Car Import - From Uk

Johnmacs

You have given the doubters the opportunity to view your project and now it's up to them, RIP. :)

How right you are - but that will entail them probably having to sober up - perhaps thats asking a little too much.

I live 500 meters from the garage - the owner has my HP number.

I will meet with any visitors after 18:00 working days and most week-ends.

Thai speak "Up To You"

I am also willing to reveal (Verbal only) the costs involved.

Johnmacs

See attachments - note Thai number plate - car on the lift - TR6 in the shot also.

post-76408-1244871534_thumb.jpg

post-76408-1244871576_thumb.jpg

post-76408-1244871604_thumb.jpg

post-76408-1244871642_thumb.jpg

post-76408-1244871669_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this forum and topic about discussion and information and yes the original poster took a lot of stick from others who doubted his honesty and integrity and probably felt justifiably pis--d off about it, he appears to have exactly what he said so there really is no need for either parties to flame each other, details in the import of this vehicle could well have changed from the original estimates but that is par for the course when it comes to customs and duty.

How could the Thai Customs pick up on it with all that years old deep rust and rotten door bottoms etc,etc. Hope your 'new' chassis is is straiter than the 'brand new' body then you can sort out the wonky door shuts etc. Finally its a targa model for everybody who doesn't know considrably less appealing than a proper convertable.

How could the Thai Customs pick up on it with all that years old deep rust and rotten door bottoms etc,etc. Hope your 'new' chassis is is straiter than the 'brand new' body then you can sort out the wonky door shuts etc. Finally its a targa model for everybody who doesn't know considrably less appealing than a proper convertable.

Miaow, Miaow, but is it a TR6 which the poster spoke about.

[quote xbusman'

Well we purely are interested in all the gory details as they arise. If you had no questions, never thought to use the search function to educate yourself on the process, and are confident in your ability to get it through customs, exactly why are you posting? You can keep a dairy at home and not waste bandwidth. If you plan on educating all us newbies on the process of importing a car, we stand ready to learn as no one has ever thought of trying this before. Bet it could be a great business.

Having brought a few vehicles through customs myself, I am truly interested in the entertainment value which your thread has the potential to provide. Please dont stop posting, we are waiting with bated breath for all the fun.

xbusman. you say that you have brought a few vehicles through customs yourself but you appear to doubt that anyone else has the ability to navigate through the problems of customs, sounds like a bit of arrogance there .

Well we purely are interested in all the gory details as they arise. If you had no questions, never thought to use the search function to educate yourself on the process, and are confident in your ability to get it through customs, exactly why are you posting? You can keep a dairy at home and not waste bandwidth. If you plan on educating all us newbies on the process of importing a car, we stand ready to learn as no one has ever thought of trying this before. Bet it could be a great business.

Having brought a few vehicles through customs myself, I am truly interested in the entertainment value which your thread has the potential to provide. Please dont stop posting, we are waiting with bated breath for all the fun.

xbusman. you say that you have brought a few vehicles through customs yourself but you appear to doubt that anyone else has the ability to navigate through the problems of customs, sounds like a bit of arrogance there .

Sorry to disappoint you, I have only brought through motorcycles and then only about 15 containers. Cars are an entirely different animal but as I read the end result I think this guy used pretty much the same process I did. I might be wrong but it appears that he brought in a pretty bad off car, one that had little or no value, and will separately bring in the parts to fix it up. In a round about way, pretty much the way motorcycles are brought in.

I stand by my statement, I think we are all interested in all the gory details. Its been tried by many a person and as best I can tell this is the first success story on this board. My experience with Customs leads me to believe that just about anything can be done for the right amount of money, its just that they are so greedy that it almost always exceeds the pain threshold of most private importation attempts. I take from this thread that the trick is two fold, first bring in something that no one would want for free. The TR6 fits this nicely as anyone who has restored Triumphs already knows. Secondly, be prepared to pay excessive amounts for the privilege, and our OP is being particularly coy with the total amounts. Just the little bit posted indicates that he has spent far more than the car is worth as import payments. I refuse to comment on how someone throws their money, either an Elite card, a TR6, or a sick buffalo, its their money and they can spend it whatever way it makes them happy. Personally though, I generally try to keep my dumb ideas off the board and lurk here to be educated in the ever shifting complexities of Thailand. I think I learned something from this thread as well but I still dont understand why the OP posted though if they were unwilling to share the gory details, whats the point of wasting bandwidth?

Be careful with making assumptions on appearances, if I doubted that anyone else other than me could navigate customs I would have posted such but like I said, if I have stupid ideas I am at least smart enough not to post them.

