New Floating Market In Minburi Soon

george

City administration to open new floating market in Min Buri in 3 months

MINBURI: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will open a new floating market on the Saensaeb Canal in Min Buri in three months, a deputy BMA governor said Monday.

Thaya Teepsuwan said the BMA would spend about Bt5 million to restore an old pier at a deserted mill and improve the landscape nearby and turn the area into the new Min Buri floating market.

The works would be done in 3 months and the BMA will the new tourist spot, she said.

The BMA would spend two more months, trying to improve the water quality in the area.

Eight district offices of Min Buri, Nong Chok, Khan Nayao, Bang Kapi, Bueng Kum, Saphan Sung, Klong Samwa, and Lat Krabang would cooperate in operating the new floating market.

-- The Nation 2009-02-09

MINBURI: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will open a new floating market on the Saensaeb Canal in Min Buri in three months, a deputy BMA governor said Monday.

Thaya Teepsuwan said the BMA would spend about Bt5 million to restore an old pier at a deserted mill and improve the landscape nearby and turn the area into the new Min Buri floating market.

The works would be done in 3 months and the BMA will the new tourist spot, she said.

The BMA would spend two more months, trying to improve the water quality in the area.

Eight district offices of Min Buri, Nong Chok, Khan Nayao, Bang Kapi, Bueng Kum, Saphan Sung, Klong Samwa, and Lat Krabang would cooperate in operating the new floating market.

-- The Nation 2009-02-09

Just the thing we need-that will be nr 7 in the BMA-area. And as if Minburi was not already the completely unknown but proud holder of JJ (chatuchak weekend) nr 2 market.

The BMA also proposed to extend the Klong Saen saep canal boat from Bangkapi onward to Minburi-if that goes ahead tyou can at least arrive in proper style then

Read that and I had a laugh... just wait 30 years and all of MinBuri will be a floating market!!!! For free!

P.S. It's nice to see you posting news again, george... you have not been doing this for some time, and I always liked it when you did. I see tonight you've been posting news left and right. good on you.

• 3 years later...

Well 3months turned out to be 3 years but they finally made it!. I hear the new floating market will be open in 2 weeks from now.

2 weeks? really?

Can anyone advise how to get to the place where the market will be? either driving or public transport...

A trip by boat sounds good also, and i see they mention a proposed extension of river boat going from the Bang Kapi peir...which i am led to believe is near the mall Bang Kapi??.

I have never been able to find the peir at Bang Kapi..any tips would be greatly appreciated smile.png

edit: found my own answer quickly enough..for those that also didnt know..

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=13.764646,100.643354

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Well 3months turned out to be 3 years but they finally made it!. I hear the new floating market will be open in 2 weeks from now.

A trip by boat sounds good also, and i see they mention a proposed extension of river boat going from the Bang Kapi peir...which i am led to believe is near the mall Bang Kapi??.

I have never been able to find the peir at Bang Kapi..any tips would be greatly appreciated smile.png

edit: found my own answer quickly enough..for those that also didnt know..

http://maps.google.c...4646,100.643354

Gee, it seems that every province and district wants a floating market these days.....

The BMA funded and built new piers between Bagkapi (Wat Sri Bunreuang) and Miniburi back in 08 & 09: 14 piers, 11km. The intention was to extended the Sansaeb ferry service by mid June 09. However, the Sansaeb ferry operator didn't think that it was profitable enough. The BMA tried again thru 10 and 11 and was hoping it would happen by the end of 2011 but still no regular service. Not sure if there has been a change of heart by the Sansaeb ferry operator since then?

You can read all about it at 2Bangkok.com (a few pics as well), http://2bangkok.com/forum/showthread.php?2234-BKK-Rivers-Canals/page8

You'll even see a ref in post #107 (1 Feb 09) about the intention for a floating market;

"1. After opening the Saensaeb boat to Minburi, he is going to set up Minburi Floating Market as a new tourist spot in Minburi - with Halal food sellign since Minburi has significan number of Muslim livign alogn the canal and aroudn towntown Minburi"

• 4 weeks later...

Where is the JJ2 market, is that the market behind Villa on Ramkamheang?

NO-that is the saturday (not much going on sun-though it says weekend)market in MINburi-a dedicated large roofed area and the streets beside-for more impromptu sellers. Mainly 2nd hd clothes and stuff for really poor people-plus the (after all its Muslimburi) green arab holy writings (on the wall?) sellers.

Buses to Minburi are pelntiful-as anyone with any sense of BKK would understand. Like the 26 from Mochit, via ram Indira, the 501 along Sukhumvit, the 502 from Vict. Monument, the 519 from Klong Teoy, maybe even faster now from Lard krabang ARLstop. (549 from airport)

MINIvans are much faster-from Vict. Monument and mall bangkapi-just follow crowd coming off SSaeb boats.

The Bangkapi/Mall pier is right behind the behemoth sales place of same name-the final end of the boatline is 1 stop beyond-just behind one of 2 bridges-just look for a few 100 waiting boats.

Where is the JJ2 market, is that the market behind Villa on Ramkamheang?

NO-that is the saturday (not much going on sun-though it says weekend)market in MINburi-a dedicated large roofed area and the streets beside-for more impromptu sellers. Mainly 2nd hd clothes and stuff for really poor people-plus the (after all its Muslimburi) green arab holy writings (on the wall?) sellers.

Buses to Minburi are pelntiful-as anyone with any sense of BKK would understand. Like the 26 from Mochit, via ram Indira, the 501 along Sukhumvit, the 502 from Vict. Monument, the 519 from Klong Teoy, maybe even faster now from Lard krabang ARLstop. (549 from airport)

MINIvans are much faster-from Vict. Monument and mall bangkapi-just follow crowd coming off SSaeb boats.

The Bangkapi/Mall pier is right behind the behemoth sales place of same name-the final end of the boatline is 1 stop beyond-just behind one of 2 bridges-just look for a few 100 waiting boats.

I live in Bang Kapi, across from the Mall BK, very familiar with pier. Muslimburi.... hahahahaha, Thanks for the info!!!!

• 5 months later...

I just saw this article on this floating market. FYI!

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2012/11/new-floating-market-debuts/

BANGKOK, 28 November 2012: The first-ever floating market in Bangkok’s eastern suburb of Min Buri district opened last June claiming it is the only spot where visitors can see Buddhist monks, conducting early morning alms round using boats.

Kwan Riam Floating Market, located on Saen Saeb canal arguably the longest and possibly the oldest waterways in the capital, is one of the newest tourist attractions for visitors to Bangkok.

The weekend floating market was built to replicate traditional life along the canal for the new generation to learn more of the long history of Saen Saeb canal and the communities that live on its banks.