Govt. Insurance For Private School Employees

enuff said

This was in the Tuesday edition:

The government will restore the rights of private school teachers and employees to access healthcare services under the social security scheme, Education Minister, Jurin Laksanawisit said yesterday.

He was speaking at the opening ceremony of the "Private education for better future" conference at the Impact Arena Exhibition Centre, Nonthaburi province.

Jurin said he had signed the draft of a private school 2007 bill to amend Article 86 - making private-school employees and teachers eligible for cover under the social-security scheme, and giving them access to government healthcare services.

The legislation - introduced by the previous government - says social security and labour laws no longer apply to private schools, and employers are not required to make monthly contributions to the Social Security Fund. For employees, the consequences are significant.

Insured employees will be eligible for free medical treatment, pension, financial assistance in the event of childbirth, occupational accident, unemployment and death.

Sounds like some good news for a change.

'nuff said

~

This was in the Tuesday edition:

The government will restore the rights of private school teachers and employees to access healthcare services under the social security scheme, Education Minister, Jurin Laksanawisit said yesterday.

He was speaking at the opening ceremony of the "Private education for better future" conference at the Impact Arena Exhibition Centre, Nonthaburi province.

Jurin said he had signed the draft of a private school 2007 bill to amend Article 86 - making private-school employees and teachers eligible for cover under the social-security scheme, and giving them access to government healthcare services.

The legislation - introduced by the previous government - says social security and labour laws no longer apply to private schools, and employers are not required to make monthly contributions to the Social Security Fund. For employees, the consequences are significant.

Insured employees will be eligible for free medical treatment, pension, financial assistance in the event of childbirth, occupational accident, unemployment and death.

Sounds like some good news for a change.

'nuff said

~

Very interesting as my accountant had told me that the laws had been changed and though I have to pay social security payments for four staff (to qualify for a work permit) I couldn't cover myself. Has this now changed and can I cover myself and wife who is a co-managing director of our school? I'd be very interested to know more about this

"In general terms, stories like this one are not referring to foreign teachers, unless specificlly stated."

What do you base that statement on?

Foreign teachers working at private schools were included before the change last year.

I think you're looking at it backwards. Foreigners will be included unless specifically excluded.

FYI, private school employees excluded last year were able to sign up and pay soc sec on their own. Instead of the 750 baht I had been paying, paying on my own is only 432 baht. It appears it'll be going back up soon.

Terry