New Car Prices, And Negotiating A Purchase

tedkarma

I bought a used pick up a few years ago and it was like killing his grandmother to get the guy to come off the price even B10,000.

Am now interested in purchasing a new car - and have noticed they all have a preprinted list of prices.

Does anyone have any experience with this (I'm sure they do!). Is the price quite flexible or are you lucky to get a few thousand baht off?

Glad to take any advice!

Was also told that there was a substantial price difference in buying upcountry v buying down here on Phuket (on a Toyota Tiger).. Makes no sense to me but TiT.

I am curious how much a "substantial difference" might be? Worth the trip to make the purchase - plus the small risk of antagonizing your local dealer?

I have, btw, had extrememly good luck with the Mazda dealers service department.

It was a 'substantial difference' I believe it was ballpark 680k in Korat v >800k on Phuket for the same vehicle (Tiger with high body suspension etc)..

Seemed crazy that such a variation in retail prices could exist (nearly 15%) for the same product ??

Edited by LivinLOS

It was a 'substantial difference' I believe it was ballpark 680k in Korat v >800k on Phuket for the same vehicle (Tiger with high body suspension etc)..

Seemed crazy that such a variation in retail prices could exist (nearly 15%) for the same product ??

Geez, that's worth making the trip for. If it's a quality vehicle (Honda, Toyota) - you aren't going to need much dealer help anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Did you buy up there?

Please check this out first...

My buddy who works offshore and has bought land up around Korat told me this.. It was also perhaps a year ago when he said so..

He wanted a Toyota Tiger with the big suspension package.. Perhaps due to amounts sold the big suspension was more expensive an upgrade down here where it is considered the norm up there ?? Theres too many things for me to know with certainty..

Only it was the only data I could offer you so take that for what its worth.. I truly cant remember what the local Toyota place offered him but it was >800 with the tiger and upgrades.. 800 maybee 850 etc.. He had already priced it at 680 in Korat but due to him working flat out for the US military in the Middle east currently I have not seen him in months..

Seem worth checking out. Have friends who live up there anyway. They could just drop in.

Do you think they could do a Phuket registration from up there - or would one just register up there - then change it down here?

I have a motorcycle registered in BKK (where I bought it - when I was living there) and just keep renewing it here.

Goo thoughts - thanks for the input. I don't mind fishing a bit to save a good sum of money. Easier than working for it!

Doubt they could reg. it for you in Phuket. but not that hard to do yourself. My bike was also reg. in BKK and have changed it to my name and just keep renewing it. Liked the plate #. A friend of mine sells veh. at a local Toyota dealer here upcountry and could give you prices over the phone if you're really interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Why buy a brand new car???? :D Unless you are sure to keep it for many years!

I mean......at the moment you close the deal you've already lost at least 100,000 THB :o

Go for a 2nd hand, 1 or 2 years old.....and save a lot of money!

Also consider the insurance when you buy.....I intended to buy a Chevy Colorado with down payment and finance..... ( I am a poor guy :D ) but they asked for 33,000 Baht for a 1 year first class insurance.....instead I bought a 2nd hand Volvo sedan included 8 months first class insurance....when I renew the insurance the price is only 15,000 THB/year! :D

new models usually come with a 3 year or 100,000km warranty and free labour for the first 50,000km of services.

with second hand cars here you really have no idea what you might be buying.

crashed cars that should be write offs are rebuilt , front halves are welded onto rear halves , cars are driven flat out and not regularly maintained , and spare parts ,especially for imported cars will cost a fortune.

second hand here is a bit of a gamble.

first class insurance at 33000b is too much.

should be 15000b to 23000b.

but a volvo sedan is probably nicer than any kind of chevrolet.!

Edited by taxexile

I bought a used pick up a few years ago and it was like killing his grandmother to get the guy to come off the price even B10,000. 

Am now interested in purchasing a new car - and have noticed they all have a preprinted list of prices. 

