Trusted Pi Or Lawyer In Bangkok?

WingKei

This is a follow up thread to my original thread regarding bail out: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Urgent-Advic...ed-t241067.html

I was wondering if any members can suggested a trusted PI or lawyer in the Bangkok area where they can assist in confirming whether or not someone is in the custody of the police.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks.

This is a follow up thread to my original thread regarding bail out: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Urgent-Advic...ed-t241067.html

I was wondering if any members can suggested a trusted PI or lawyer in the Bangkok area where they can assist in confirming whether or not someone is in the custody of the police.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks.

try TV's own legal team, check with George, or Tilleke and Gibbons law firm (google with this title and you'll find them)

There are very few female drugs users in Thailand. If she uses drugs she's probably not the kind of girl you want to spent the rest of your life with. There's a big chance you're being scammed. A typical trick that bargirls use to scam tourists is "a brother is jail" that needs to be bailed out. Tourists feel sorry the girl has to work for the bad brother and give money.

I wouldn't care about it. There's is very little you can do anyway (besides loosing your money on equally corrupt police officers). If she really used drugs, she'll be send to jail for about 3 years (if she confesses) or more (if she doesn't confess). If she also sold drugs, she'll get 10 years or more.

I have seen this routine played out before. Time for you to reactivate your common sense chip. A PI will not help and in this case will only cost you additional money once they get the meter running. Cut your losses and walk away.

You met this girl in a bar didn't you?

- If it's a scam, you'll hear back from her with a more desperate plea. Wwhen that happens, say ok, you will come to the prison and see what can be done. Chances are you won't get a response or she'll say that no visitors are allowed.

- If she is a druggie, then a jail stint may do her some good. It will get her rehab Thai style and keep her from selling her flesh for drugs and prevent her from using.

_ If she's still working the bar trade, then obviously the money you were sending wasn't enough. How much were yous sending every month?

You can also ask her what her outher customers are sending to "bail" her out.

Think I'm harsh? Nope. Just been there, seen it, been screwed over, and know the tricks of the trade. Was the magical number 20,000 baht ? That seems to be the preferred number for these requests.

What's the Thai law for someone caught with drugs? Is there one for someone caught taking drugs?

min 5 years ( but depends what she was caught with )

but you have been with her 2 months !!! ...

Just a quick one, who told you she was in Jail????? ....... as if SHE rang you, more then likely she is not in there, as they take ALL MOBILES away from you and only a LAWYER or a FREIND can call on her behalf ( not like the west where u get one phone call :o )

but i would suggest to stay WELL AWAY

kriswillems: From what she said the host of the party she attended spiked people's drinks with drugs. But i'm guessing she's been convicted with connections to the host/host's friend as they were caught with drugs.

She just sent me several texts saying she's in jail blah blah blah... why aren't you contacting me blah blah blah...

I've contacted several PIs and one have already turned this case down.

She just sent me several texts saying she's in jail blah blah blah... why aren't you contacting me blah blah blah...

from my last post

Just a quick one, who told you she was in Jail????? ....... as if SHE rang you, more then likely she is not in there, as they take ALL MOBILES away from you and only a LAWYER or a FREIND can call on her behalf ( not like the west where u get one phone call )

enough said...

but just out of interest how much bail money does she require??? and what EXACTLY is the charge??? .... also what POLICE STATION is she staying at??

as if she text you what police station she is at, maybe one of the TV members can ring up in Thai and ask if she is there???? .... simple question to ask with a perfect answer

FWIW ... in an internet shop adjacent to a well known BKK entertainment venue I can confirm the storied bargirl going down a list of five "boyfriends" emailing them (individually) requesting "help" for a sick relative. She was using a form letter, then slowly and deliberately replacing each name. I was able to read everything when the bg and the temporary shop attendant asked me "how make print?" The letters started as My Darling Xxxxxx, How are you? I miss you too much... Indeed.

I was 50/50 before this post. Sending you texts? Not from any thai jail or prison I've ever heard of. Case closed.

You may feel bad but that's the game. Time to move on. If you need closure pop back to the area you met her next time you are over and then you'll just be glad you walked away now... if you do.

If you look social networking websites that focus on Thailand you'll find enormous amounts of girls that have a "second job": dating farang for money. Many of them don't think about themselves as bargirls. There's a whole new generation of modern bargirls coming and the scamming techniques are sometimes equal to techniques that Nigerian scammers use. They make up stories like:

- a brother in jail that needs to be bailed out

- a very young brother that has cancer and can only survive with imported, very expensive medicines

- a brother that gambled with the money of the parents

- a study loan that needs to paid back

- a husband that was shot or died in a terrible traffic accident, leaving her and 2 small children behind

- a husband that beats her up until she almost died

All stories come down to the same thing: the girl is basically a very good girl but she has very bad luck in her life.

