Suvarnabhumi Transit Passengers Need No Visa : Cabinet

Cabinet: Suvarnabhumi transit passengers need no visa

BANGKOK: -- Cabinet on Tuesday approved a visa exemption scheme for transit passengers through Suvarnabhumi Airport who must wait long hours to catch a connecting flight, in an attempt to boost the country's tourism industry.

Deputy spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said the Cabinet initially approved the plan to increase income from international transit passengers, by allowing them to temporarily leave the airport premises on a short visit or to shop at places near the airport without a visa.

Mr. Puttipong said Thailand welcomed a thousand of transit passengers daily, many of whom must stay at the airport for up to eight hours.

If allowed to leave the airport for a short visit to tourist attractions or nearby shopping, more income could be generated among local residents and tour operators.

It is expected that the number of tourists in Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Samut Prakan and Chonburi will increase if the plan is implemented.

"Cabinet also assigned the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Airports of Thailand and the Association of Thai Travel Agents to create interesting tour packages for transit passengers," Mr. Puttipong said.

The visa exemption scheme is aimed at boosting Thailand's tourism industry and reversing a drop in the number of foreign tourists. The number of foreign tourists has dropped by 20 per cent from the same period of last year, due to the local political turmoil and global economic slowdown.

-- TNA 2009-02-04

It is expected that the number of tourists in Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Samut Prakan and Chonburi will increase if the plan is implemented.

"Cabinet also assigned the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Airports of Thailand and the Association of Thai Travel Agents to create interesting tour packages for transit passengers," Mr. Puttipong said.

-- TNA 2009-02-04

:o:D ....these people have really lost their grip on reality, if they ever had a grip to start with....

Time enough for the proverbial "Pattaya Quickie" ??

An 8 hour stopover would probably allow for a "Pattaya longtime"...2 hours, of course.

Time enough for the proverbial "Pattaya Quickie" ??

Why go to Pattaya? You could get two or three "Bangkok Quickies" in !!!

:D:o:D

The article makes no mention of the airport tax, which I understand is collected if a passenger goes out of the transit area and then goes in again through immigration. Or has this been abandoned?

--

Maestro

I searched for what I thought I remembered and found it here:

...Wherever you get your ex-BKK boarding pass they will print the code for the airport it was printed at on the boarding pass. Immigration checks this code. If it doesn't indicate the boarding pass was printed in BKK they will send you back to get a BKK printed boarding pass, or at least that's what they did to me. If you use the transfer counter airside at BKK to get a boarding pass it will be marked as a transit boarding pass and the same thing will happen. Once you go back to get the BKK issued boarding pass the check-in counter will ask you to pay the 700 THB fee. There is no way around this unless they forget to check at immigration or if they forget to ask for the fee at the check-in counter.
...I tried to get back in using my connecting flight boarding pass issued at a different airport but they told me that I had to get a new one issued by the check-in counter before they'd let me through. When I went to the check-in counter they said I couldn't use a transit boarding pass because my departure tax wasn't included and I had to pay it before they'd issue me a new boarding pass. They said regardless of how long time you spend landside you have to pay the tax. They said many people complain about this because they didn't know they have to pay the tax even if they come out for only a few minutes. On my next trip after that while I was waiting in line at immigration the two guys in front of me had the orange BKK transit boarding passes and they were sent back to the check-in counter by the guy at the immigration counter.

So it doesn't matter if your boarding pass is issued at the transit desk or at another airport. If you haven't paid the departure tax and you exit immigration you must pay unless you get lucky and nobody catches it.

Coming in this morning TG from Bangalore a specific announcement was made to transit passengers, "Go outside the transit area and you must pay 700 Baht", clear enough warning :o

Searching some more I found this

AIRPORT TAX EXEMPTION FOR TRANSIT PASSENGERS PROGRAMMES

DATE OF COMMENCEMENT: February 1,2002

PARTICIPANTS: Passengers in transit at Bangkok International Airport who have no less than 12 hours to wait until their connecting flight and who are participating in activities offered by the Working Committee only.

PROCEDURE FOR AIRPORT TAX EXEMPTION REQUEST:

Prior to landing or while in transit at Bangkok International Airport, passengers will be informed of tours open to them via a variety of media. Those interested in joining any of the programmes should follow the procedures below:

...(follows lengthy procedure and list of approved activities)

Sorry, folks, visits to massage parlors is not included.

--

Maestro

I seem to remember that T-land had the same scheme about 25 years ago also.....free charabang trip round the supermarkets in Suk Rd.....actually no..they didnt have any at that time did they...?

but as said ...maybe was to the old Laski Plaza or summit :o