Changing Non Imm B To Non Imm Marriage

Does anyone know a) what the requirements are for changing from a normal non imm B visa to a non immigrant B marriage visa and :o is it a hassle? I have been told by my place of work that it is a difficult process and they would rather keep me on the visa that i currently have.

Any info would be useful

It is a hassle in the sense that getting an extension based on marriage involves more paperwork, for both you and immigration. Also you will get a temporary extension of 30 days first, after which you have to come back to get th rest of the year. For that reason immigration prefers you to be on an extension baseed on work. But you can switch, that is no problem.

Better contact immigration to see which documents they need, that differs from ofice to office.

Rule is you must live together with your wife and have either an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months. In both cases money has to be yours.

Documents they will want:

- passport

- marriage certificate

- wife's ID

- photo's of you and your wife and house

- map showing your house

- your wife has to come with you to be intervieuwd

Does anyone know a) what the requirements are for changing from a normal non imm B visa to a non immigrant B marriage visa and :o is it a hassle? I have been told by my place of work that it is a difficult process and they would rather keep me on the visa that i currently have.

Any info would be useful

First it is not a visa it is an extension of stay based upon marriage or work.

It would be less paperwork for the company for you to get your extension based upon marriage than work.

They may want you stay on the work extension because your extension is no longer tied to your job if you change it to marriage. If you were to loose your job you loose your extension and have to leave the country that day or get a 7 day extension. With an extension for marriage you would not have to worry about that since your extension is not dependent on the job.

To change to marriage for proof of income (40,000 baht minimum) you only need your tax receipts and your work permit to show you are working legaly.

Then you need your marriage certificate, wifes ID and house book plus copies of your relevent passport pages. Photos of you and her in and around the house and a map to the house. Your wife would need to go with you for an interview that is required.

Any info would be useful

First it is not a visa it is an extension of stay based upon marriage or work.

It would be less paperwork for the company for you to get your extension based upon marriage than work.

They may want you stay on the work extension because your extension is no longer tied to your job if you change it to marriage. If you were to loose your job you loose your extension and have to leave the country that day or get a 7 day extension. With an extension for marriage you would not have to worry about that since your extension is not dependent on the job.

To change to marriage for proof of income (40,000 baht minimum) you only need your tax receipts and your work permit to show you are working legaly.

Then you need your marriage certificate, wifes ID and house book plus copies of your relevent passport pages. Photos of you and her in and around the house and a map to the house. Your wife would need to go with you for an interview that is required.

I switched from a B to an O a year ago. Along with what has previously been stated, they wanted to drop in on us at our home by surprise. It was sort of a pain because it was around Valentine's Day and they were purposefully vague as to when the surprise visit would occur. So we stayed in for about a week - fearing to leave and miss the surprise visit. Then, on the day of the visit, they called and said they would be arriving within 2 hours. This surprise visit only occurs the one time - not for the annual extensions. Also, the bank account with the 400,000 on deposit for 2 months must be in your name alone. It can not be a joint account with your wife.

It is a hassle in the sense that getting an extension based on marriage involves more paperwork, for both you and immigration. Also you will get a temporary extension of 30 days first, after which you have to come back to get th rest of the year. For that reason immigration prefers you to be on an extension baseed on work. But you can switch, that is no problem.

Better contact immigration to see which documents they need, that differs from ofice to office.

Rule is you must live together with your wife and have either an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months. In both cases money has to be yours.

Documents they will want:

- passport

- marriage certificate

- wife's ID

- photo's of you and your wife and house

- map showing your house

- your wife has to come with you to be intervieuwd

I have a question for you. Once one has been approved for the extension - and immigration extends the date in your passport one month past the expiration date, are you able to have your bank balance drop below the 400,000 baht prior to you receiving the one year extension?