Some of these stories are actually true, but most are not.

In some villages 95% of the girls dreams about having a farang husband. A very big amount of these girls is willing to travel to and work in Pattaya or Bangkok as a bargirl to achieve this goal. People are driven by materialism, they are blinded by the luxury girls in their hometown have that married to a farang. Many bargirls carry mobile phones that cost enough to provide 6 months income to average family is in North-East.

How much do you really know about this girl?

Depending on the district (เขต) she was arrested in; if in fact, she's actually even in jail she's being held there.

Lumpini is the district for Nana area,

ThongLo is the district for Soi Cowboy area,

Bangrak is the district for the Patpong area

That pretty much covers the nefarious nite life areas.

As an aside you could P/M a willing participant here in Bangkok her mobile number. They could call from this end and see if things are on the up and up.

As an aside; I remember a Nana Parking Lot Girl who was busted for selling (ยาบ้า) crystal meth. Her parking lot compadres posted bail for her, and a "sponsor" paid for an attorney for the defense as the case went to trial. She still ended up doing 6 months in a re-hab facility, which she said after her release was much preferable to doing that time in the women's prison.

I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep, nor spend a single satang on this ordeal, however strong your feelings are. In over 4 years here I've NEVER seen a thai person's family or their close friends fail step up to the plate to try to sort out something like this.

I think something is rotten in Denmark, errrr Bangkok I mean.

Good Luck, let us know, we're on the edge of our seats and waiting with bated breath. ..

As an aside: Because the thais have a penchant for using moronic and mostly single syllable first names, (ชื่อเล่น) aka; 'play names', calling the Police Station without her given first name (ชื่อจริง) 'real name' & her (นามสกุล) 'surname' will be as worthless as tits on a bull.

I guess it comes down to how well do you really know her? Do you have a copy of her passport, her official thai i/d, drivers license, school i/d or anything with her real name on it.

(edited for the aside remarks)

Edited by tod-daniels

If you look social networking websites that focus on Thailand you'll find enormous amounts of girls that have a "second job": dating farang for money. Many of them don't think about themselves as bargirls. There's a whole new generation of modern bargirls coming and the scamming techniques are sometimes equal to techniques that Nigerian scammers use. They make up stories like:

- a very young brother that has cancer and can only survive with imported, very expensive medicines

- a husband that was shot or died in a terrible traffic accident, leaving her and 2 small children behind

All stories come down to the same thing: the girl is basically a very good girl but she has very bad luck in her life.

In some villages 95% of the girls dreams about having a farang husband. A very big amount of these girls is willing to travel to and work in Pattaya or Bangkok as a bargirl to achieve this goal. People are driven by materialism, they are blinded by the luxury girls in their hometown have that married to a farang. Many bargirls carry mobile phones that cost enough to provide 6 months income to average family is in North-East.

I liked the old, timeless excuse BUFFALO HIM DEAD much better.

Yeah, it's moved off the streets and onto the dating sites as well as places like hi5.com (notice the story about that site being a front for prostituting girls out?)

The other big area of development is the webcam/chat girls...they wrote the book on this, especially Filipinas, because their English is so much better in most cases.

I actually met two g/f's (on-line) that turned out to be great girls in the Phils, but I was also scammed once (the only time in my life I've been burned giving money to someone, between $200-300 USD) by a girl I had been talking to for a long time and who had never asked for money...I always had the idea the pictures were fake (she wouldn't ever use a webcam), but I guess it was my wife of verifying it, I just learned a somewhat expensive lesson the hard way. But there are many worse stories.

The irony is that she SUPPOSEDLY went to the US on a K-1 visa, only to find out that the guy (much older) already had an American wife and couldn't actually keep her for more than 90 days as a plaything. Even though I doubt that story is true, it made me feel a little bit better...but I wouldn't be suprised if she made that up to.

The ones you most commonly get in PHILS are silly things like money for cell phone loads, sick relatives, putting themselves through school and trying to take care of older or younger family members, money for university exams/fees...this girl had me believing her family had died on a PAL flight about 10 years ago. I even looked up the names of the family members on the passenger list, and they corresponded with her family name, although I should have dug a lot deeper. She had a really well-crafted story...it was hard to poke holes into it, and she used the image of the girl from the picture to lure me in...and of course, we talked on the phone, too.

