Apple Tree In Thailand

My wife and I have a house with garden in Phuket. We would both like an apple tree in it. I am not sure if it will go well in Thailand climate, my wife says it won't.

So, can you grow an apple tree in Thailand and get some apples off it to eat?

If not, any other suggestions for a fruit tree in the garden which works well. I would like Banana but my wife says that they are difficult as the spread around and get out of control. Is Pineapple easy I wonder??

My wife and I have a house with garden in Phuket. We would both like an apple tree in it. I am not sure if it will go well in Thailand climate, my wife says it won't.

If not, any other suggestions for a fruit tree in the garden which works well. I would like Banana but my wife says that they are difficult as the spread around and get out of control. Is Pineapple easy I wonder??

Bananas are not a big deal (I kept 2 of them ... potted in LARGE pots in Kamala) If the ground surrounding them is hard they don't tend to spread and they are easy to pull out of the ground.

Papaya and Mango are always decent options.

Pineapple grow in a low plant that looks a bit like a cactus

Thai Basil is an option as well (and useful)

If you do not mind a slow growing fruit tree/shrub you could try avocados.

Bananas are not a big deal (I kept 2 of them ... potted in LARGE pots in Kamala) If the ground surrounding them is hard they don't tend to spread and they are easy to pull out of the ground.

If we put an apple tree in a large pot, would it grow and fruit?

If we put an apple tree in a large pot, would it grow and fruit?

It would depend on the type of root system ... I was under the impression that most apple trees had tap-roots and if that is the case .. no, they would just die

apples need cold weather to go dormant for a certain period of time to flower and fruit... they can be grafted on roots of similar trees , most apples are grafted trees, on several types of root systems -- we grow apples here in jerusalem as a crop... so i can check for u. BUT most varieties need the cold. here we've had less cold winters (global warming) so crops have been bad. we even use some kind of spray to prevent early flowering so as not to loose fruit flowers.

all varieties here are grafted on several hardy root stocks. we also did peaches nectarines and pears and plums and cherries. we are now taking all of them out. weather not cooperating, and also, all these trees are water hungry and we are facing severe water cutbacks. grapes olives and almonds are replacing them.

to tell the truth, in the areas here that are similar to humid hot thailand type climates, i've yet to see any of these types. only the mango/banana et al ...

anon and i are on our third year of trying to grow a papaya; almost succeeded and then it hailed the other day. anon refuses to beleive that our elevation and climate have any bearing on tropical plants.

the other thing about apples is the type of soil they prefer. potted trees dont always do well unless they are dwarf or ornamental types.