Petrol Question

StevieH

someone who knows more about fuel and the like than me might be able to answer this. went to the shell station on huay kaew to fill up the bike today and they seem to have replaced the usual 91 with something called 'v-series'. . . .so i took the staff recommendation and filled up with it, it seems fine, but it's about twice the price of 91. which is annoying. anyone know what this stuff is?

someone who knows more about fuel and the like than me might be able to answer this. went to the shell station on huay kaew to fill up the bike today and they seem to have replaced the usual 91 with something called 'v-series'. . . .so i took the staff recommendation and filled up with it, it seems fine, but it's about twice the price of 91. which is annoying. anyone know what this stuff is?

I don't know what the "v series" brand is, bt I can tell you most petrol stations have 2 91 octane petrol offerings. The cheaper one is gasohol and the more expensive one is not. I buy the more expensive one for my wifes car and equipment using small HP motors, as neither seems to run well on gasohol.

I don't know what the "v series" brand is, bt I can tell you most petrol stations have 2 91 octane petrol offerings. The cheaper one is gasohol and the more expensive one is not. I buy the more expensive one for my wifes car and equipment using small HP motors, as neither seems to run well on gasohol.

It's funny. I just stopped there and was going to post about it now. I had posted a few weeks ago about trying to find it in Chiang Mai.

Anyways, the definitive answer:

The v-series is 95 octane benzine (NOT gasohol). It had been phased out of most stations in Thailand, but there have always been a couple around Chiang Mai that continue to carry it. I just stopped at the Huay Kaew Shell, and yes, they have reintroduced 95 benzine to their line-up.

I don't know how many more stations will bring it back, but I am very happy to have it available close to my home again.

I ride a small sports bike, and want all the burn I can get. 95 is more expensive, but does add a little bit of extra pep to my bike. Now I don't have to go out to Arcade bus station, or Hang Dong to find it!

My local station just 3 days ago has stopped doing 91 as you mentioned, I got the impression that 91 is being phased out countrywide, didn't quite catch his jist. Is this the end of 91?

Bojo

I do not see how they can phase out benzene entirely, since trillions of motor vehicles cannot run on gasohol. Benzene 95 never was cheap, so it will now be even higher. Not sure if the average station has enough separate tanks for all the varieties of fuel.

Economic downturn PB - Government ploy for everyone to buy new cars and banks to lend more money (which can't be paid back).

I was astonished to find yesterday that my local Shell garage on the Hangdong road has stoppped selling 91 regular, but still has 95 regular. My car runs fine on 91 regular (as I've discovered after years spending a lot extra filling it up with 95!) but I'm not putting gasahol in it due to the fact in older cars it can bugger up your fuel system. I don't want to pay exhorbitant prices for 95 either.

Is 91 regular really going to disappear? Unbelievable!! Where still sells it?

Thanks for the information. Because nobody at a gas station can speak English, I always wondered what the differences were and there was nobody to ask and no explanation on the pump. I ride a bike exclusively and want all the extra zip I can get on my sluggish JRD Tornado. It uses very little fuel; so I don't mind paying extra for something that "might" be better, but I don't want to use something that might bugger it up.

Thanks for the information. Because nobody at a gas station can speak English, I always wondered what the differences were and there was nobody to ask and no explanation on the pump. I ride a bike exclusively and want all the extra zip I can get on my sluggish JRD Tornado. It uses very little fuel; so I don't mind paying extra for something that "might" be better, but I don't want to use something that might bugger it up.
Ian, this is important enough that even I have learned how to order fuel in northern Thailand"

benzene gow-sip nung (benzene 91)

You do not say gasohol.

To fill the tank, anything like 'dem tank."

If they say mai mee (do not have 91), ask for benzene gow-sip ha.

Imagine that, PeaceBlondie giving Thai lessons! But in context - getting fuel at a petrol station - you can even get the tones wrong, and they will not think you want to get your cat spayed.

Ian, this is important enough that even I have learned how to order fuel in northern Thailand"

benzene gow-sip nung (benzene 91)

You do not say gasohol.

To fill the tank, anything like 'dem tank."

If they say mai mee (do not have 91), ask for benzene gow-sip ha.

Imagine that, PeaceBlondie giving Thai lessons! But in context - getting fuel at a petrol station - you can even get the tones wrong, and they will not think you want to get your cat spayed.

Thanks, PeaceBlondie, I've cut and pasted that in my information file for future reference. I'll try it out a few times until I get it correct.

The v-series is 95 octane benzine (NOT gasohol). It had been phased out of most stations in Thailand, but there have always been a couple around Chiang Mai that continue to carry it. I just stopped at the Huay Kaew Shell, and yes, they have reintroduced 95 benzine to their line-up.

Excellent news, thanks for the cofirmation. I've got one of the original Vios Turbos and Toyota stick a label on the fuel filler flap with the words "95 Octane Only, Alcohol use strictly prohibited" which until now has been a bit limiting.