The whole scam originated in Russia and the Ukraine. There it's called the Smokinhotkova Scam. Just take pictures of Russian models, Russian Playboy Magazine, Anna Kournikova/Maria Sharapova...and pay men or ugly girls to answer all the e-mails and marriage requests....usually it's they need money for visa (you can't get a visa unless the man first visits, and then he applies for the girl, not the other way around), money for passport, money for English or driving lessons, money for computer, sick uncle/aunt afflicted by alcoholism due to the horrible economy and factory closings. Of course, the girl will never be able to show her face on webcam or prove she exists...but she will always make up excuses for not doing so....this doesn't work as well as it did 5-10 years ago, as most parts of the relatively industrialized world now have internet access/connections and webcam.

Edited by caulfield2

from my last post

Just a quick one, who told you she was in Jail????? ....... as if SHE rang you, more then likely she is not in there, as they take ALL MOBILES away from you and only a LAWYER or a FREIND can call on her behalf ( not like the west where u get one phone call )

enough said...

but just out of interest how much bail money does she require??? and what EXACTLY is the charge??? .... also what POLICE STATION is she staying at??

as if she text you what police station she is at, maybe one of the TV members can ring up in Thai and ask if she is there???? .... simple question to ask with a perfect answer

So here's the update:

She asked for $2,000 (US or CDN) to be Western Unioned. She was very vague on the charge (something about her friend getting busted by the police having drugs and she was callled in and was tested for drugs in her system and was thrown into custody) and whenever I asked where's she being held and whether or not I can speak with someone she would either say no or there's nobody around.

Apparently on the same day she was transferred to "jail" (while still having access to her three mobile phones) she was "bailed out" by her mom's friend. Ever since she's been trying to get a hold of me.

I do have her passport information so it's her real name along with related details from the passport.

I just want to thank all the members here for their suggestion, advice and support. You've been of great assistance.

your last post sums it all up....

She asked for $2,000 (US or CDN) to be Western Unioned.

typical bail is 200,000 THB and not 70,000 as she is asking for, also why western union ( or is she used to receiveing money this way )

three mobile phones

why on earth does she have 3 mobile phones !!! ... this is a very good sign she is working more then 1 guy ( also no way would she have 3 mobiles in Jail, A) not allowed :o they would get stolen even if she did have them on her )

She was very vague on the charge

its a bloody simple answer and you should at least have a straight answer

she was "bailed out" by her mom's friend

i thought she wanted the money so she could GET OUT OF JAIL........ so the story has changed?

Anyway, i hope we have helped you out, but DO NOT SEND HER MONEY

as the saying goes., there are plenty more fish in the Sea

Can we not turn this into a Nigerian scam? Tell her that you will actually be sending her $10,000 by Western Union, but that you need her to send $200 by WU to you first because your local WU office only accepts prior-payment of the sending fee etc etc (or some other complete rubbish excuse).

Simon

typical bail is 200,000 THB and not 70,000 as she is asking for, also why western union ( or is she used to receiveing money this way )

three mobile phones

why on earth does she have 3 mobile phones !!! ... this is a very good sign she is working more then 1 guy ( also no way would she have 3 mobiles in Jail, A) not allowed :o they would get stolen even if she did have them on her )

i thought she wanted the money so she could GET OUT OF JAIL........ so the story has changed?

It was when I broke it off with her while she was in "prison" that later on the day she texts me to tell me her mom's friend bailed her out. So in the end I did not send money and broke it off although she's been attempting to contact me since "coming out of jail".

Edited by WingKei

I do not have anyone to recommend, but I can tell who whom to stay clear of.

I was in a similar situation last year and *thought* I needed a PI.

I came accross www dot thai - spy dot com

Who also seem to have a forum account here on TV, albeit not having logged in for a long time. In any case, we agreed on the scope of the project and I sent a prepayment to cover travel expenses which is quite common with PI work. They got the money and that was the last I heard from them.

When you think you are being ripped off and you want a PI, make sure the PI themselves aren't going to rip you off.

Only deal with them face to face if you have not dealt with them before or received recommendations from people you know in person.

three mobile phones

why on earth does she have 3 mobile phones !!! ... this is a very good sign she is working more then 1 guy ( also no way would she have 3 mobiles in Jail, A) not allowed :D they would get stolen even if she did have them on her )

It was when I broke it off with her while she was in "prison" that later on the day she texts me to tell me her mom's friend bailed her out. So in the end I did not send money and broke it off although she's been attempting to contact me since "coming out of jail".

Forget her my friend, get on with your life!! :o:D