Software To Un-partition My Hard Disk

Mobi

I'm using Windows XP.

This is a one time operation, and involves merging an unused partition (D) into my C:drive, on my ageing notebook.

While I'm quite happy to pay for software, I was hoping on this occasion to find a freebie to do this one time thing.

I downloaded a demo version of Magic, and it was just the job, and I followed the steps to merge D into C except it didn't merge it - just showed me how to do it if I paid!!!

Then I found another site that downloads Magic for a free trial period, but not one of the download links works.

Then I tried a number of free partition products, including EASEUS, but all of these only create or delete partitions, none of them, merge one into another.

I've just downloaded Paragon Hard Disk Manager, but this doesn't seem to be what I want at all.

Any suggestions?

I'm using Windows XP.

This is a one time operation, and involves merging an unused partition (D) into my C:drive, on my ageing notebook.

While I'm quite happy to pay for software, I was hoping on this occasion to find a freebie to do this one time thing.

I downloaded a demo version of Magic, and it was just the job, and I followed the steps to merge D into C except it didn't merge it - just showed me how to do it if I paid!!!

Then I found another site that downloads Magic for a free trial period, but not one of the download links works.

Then I tried a number of free partition products, including EASEUS, but all of these only create or delete partitions, none of them, merge one into another.

I've just downloaded Paragon Hard Disk Manager, but this doesn't seem to be what I want at all.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to say that but I now really don't understand what you want to achieve? Partition Magic IS defiantly doing the job you are looking for.

As I mentioned in my post before - if you have Seagte HDD then Segate FREE wizard will do this job for you. Other HDD brands may have the same utilities available (for free)

Let us at least know, on what kind of HDD brand you want to merge the partions. It's also interesting to learn what file system you use. Still FAT32, NTSF...?

In case you are based in Bangkok or Pattaya there are some well known IT shopping centers where you can get the software you need.

Sorry to say that but I now really don't understand what you want to achieve? Partition Magic IS defiantly doing the job you are looking for.

As I mentioned in my post before - if you have Seagte HDD then Segate FREE wizard will do this job for you. Other HDD brands may have the same utilities available (for free)

Let us at least know, on what kind of HDD brand you want to merge the partions. It's also interesting to learn what file system you use. Still FAT32, NTSF...?

In case you are based in Bangkok or Pattaya there are some well known IT shopping centers where you can get the software you need.

Yes, you are quite correct, Partition Magic will do the job, but the demo version I downloaded won't - because it is a demo, and when I tried the "free trial" download for Magic, the downloads wouldn't work - none of them. I don't want to pay for software that will only ever use once, although I will certainly look in Pattaya next time I go.

My disc drive is HITACHI and file system is NTSF.

I always use GParted Live CD http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php It is genuinely free and full featured.

Yes, you are quite correct, Partition Magic will do the job, but the demo version I downloaded won't - because it is a demo, and when I tried the "free trial" download for Magic, the downloads wouldn't work - none of them. I don't want to pay for software that will only ever use once, although I will certainly look in Pattaya next time I go.

My disc drive is HITACHI and file system is NTSF.

I use Paragon.

It came as a freebee with a magazine that I subscribe to.

As far as I can see, Paragon has no facility for merging partitions.

Please advise if you have found otherwise.

jeffer I've used GParted to do what you want with Linux before but haven't tried it with Windows.

I've had a look at GParted, and even downloaded a file, but whilst not a complete computer novice, I can't make head or tail of this, and yes, it seems designed for Linux, but if not, I still don't understand what to do.

gparted is a linux tool, and it would seem that it can be used for Vista (not sure about XP) by booting from a CD rom.

I have downloaded some set up files but they won't open, and I doubt they are the right ones anyway.

I have read a number of sites on this, (from all your links), but I'm afraid I get lost.

It is far too complicated for me. :o

I think you have downloaded the iso file which is a CD image meant to be burned to a CDR. You then boot from the CD and GParted will run automatically. The software you currently use to burn CDs and DVDs should burn the iso image for you (you don't want to simply write the iso to a CD, you need a program that recognizes the iso format and makes a CD using the iso contents).

If you don't have software to do this, there's plenty of freebies out there. This is one...

http://cdburnerxp.se/help/Intro/cdburnerxp

Edited by surface

Download the GParted Live CD here http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/g...mp;big_mirror=0 (This is a CD image)

Burn to a blank CD using ImgBurn http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe

Then Boot off of the CD.

Then Follow the guides from previous posts.

gparted is a linux tool, and it would seem that it can be used for Vista (not sure about XP) by booting from a CD rom.

I have downloaded some set up files but they won't open, and I doubt they are the right ones anyway.

I have read a number of sites on this, (from all your links), but I'm afraid I get lost.

It is far too complicated for me. :o