Questions About The Iphone 3g From True

Being i'm still a new person with this phone, have played with the 1st version iphone would like answers to the following questions

1. Is the iphone from true unlocked already or locked. I ask this cause I have the phone now and just changed out the sim card from true put in dtac and it works fine.

2. From what I understand jailbreaking the phone allowed you to add more sources for applications on installer, I've already gone and downloaded many applications from the itunes store, so would it be worth jailbreaking this phone, although if the phone is already unlocked how can it be jailbroken then

3. I'm confused on the firmware update when you sync the iphone with itunes I understand this fixes bug on the phone but has been known to brick jailbroken phones though. So what about the phone from true if I update will it brick my phone or just primarily fix whatever bugs are out there

if you can provide any sources, links, answers on this question it would be most useful to me. Have a good day

• 4 weeks later...

Similar question from me:

I am getting interested in buying this phone.

I am probably happy to use the True package while I am in Thailand.

But I will soon be taking the family for a holiday to Australia for a month, and when passing through Bangkok on the way, that is when I'd buy the phone. So almost immediately I'd be using it in Australia.

If I buy it from True - can I unlock it (I think that is the correct term)? So as I can put in a pre paid SIM card whilst in Australia?

Would that even be a good idea / worth it?

Thanks for those links, but they didn't really have the answers to the questions. Anyone else got any info?

well, people...little bitty i know of, just from my own personal experience for past few weeks i will tell ya what i know of.

i got my self a new 3G iphone. someone gave me as a present few weeks ago. it was brand new, still was in plastic lab when i got it, and somehow it already was jailbroken when i opened it on very first time. well, i didnt know it was jail broken until i accidently hooked it on Itune for register and after some new firmware update brah,brah,brah, it has updated from 2.2 version to 2.2.1 newest version. and base band(this shows on your phone detail on iphone screen) also updated to 2.30.03 which it was 2.28 or something.

thing is after the upgrade many of programs that i had on Iphone before the upgrade had gone including neat video camera i was playing with my 2 sons. clips, songs, files, all gone and thats when i started out doing some reserch about my missing files and then i've now became lil expert on this,LOL =)

there are 3 diffrent kind of iphone 3G are here in Thailand, one is from states,(by AT&T) which factory sim locked one, and then there are one from Italy, this one is expensive because its 100% Factory unlocked version which you can use any of GSM sim. then there are one from Hongkong, which some are factory unlocked and some are jailbroken to use diffrent carrier sim.

ok. this newest Apple update was targeting for Jailbreaking people and the phone that hacking to breaking simlock able to use any other carrier sim card. and blocking all the access or program use of third party devolopers(which some are not allowed in Itune store on some reason)

(there are two types of jailbreaking methols, one is unlocking carrier locks to use any sim card service. and other is simple program jailbreaking to let use of other parties programs & applications.)

actually this new update seems destroyed many of jailbreak phone users around the world by causing those phone to go brink,blocked,death.

in thailand, you have two choice, one is to follow True move promtion and join contract for period of times. or also can buy smuggled oversea iphone from Italy or hongkong.

last few days, i did alot of reserches, since i wanted Video camera back on my iphone and also wanted some more expensive paying applications apple store is asking you to pay to get.

finally, i have done it and learn that even those new updates from apple can not stop simple application jailbreak to use many other goodie programs, if you have factory unlocked iphone and far as i know, one from true move and the Italy version is simular, cuz, both of phone model number's are MB489T & MB489TA and its same series.( there are only few countries & few series model numbers of Iphone that has fatory unlocked model apple allowed)

bottom line, Factory Sim carrier Unlocked IPhone is safe weather you jailbreak it to use other programs are not. as you can always just reset it to restore into original factory mode again simply hook it up on itune and press update.

i am still leaning more about new world of finding good jailbroken prgrams on my phone, so once i learn about it more, i'll keep it post. as long as i know, with this jailbreaking. i have got fine Video Camera on Iphone which apple never placed them in first place.

regards

Edited by hellracer

Being i'm still a new person with this phone, have played with the 1st version iphone would like answers to the following questions

1. Is the iphone from true unlocked already or locked. I ask this cause I have the phone now and just changed out the sim card from true put in dtac and it works fine.

2. From what I understand jailbreaking the phone allowed you to add more sources for applications on installer, I've already gone and downloaded many applications from the itunes store, so would it be worth jailbreaking this phone, although if the phone is already unlocked how can it be jailbroken then

3. I'm confused on the firmware update when you sync the iphone with itunes I understand this fixes bug on the phone but has been known to brick jailbroken phones though. So what about the phone from true if I update will it brick my phone or just primarily fix whatever bugs are out there

if you can provide any sources, links, answers on this question it would be most useful to me. Have a good day

I am not 100% sure since I am not a True Iphone users, but from what I have heard, it is indeed unlocked. You can use it with AIS or DTAC if you wanted. This does make sense since you can buy the phone without a contract from TRUE.