On contemplation of the above post, I think this is an excellent opportunity to congratulate Johnmacs on his success where so many others have failed. I am sure his classic sport car is going to keep him quite happily busy for many years to come. I for one will be watching for a fresh new TR6 on thai streets one day, to date I have not seen many.

I did run across a dealership not far from Seacon Square that had a TR6, TR7 and about three spitfires for sale. That might be a good contact for the few parts or supplies that might be in Thailand.

Best of luck with the restoration.

U can import cars to Thailand for restauration purposes only. This is what the "Classic Garage" on Highway 36 does exactly. But you can't register the cars anyway, especially if you gonna change chassis. It's not only the import thing. You have to go to ministery of manufactering. They will test the car for roadsafeties and catalyc converter, after that you go to Ministery of transportation and try to get a logbook. A new car you can import and registration in Thailand, Therefore all the Lambos, Ferarris and even new Dodge Challengers and mustangs available in Thailand. But used ones you can't legalle register, unless someone uses papers from some other cars, therefore maybe the chassis change. Have to be carefull. There are 1000s of peaple who try to import any cars with or without "connections" Everyone always failed (except dipolomatic peaple). So i personaly not beleve that now can import used cars. If so i would be nice and i personally want a nice Corvette for a US price. I don't beleve it's possible. Otherwise this would be the big END of boring Vioses, Vigos and Jazzes and this is what the goverment affraid for.

U can import cars to Thailand for restauration purposes only. This is what the "Classic Garage" on Highway 36 does exactly. But you can't register the cars anyway, especially if you gonna change chassis. It's not only the import thing. You have to go to ministery of manufactering. They will test the car for roadsafeties and catalyc converter, after that you go to Ministery of transportation and try to get a logbook. A new car you can import and registration in Thailand, Therefore all the Lambos, Ferarris and even new Dodge Challengers and mustangs available in Thailand. But used ones you can't legalle register, unless someone uses papers from some other cars, therefore maybe the chassis change. Have to be carefull. There are 1000s of peaple who try to import any cars with or without "connections" Everyone always failed (except dipolomatic peaple). So i personaly not beleve that now can import used cars. If so i would be nice and i personally want a nice Corvette for a US price. I don't beleve it's possible. Otherwise this would be the big END of boring Vioses, Vigos and Jazzes and this is what the goverment affraid for.

I bought classic car with blue book from Phuket, had to change to wife’s name for insurance etc in Issan, took it to local office and they went though the car with fine tooth comb and still cost 8k and we had Thai friends who worked in office :D …..so were he can obtain blue book for 12-15K is crap think he has been in bar watching the girls before thinking about his project. :)

If it were the case and that easy every classic sports car fan out there would be doing it and when he rebuilds the car if all paperwork is maybe incorrect then blue bye car and some BIB will have the pleasure of all his labor and of course moneys spent :D ( and as we all understand the BIB always win) well most of the time :D .

I do wish him good luck and shows all of…………………..should I say none bar flies that at least someone won…….still have my doubts :D

I bought classic car with blue book from Phuket, had to change to wife’s name for insurance etc in Issan, took it to local office and they went though the car with fine tooth comb and still cost 8k and we had Thai friends who worked in office :D …..so were he can obtain blue book for 12-15K is crap think he has been in bar watching the girls before thinking about his project. :)

If it were the case and that easy every classic sports car fan out there would be doing it and when he rebuilds the car if all paperwork is maybe incorrect then blue bye car and some BIB will have the pleasure of all his labor and of course moneys spent :D ( and as we all understand the BIB always win) well most of the time :D .

I do wish him good luck and shows all of…………………..should I say none bar flies that at least someone won…….still have my doubts :D

I guess another thing was important with the imported car above: The car is a project anyway and Locals don't ionterested in TR6, they don't even know what is it, as the car is nothging worth in LOS. So they let him pay the custom tax. They got more money than take the car to a custom auction and try to sell it there. I guess nobody would bid anything on that car. Try the same thing with a nice fancy Ferrari, Benz or whatever. In this case i guess they want get that car and will tax it so high, that everyone will give up.

I dunno about other people. but i have not seen the OP state he paid 10,000 pound (540,000b) in duty.

Why is it that people bitch about things even when they have been provided evidence that it happened.

I dunno about other people. but i have not seen the OP state he paid 10,000 pound (540,000b) in duty.

Why is it that people bitch about things even when they have been provided evidence that it happened.

He didn't but apparently he had a dialogue with someone as a pm, check post 70, perhaps they tried and didn't pull it off and are a bit miffed about it, but read some of the earlier doubters and even when the car is here, they are still having a go, at the end of the day even if the car is worth a fiver the point is surely that he got it in, perhaps at a cost that he wasn't really prepared for but that was up to the poster.

In Thailand if you throw enough money around almost anything is possible.

