Reasonably Priced Wireless Internet Hotspots

expat98

I'm finally getting with the program and bought a wireless Internet card for my laptop. Works great at the hotspots I've tried so far in Bangkok, but they're all bloody expensive! For example, prepaid accounts for the KSC hotspots in Starbucks and other places are B150 for 1 hour, or B600 for 5 hours, or B1500 for 20 hours (See http://wifi.ksc.net/buyOnline.php).

TOT hotspot prices are even worse: B200 for 1 hour, or B450 for 3 hours (see http://www.tothotspot.com/eng/product.html).

Anyone know of something cheaper, either prepaid or a subscription plan? A subscription plan for unlimited access would be perfect. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I remember something about being able to access KSC wireless hotspots if you sign up for their home broadband service. Anyone know?

What about the pricing of True wi-fi hotspots? Do you get free access or a discount if you sign up for their home broadband service?

Thanks

wireless pricing seems to be over the top at the moment, though EDGE/GPRS is acceptable in thailand. I am down in singapore at the moment and the best price here seems to be the hotel I am staying at having a card for 3 continous hours usage at 240 baht ( has to be used all in one go). the local telecoms wants 150baht for half hour. your other choice is to run netstumbler and choose an access point with an SSID of linksys/default/netgear :o

If you are using DTAC postpaid mobile service (monthly line),then they give you free unlimited wifi access to all KSC HOTSTOPS.

Why don't u go to use wifi at Siam Discovery and Siam Centre,there are a lot of free hotspots.WHy pay when u can get it for free .If you really wanna use KSC hotspots,then better subscribe a Dtac number of a lower promotion/month such as their My pacakge for 350 Baht/month.But please ask before the wifi promotion first.Coz I dont know of late.I got the promotion 4 months ago.But I think that it's still available.

I have a "hot spot" at my one-room office behind Fortune IT Mall. The speed is up to 2048/512. I only charge 60 baht per hour. There's a coffee in the apartment complex that you can sit in, or you can sit just outside of the office. I'm open till late in the evening most nights. PM me if you want the map.

Why don't u go to use wifi at Siam Discovery and Siam Centre,there are a lot of free hotspots.WHy pay when u can get it for free .If you really wanna use KSC hotspots,then better subscribe a Dtac number of a lower promotion/month such as their My pacakge for 350 Baht/month.But please ask before the wifi promotion first.Coz I dont know of late.I got the promotion 4 months ago.But I think that it's still available.

Do you happen to know if there's anywhere at Siam Discover Center where you can plug in your laptop? My battery is old and only lasts for 20 minutes.

I will look into subscribing with DTAC's cell phone service too. I currently use a pre-paid SIM with them.

thanks

If you are using DTAC postpaid mobile service (monthly line),then they give you free unlimited wifi access to all KSC HOTSTOPS.

Hey that's cool. The things they never tell you :o Is it really free though ? Or do they add it to your phone bill ? Edit: found it, free but no details.

Map of their KSC hotspot coverage

Register WIFI account/get login (sent by SMS).

Very cool. Now if they let you charge your laptop in these places I'd stay there all day !

Edited by Crushdepth

Sit outside the business class lounges at Don Muang Airport = free wireless

(especially the one past the stairs for gates 1 - 7 )

you will have to walk down a little further as the access point is to the rear of the lounge - but it goes through the wall ok!

./P