Jailbreaking essentially lets you install software you dl off the net for free. Like stuff you normally would have to buy from Itunes you can dl them and install without paying. (don't ask me for details. I don't own an Iphone Only played around with one for a few days)

I don't think updating necessarily bricks the phone. If I am correct, the problem is that the newest firmware cannot be jailbroken/unlocked yet(though i think u can get something called stealth/turbo sim to remedy this).

There are tons of links on the web. Just google it or read some Iphone specific forums.

bought one from true central bangnaat the weekend. I use my dtac simcard in it. True tried to sell me the package but as I couldn't take my dtac number with me I just bought the handset. True claim you need to be an existing True customer to buy the handset outright, and I mean either TrueMove, Truevisions or True internet customer (which I am). However, when I actually went and bought it they asked for no proof of my truevisions or True internet account.

I've already updated the iPhone to the latest version via itunes, no problem. It's working fine on DTAC right now, Edge is fine and if DTAC are true to their prediction of having 3G by July then I won't have long to wait until getting 3G working on it too. DTAC told me that when 3G comes to DTAC it will be compatible with 3G iPhone.

I'd say that if you can buy handset only direct from True, then you should. It's got full worldwide warranty, which jailbroken iphones dont, and it is competitively priced.

Also, with jailbroken iPhones, you have to wait for the jailbreak update to follow each apple update, which seems to take a few weeks, and then you have to jailbreak it all again, which is a ballache

I'd also recommend just getting the True phone - it's unlocked and comes with warranty, you might even be able to get extended warranty from Apple.

Jailbreaking is an option - software updates might re-jail the phone but they won't brick it. Bricking is a danger only if you unlocked a phone that was purchased locked. E.g. can't happen with a True iPhone. That said, I'd rather have the warranty than a jailbroken phone, the app store has 10s of thousands of apps to fulfill most of your third party app needs.

Sim unlock: (where any sim can be used)

I think any sim can be used with the iphone. It is unlocked.

Jail breaking (third party software, etc.): Currently the 3G phone can't really be jailbreaked to much success.

My friend jailbreaked his but it only worked for like a week before the programs just hung. Its really iffy too. The firmware, itunes version, lots of things can make it go wrong. Compared to the previous version of iphone (non 3G)which is in much demand because of its jailbreaking abilities.

Currently the advantages of the newer version of the iphone 3G is of no use in Thailand unless if you live in Chiang Mai. There is no practical 3G network that I can think of just yet in BKK. The best is to use the wifi which the older model already is able to do.

• 3 months later...
bought one from true central bangnaat the weekend. I use my dtac simcard in it. True tried to sell me the package but as I couldn't take my dtac number with me I just bought the handset. True claim you need to be an existing True customer to buy the handset outright, and I mean either TrueMove, Truevisions or True internet customer (which I am). However, when I actually went and bought it they asked for no proof of my truevisions or True internet account.

I've already updated the iPhone to the latest version via itunes, no problem. It's working fine on DTAC right now, Edge is fine and if DTAC are true to their prediction of having 3G by July then I won't have long to wait until getting 3G working on it too. DTAC told me that when 3G comes to DTAC it will be compatible with 3G iPhone.

I'd say that if you can buy handset only direct from True, then you should. It's got full worldwide warranty, which jailbroken iphones dont, and it is competitively priced.

Also, with jailbroken iPhones, you have to wait for the jailbreak update to follow each apple update, which seems to take a few weeks, and then you have to jailbreak it all again, which is a ballache

Thanks for this post, really helped me alot. As many of you will know, the new 3Gs is out.. It looks attractive but not worth the price it's going to sell for when you can just get the current 3g and just update the software. My question to anyone who can help me is...

1. If i get the iphone 3g that is unlocked by True, will it 'relock' itself once i do the 3.0 software update or restore the phone, or reset etc.??

2. How do i know if its 100% factory unlocked?

Any help would be much appreicated

Thanks again

Pim

Hi there

I also purchased my unlocked phone from True. From what I understand, if you jailbreak it there is a possibility that the warranty is null. Friends tell me if I had a problem after jailbreaking, I could just restore it before taking it in, but if it bricks on me, that may not be possible. Anyway, I have bought about 50 bucks worth of apps and besides having a video recorder, there is nothing else I really need for it at this point.

I have one of those True Iphone3G

Works like a charm

It's an unlocked phone, as I only use my AIS sim in it, without trouble, since i bought it.

Was nicely installed at the True Shop.

So the phone is SimLock free, so no need to UNLOCK it, therefore you can't really brick it as well.