Does anyone have any experience with this (I'm sure they do!).  Is the price quite flexible or are you lucky to get a few thousand baht off?

Glad to take any advice!

I bought a new MB about 9 months ago....no discount but the dealer picked up the first year of insurance and added some extras. Maybe some brands allow for dealing but I don't think MB does. I am happy with the car. And I enjoy driving in BKK...it is a challenge.

In my experience, and that of others I know, the new car price is fixed. My guess is that if they lowered your price 10,000 bht, then they most likely took a 'freebie' off the table, like maybe the baht of gold, or window film, special bumper, bed liner, insurance, reg, etc.,

I've also heard rumors of different prices in different areas, but the tips I followed up on last year never held water... Last year's model, newish trade-in (used), no freebies at all, or just bullshit :o

Good luck, and please report back your results.. :D

In my experience, and that of others I know, the new car price is fixed. My guess is that if they lowered your price 10,000 bht, then they most likely took a 'freebie' off the table, like maybe the baht of gold, or window film, special bumper, bed liner, insurance, reg, etc.,

I've also heard rumors of different prices in different areas, but the tips I followed up on last year never held water... Last year's model, newish trade-in (used), no freebies at all, or just bullshit  :o

Good luck, and please report back your results.. :D

Your so right, as usual. The Japanese love to pay retail, although they are being introduced to super-stores with low prices, bargaining is just not possible. Often referred to as "fair trade", it is manufacturers controlling retail prices and protecting their profit margins.

General Motors took a page from them and about ten years ago started a no bargaining policy. It is a relief in a way, since doing business for a new car in the U.S. is an ordeal for most who just don't go in a pay the sticker price.

When I bought my Toyota, and I insisted on a discout, they gave me 2k baht as a token. I did get first year first class insurance free from them.

I don't know about European or U.S. manufactured cars, but published prices on Japanese cars is it or you don't get the car. I am sure the dealers have price agreements with the manufacturers, which are illegal in the U.S..

I have bought several new cars here.

I have found Bangers to be the cheapest place but only by about 10-20k baht.

The discount you can get from the dealer really depends on the market at the time. If certain models are selling badly then they will discount, if there is a waiting list then no discounts.

The Ford Everest is struggling at the moment, I have seen it on promotiom at 877k baht.

• 1 month later...

I bought a new car two months ago in Phuket town. That was the hardest bit of price negotiating I've ever done. Including the walk out, go to a competing dealer, come back tomorrow tricks - saved me about 80K in total if I remember right. Discounts are always available on everything but I suspect it depends on individual circumstances - this was a stock vehicle, standing in the showroom, and soon to be superceded by an updated model (albeit much higher-priced ), so it was already discounted anyway - there are many factors to consider.

I checked by ringing a main BKK dealer, and they wouldn't budge on *list* price. So in this case Phuket was a lot cheaper.

Bought a used car a few years back and it turned out to be a heap of s**t. Had to effectively throw it away. Watch out! - They're not big on western-style vehicle servicing in LOS! :o

Edited by Jingjok

i recently bought a new toyota pick up , i tried about 6 or 7 dealers around bangkok , and the discounts and freebies were minimal , even when my thai in-laws went on my behalf the deal was the same.

the list price was 861,000b and they would throw in a back liner,window film and interior mats , value about 8 -10000b. ,

one dealer offered 15% off any extras purchased and fitted at his dealership.

one dealer would drop another 5000b if i signed the order form there and then.

my sister - in -laws husband is a fleet buyer and buys direct from the toyota factory , his price was 803,000 without any extras or anything.

obviously , i bought it through him , and although there was a mix up with the paperwork and some delays and i had to drive around finding and getting all the extras , the saving was phenomenal.

but it gives some idea of the dealers mark up.

if the model is popular then large dealer discounts are unlikely as the cars sell themselves , with slow selling models or colours discounts and freebies are easier to negotiate.

i doubt if there is a great deal of difference in prices around the country unless you happen to catch a "special offer " promotion.