criminals to govern the country then ? :o

I notice this is in the present tense

Kosit has yet to be convicted of high crimes against the state for his involvement with the PAD. You can bet there is a bit of negotiation and compromise behind the scenes on this one!

High crimes? Participating in a sit-in at the airport is now a "High Crime against the State"?

oh it was just a sit in , was it? that's ok then. no link to the airports closure, economic and tourism decline and inability to work normally in parlement

if i had been better informed i would have brought a picnic and joined in the sanuk. i was obviously wrong to think politics and violence were also involved.

I'm assuming some sort of deal will be done eventually with Thaksin. As long as he looks like a destabilizer, the better the deal will be for him. Deals are always done with fallen-from-grace political figures in this country, aren't they? The only one I can think of who didn't deal was Pridi, and he seriously pinged off the court party as well as Jompon Por. There was another one who didn't come back, but I don't want to mention his name in case it violates lese majeste laws or TV rules in some way.

Because, as has been posted in this forum before, some have been affected by the murder of a friend or family member under the direct orders of Thaksin, some want to see Thailand find some sort of recovery and don't see any role for Thaksin in it, being more of a divisive figure than a unifying one, and many see through the lies and greed of this bitter little man and simply want to see justice served, in the same way we want to see it served in the Moo Ham case, the Shin murder case and every other case where the rich and powerful have killed, robbed, tortured or otherwise dragged down the poor and got away with it. Comprehend? If you don't feel enough about the country to come up with an opinion as to how it could be bettered, whether it be red or yellow, then maybe you need to question what you are doing here.

i respect your opinion but disagree. is your logic that well thought out?

the rich and the powerful are NOT in the same camp as Taksin. They wanted him out.

An impressive list of host and attendees for Thaksin's Comeback Tour 2009...

Thaksin's younger sisters Yaowapa Wongsawat [banned] and Yingluck Shinawatra:

moodang01it4.jpg220708033.jpg

Former PM and PPP Leader Somchai Wongsawat [banned]:

3_101.jpg

Former PPP Deputy Leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat [banned]:

AI-AP540_THAILA_20080708130013.jpg

Former PPP Deputy Leader Sompong Amornvivat [banned]:

MNewsImages_24529.jpg

Former PPP Secretary-General Noppadon Pattama [banned]:

wwwnoppadoncom.jpg

Former TRT executive Pongthep Thepkanchana [banned]:

340x-4.jpg

Former TRT executive Sermsak Pongpanit [banned]:

n10-199.jpg

Thaksin talks of a comeback

Declares readiness to fight for justice

Thaksin Shinawatra is in a fighting mood. The former PM says he is ready to fight for justice and make a comeback as the country's political leader. The move is a turn-around. Thaksin earlier said he had washed his hands of politics. "I earlier announced that I would wash my hands of politics," Thaksin told members of the opposition PTP and former MPs of the now dissolved TRT on Monday in a phone-in. "But as there are so many politically motivated cases being filed against me, I want to tell you now that I am ready to return to the political arena once again." "If I give up the fight, people who used to benefit from policies initiated by the TRT will be badly hurt." The former PM said mounting persecution by his rivals had forced him to change his mind. "I will fight on no matter what happens. I'm ready to be prime minister again if people support me. If people voice their call that they want me, I will come back to carry out my duty [as prime minister]." Thaksin said he would not always remain on the run in other countries and went on to criticise the Democrat party-led government for failing to tackle the country's problems. Thaksin's 20-minute phone-in started shortly after politicians loyal to him joined a seminar organised by PTP at a hotel near the Khao Yai National Park in Pak Chong district of this provincial gateway to the northeast. The seminar, co-hosted by Thaksin's younger sisters Yaowapa Wongsawat and Yingluck Shinawatra, was attended by banned executives and MPs of the two dissolved parties - TRT and the PPP. Former PM and PPP Leader Somchai Wongsawat, former PPP Deputy Leaders Yongyuth Tiyapairat and Sompong Amornvivat, former PPP Secretary-General Noppadon Pattama, former TRT executives Pongthep Thepkanchana and Sermsak Pongpanit were also there. "Please feel at ease that I will not abandon anyone. Be assured that I will stay near you [MPs] to give you support," he told his loyalists.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1093...s-of-a-comeback

What just a month ago everyone was going on about how it was looking up that British born Abhisit was to be PM. Now, everyone is slagging him off - is it soemthing to do with the fact that he doesn't like College girls earning extra income by selling their bodies on the internet?

I don't think we can expect him to be puking out new policies left, right and centre as Obama is, Obama has a h3ck of a lot more money behind him - another post here was stating that he was handed a reserve less than a month's worth of civil servant wages! Not a lot to build on. Thaksin made no end of promises, predictions and policy statements - mostly to fool the rural vote into thinking he was a savior that loved the struggling underclasses. Many promises and predictions turn out as hot air, and many of the policies he did put in '30 baht medical' etc sounded good, but never worked - many of the others helped him and his family and companies, but not many others - and certainly not the working classes and below.

I think we need to give him more time before we make a judgement and give him enough rope - this country really doesn't need more change that's for sure.

Hear Hear...well put, all the other comments are like small stones rattling around in an empty tin... :o

i respect your opinion but disagree. is your logic that well thought out?

the rich and the powerful are NOT in the same camp as Taksin. They wanted him out.

Your last line is quite a statement, shame it's not true though. I was referring to the rich and powerful who have arrogantly broken laws, murdered, or ordered murder, and bought their way out. People like Thaksin Shinawatra, the entire Yoobamrung clan, and the killers of numerous other environmental, legal and human rights activists who spoke up against the illegal actions of the TRT. Even the most ardent red supporter can't believe that they wanted Thaksin out? If Abhisit were ever to be proved to be a fraction of the crook that Thaksin is then I would be as fervently against him as I am against these other carbuncles on the backside of humanity. I guess that's the difference between me and the Thaksin lovers, I would never support a thieving, murdering, lieing, cheating scum bag of an individual, who hasn't the balls to face up to his crimes, to be PM, whereas they obviously would. Cue the "Abhisit is a puppet controlled by the shady elite" protests, but I'm talking about the character of the PM himself. Thai politics is rotten to the core, always has been, maybe always will be, but at the moment Abhisit has still got a measure of integrity, Thaksin definitely hasn't.