That's the point - previous attempts at importing cars have failed as the persons have not wished to pay exorbitant, unrealistic fees to customs.

See what I'm getting at ?

In Thailand if you throw enough money around almost anything is possible.

That's the point - previous attempts at importing cars have failed as the persons have not wished to pay exorbitant, unrealistic fees to customs.

See what I'm getting at ?

Of course, but the intrinsic value of something does not necessarily have anything to do with the sentimental value, he maybe very attached to this vehicle for reasons unknown to us.

You should have read the previous posts before replying then you should have know that the OP sent me an pm with those figures and asked to not put them on the forum.

If he had used some more civilized language to me in his latest posts I would have given him the advantage of doubt but now I think he not deserves it.

"Of course, but the intrinsic value of something does not necessarily have anything to do with the sentimental value, he maybe very attached to this vehicle for reasons unknown to us"

I agree, but to take this to the extreme, if I am a lottery winner and successfully import my rusty Lada to Thailand paying one million pounds in duty, would I be championed as a pioneer or berated as a fool, as I'm sure it's possible.

Cheers.

Edited by INTJ

"Of course, but the intrinsic value of something does not necessarily have anything to do with the sentimental value, he maybe very attached to this vehicle for reasons unknown to us"

I agree, but to take this to the extreme, if I am a lottery winner and successfully import my rusty Lada to Thailand paying one million pounds in duty, would I be championed as a pioneer or berated as a fool, as I'm sure it's possible.

Cheers.

As he isn't thai I guess he wouldn't give a monkeys about losing face, if that is indeed what some people think, perhaps in his eyes the end justifies the means but whatever I still wish him good luck with his project.

I was a bit late to spot this thread as someone very interested in the subject.

My emotions went on a pretty bumpy ride as I went through the pages.

Admiration/Pity --> Awe --> Confusion --> Curiosity --> Disgust --> Disappointment

Admiration for the OP's guts to go for it. Pity for his doomed failure.

Awe at his proclaimed success.

Confusion at his explanation below. Curiosity about the "other" payments.

Disgust for the mud slinging at the OP.

Disappointment as it appears to be another failure. (as far as I am concerned.)

First of all, I can't even begin to understand the distrust among many posters. I just don't get it.

Why would someone wantto brag that they could import a car to Thailand so much so that they

have to make up a story, and we're talking about a anonymous web-board. People brag about many

things. Girls - understandable, even cars like in "My Ferrari..." - I get it. But one's skill at importing

cars into a corrupt country? Is it that bragworthy?

After all, everyone's here reading this because they'd like to import one themselves, the common

enemy being corrupt customs officials. So why - oh why - don't we quit these petty bitching

and learn from each other????? after all, as we all know, it's a pretty expensive lesson.

For the OP: IF he is ever going to read this again. ( I have a feeling he would )

By opening this you have aroused the curiosity of many who are dyeing to know how it went.

Some of them - like me - don't give much about your car per se - what was it called now? Sorry!

...and definitely don't need photos with or without todays newspaper on the car.

What we need to know is if/how you managed to get thru the corrupt officials "if in Rome" style.

I believe you have an obligation to satisfy that curiosity at least to some extent.

Your post below does a poor job at that.

Not strange at all - I do not wish to go public with the numbers - that may well prove to be a problem by way of exposure.

My calculation was about 213% or 88,000 Bhat. The customs doc's show 123,000 Bhat as paid - this of course is required to be entered into the log book once the restoration is completed and the car inspected.

The "Other" payment was pre agreed before the car left the UK.

By way of the UK log book - customs new a farang owner was involved although neither myself or wife went near laem Chabang.

A close family freiend acted as "Agent" for all the agreements.

NO OTHER CHARGES were levied - including car transporter from the port to my local garge in Sri Racha.

A lump sump agreed figure was paid - in advance.

That figure was agreeable and within my pre concieved budget.

Was it worth it?

Yep -its my car and has been for gone 20 years - its a passion and worth evry Bhat!!!

We don't need to know what the book says. what we need to know is how much you payed.

If you think you can't openly say how much you bribed someone, you don't have to give the exact number.

(If it was me, I wouldn't give a dam_n. The more publicity it gets the better)

A reasonable range as to how close the total you payed was to the estimate you posted at first would be good.

Failing to do so would inevitably make the 540k figure credibility, and make you a despicable member.

Either way, you seem to be satisfied with your deal, and that's good for you.

Please remember any misinformed reader trying to imiatte you may not be as satisfied. (if the figure is drastically higher)

We don't need to know what the book says. what we need to know is how much you payed.

If you think you can't openly say how much you bribed someone, you don't have to give the exact number.