Only in a couple of countries they will sell the iphone unlocked (thailand, hongkong, france and belgium, as far as i know)

If you want the free apps though, like me, just JAILBREAK it using either quickpown by yourself, or go MBK where they can do it for you for 200 THB (add 200 more for all available apps)

When you want to upgrade to the new software (announced yesterday) you can just jailbreak it again, and install the already available 3.0 (still beta for jailbreak, so better wait a couple of weeks)

No hassle at all.

I had my own iphone done at MBK, and a week later i did my wives iphone at home by self, as i noticed how simple it was.

I have one of those True Iphone3G

Works like a charm

It's an unlocked phone, as I only use my AIS sim in it, without trouble, since i bought it.

Was nicely installed at the True Shop.

So the phone is SimLock free, so no need to UNLOCK it, therefore you can't really brick it as well.

Only in a couple of countries they will sell the iphone unlocked (thailand, hongkong, france and belgium, as far as i know)

If you want the free apps though, like me, just JAILBREAK it using either quickpown by yourself, or go MBK where they can do it for you for 200 THB (add 200 more for all available apps)

When you want to upgrade to the new software (announced yesterday) you can just jailbreak it again, and install the already available 3.0 (still beta for jailbreak, so better wait a couple of weeks)

No hassle at all.

I had my own iphone done at MBK, and a week later i did my wives iphone at home by self, as i noticed how simple it was.

I'm sorry i don't actually know much about iphone but do you need to jailbreak it to upgrade to the 3.0 software?

Also i downloaded all these apps from the app store, do i need to jailbreak it to use it!? (ie. facebook, knots, taptap revenge etc.)

What i understand at the moment is.. you DO NOT need to jailbreak your iphone to update it's software to 3.0 or use applications downloaded though itunes? is this correct?

Thanks

Pim

I'm sorry i don't actually know much about iphone but do you need to jailbreak it to upgrade to the 3.0 software?

Also i downloaded all these apps from the app store, do i need to jailbreak it to use it!? (ie. facebook, knots, taptap revenge etc.)

What i understand at the moment is.. you DO NOT need to jailbreak your iphone to update it's software to 3.0 or use applications downloaded though itunes? is this correct?

Thanks

Pim

No need to jailbreak first to upgrade to 3.0. Once it's availabe via Itunes you'll be offered to upgrade, if you have a non-jailbroken iphone you should do that.

Just meant that when you have a jailbroken 2.2.1 phone, you shouldn't update to 3.0 using itunes. (you should upgrade via the same route as where you had your phone jailbroken, so either by self or by MBK shop)

If you have a jailbroken phone, you could already update to a jailbroken 3.0beta, as that's alreday available, but maybe also here better wait until the final 3.0 is available via the respective channels for jailbreaking.

Whatever you downloaded through the App Store will continue running, no matter if it's jailbroken or not.

Your Iphone/Itunes doesn't really see that the phone is Jailbroken

your last remark:

If you have a normal iphone 2.2.x, not jailbroken, you should be able to update soon to 3.0 using Itunes. All your AppStore apps should keep on working (probarbly after re-install using itunes)

If you have a jailbroken iphone 2.2.x, you should be able to update soon by yourself or via your local shop. All your installed apps (AppStore or other) 'should' keep on working (after re-install via itunes or others)

My experience,

2 years ago i purchased the Gen1 iphone while living in singapore. It was an jailbroken version. with this phone and ALL Iphones, if you upgrade the software form itunes to a later version, your phone will relock. at least for the USA and Hong Kong versions. once i thailand I exchanged my phone at a kiosk that sold and jailbroke Iphones in seacon. from that time on everytime I wanted to upgrade the version I take to him and for 500Baht or so I have him do it.

now then if you want a full story on the full deal, go to this site which also can give you info to do yourself.

www.modmyi.com

and the new phone should be available by June19 in usa and major european markets. by august for everywhere else. this phone is the 3G-S, the processer is faster and more ram. but looks physically the same. the size will be 16g and 32g.

My experience,

2 years ago i purchased the Gen1 iphone while living in singapore. It was an jailbroken version. with this phone and ALL Iphones, if you upgrade the software form itunes to a later version, your phone will relock. at least for the USA and Hong Kong versions. once i thailand I exchanged my phone at a kiosk that sold and jailbroke Iphones in seacon. from that time on everytime I wanted to upgrade the version I take to him and for 500Baht or so I have him do it.

now then if you want a full story on the full deal, go to this site which also can give you info to do yourself.

www.modmyi.com

and the new phone should be available by June19 in usa and major european markets. by august for everywhere else. this phone is the 3G-S, the processer is faster and more ram. but looks physically the same. the size will be 16g and 32g.

Thanks for this, this is exactly my scare with the iphone from True. As many users made it clear on here that, True's iphone is a registered unlock iphone and will not relock once upgraded via Itunes ( if it is not jail broken), someone correct me if this is wrong. Not sure if i want the 3g S yet thou, the upgrade are not dramatic enough to get and 8GB is sufficent for me anyway.