(If it was me, I wouldn't give a dam_n. The more publicity it gets the better)

A reasonable range as to how close the total you payed was to the estimate you posted at first would be good.

Failing to do so would inevitably make the 540k figure credibility, and make you a despicable member.

Either way, you seem to be satisfied with your deal, and that's good for you.

Please remember any misinformed reader trying to imiatte you may not be as satisfied. (if the figure is drastically higher)

Reading the opening post and posts25 and 33 I may have misunderstood the figures ie;import was quoted as apprx 88,000 baht but instead came out at 123,000 baht, post No 1 implied that tea money was being negotiated with customs through a thai intermediary, a figure was agreed on and paid in advance, bearing in mind that I'm not privy to the total paid it would appear that about 8,000 pounds was paid in tea money according to someone that was PMd, I fail to see how this figure if correct makes the poster despicable if thats what he was prepared to pay. :)

I did not understand why all this flak was being shot at the OP. It is his car. He had it for 20 years. He moved. He wanted to take his car with him. He did it. More power to him. The import was motivated by sentimental reasons, not by money. And if he has the money to do it, well great.

I hope he comes back. I think alot of this has to do with jealousy that none of us have successful done it, but some upstart with low posting numbers gets it done on the first shot.

I did not understand why all this flak was being shot at the OP. It is his car. He had it for 20 years. He moved. He wanted to take his car with him. He did it. More power to him. The import was motivated by sentimental reasons, not by money. And if he has the money to do it, well great.

I hope he comes back. I think alot of this has to do with jealousy that none of us have successful done it, but some upstart with low posting numbers gets it done on the first shot.

EVERYONE is able to import their car if they are prepared to pay silly money,which the OP obviously has done.The fuzz about it is that he try to let it shine out on the forum that he imported the car for some odd money which shows from the PM he sent me isn't true.From further posts from the OP it shows also that he has yet only imported part of the car.The chassis still have to arrive.Then after all the car isn't registered yet which might be the biggest hurdle and most expensive part of the whole transaction.

So what is here to be proud of.That he can afford to spend a lot of money on importing a car?

What puzzles me is: When the Op loved and owned this car for the last 20 years, why he let it come to a bad condition like that? All the cars i loved i keept allways in good condition, because i loved them.

Edited by stingray

What puzzles me is: When the Op loved and owned this car for the last 20 years, why he let it come to a bad condition like that? All the cars i loved i keept allways in good condition, because i loved them.

Well, I completely understand. I have (still have) a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider that got me through college, and law school. Right now it is sitting in the yard at my dad's house. I just got tired of fixing it, and it was proving too uncomfortable for use as a daily driver. I still love it. I could not bear to sell it. I just don't have the time or inclination to fix it. I will, one day. When I am an old man with nothing else to do. For now, it is sitting around as a "future project".

P.S., if that TR6 is as unreliable and temperamental as the Alfa Romeo (which it probably is based upon my experience with British automotive 'engineering') then I REALLY REALLY understand. I might just wait until I retire in Thailand and then hire some cheap labor to restore it for me.

Edited by submaniac

I might have dreamt this, but I thought somewhere he said it had a new shell and was made to look old/tired or Thai customs purposes.

Dave

I might have dreamt this, but I thought somewhere he said it had a new shell and was made to look old/tired or Thai customs purposes.

Dave

He did say that and having looked at his pictures it certainly appeared to be a wreck in need of restoration or indeed his people did a very good job making it look that way :) .

So even according to that info. If indeed he had paid 10,000pound to get it in and it gets completely restored then he will still be ok as there was one for 18,500 pounds. But as you cannot get them here he will have a fairly unique car. so i'm sure he will be happy. I agree if Jonny mislead us then that's just not "cricket" :)

So even according to that info. If indeed he had paid 10,000pound to get it in and it gets completely restored then he will still be ok as there was one for 18,500 pounds. But as you cannot get them here he will have a fairly unique car. so i'm sure he will be happy. I agree if Jonny mislead us then that's just not "cricket" :)

Pictures now posted on facebook

Search - John Macsween - South Bank in Normanby, United Kingdom

Full costs incurred will be posted there.

Incidental - 18,500 is for a top car - not A1+++ condition.

This project - as will be explained on Facebook - will hit just short of concours condition.

To other posters (Negative) - TR6 was only produced as a drop head - factory and Lenham produced optional Hardtops - my hard top will be modified to a "T" bar top. This enhances the value.

Cost to restore the car in the UK = Min 20000 GBP - then do the maths to import a valuable car - against the near impossibilty of customs ever releasing such a desirable car.

Project aims to complete in 4-6 months - step by step restoration on face book - body off chassis last Saterday - pictures to post showing door bottoms in rust free condition!!!