The Expat Way Of Life

igotworms

The grass is not always greener, that certainly depends on location and one's perspective of what they have in life.

The expat lifestyles philosophised on this forum are generally of the formula:

'LOS' vs 'your cold/expensive/other country of origin'

You guys should really try living in Myanmar some time. Shares a common border with Thailand, but that's about it. Nothing modern or comfortable about the place (generally referring to Yangon), no ATM's, you cant use credit cards, shopping and the availability of many goods is restricted, no movies, no (not much) internet.

For the first 6 years here, I would not harbour any complaints. My job is interesting and demanding, and I learned to put up with the personal isolation I suffer from (I am stuck on an island, and there's absolutely <deleted> all here).

For me, the rewards while at work is that I am doing something nobody else can do, and the rewards outside of work were...

...go straight to Thailand!

but now after 6 years I'm going completely out of my f**ing mind on the same f**ing island with no f**ing bar, no shops, no life.

and that's why I find solace in this forum reading all of everybody else's complaints because it makes me feel like I win in having the worst situation

I love you guys :o

SeavisionBurma, it sounds like you must be on your island for a very good reason.

A good friend of mine visits Burma twice per year to teach plastic mold making to Buddhist monks, teach English, dig wells and build a school. He is doing it because he loves the people and the country. He said the political situation is not ideal of course, but the people cope with it the best they can. Someday I will have to take a trip.

I currently live in Santa Barbara, California. I'm 56 and plan to retire partially toward the end of the decade in the Issan, in my wife's village where we have some rice land and one full house and one shell. Full retirement is planned for sometime around 2014... Anyway, more and more of my thoughts are now going to imagining what it is going to be like living in the Issan, speaking very little Thai at first and kind of expecting to be expected to look after everyone financially (which we already do, to a good degree, but whenever my wife is back home, she always says it is worse. I always thought it would be cheaper for her to vacation with her parents and family, but it's always more expensive -- not even counting the flight)... Any tips or observations from any of you would be appreciated... m :o

That's a good point. Living in Thailand has certainly given me an excellent reason why I can't make that 40th wedding anniversary this, or indeed any coming saturday.  :D

I found it was the first few months that were the hardest to bear, living in Thai but dreaming in English, when you're dreams are Thai based then you're doing ok.

:o there are two symptoms to tell you that you really speak a foreign language

first: you count and calculate in that language and

last: you dream in that language, then you really master it!

But that has nothing to do with missing your original home.

Some people can relocate easy, (nice girls, nice weather, cheap food.....) some cannot or will always miss something.

It depends, what you want : one way is to make a simple list :

on the left, what is good, on the right, what is bad in your new home:

if the good things prevail, why not stay here, unless there is one bad point you cannot cope with! then just go home!

That's a good point. Living in Thailand has certainly given me an excellent reason why I can't make that 40th wedding anniversary this, or indeed any coming saturday.  :D

I found it was the first few months that were the hardest to bear, living in Thai but dreaming in English, when you're dreams are Thai based then you're doing ok.

:o there are two symptoms to tell you that you really speak a foreign language

first: you count and calculate in that language and

last: you dream in that language, then you really master it!

But that has nothing to do with missing your original home.

Some people can relocate easy, (nice girls, nice weather, cheap food.....) some cannot or will always miss something.

It depends, what you want : one way is to make a simple list :

on the left, what is good, on the right, what is bad in your new home:

if the good things prevail, why not stay here, unless there is one bad point you cannot cope with! then just go home!

Hmm!!! list after three years here. well the left side is very heavy, just can't find anything for the right side, but I'll work on it.

I have no regrets whatsoever. I have a wonderful life here now.

The one thing that comes to mind every day is thinking of my father who's getting older with a newly discovered heart condition which prevents him from traveling for now. I was told he's afraid of dying without seeing me again, I must admit that I've thought about that as well. We had drifted apart for a long time and had reunited about a year ago. He's a great man for whom I've always had respect even though he left when I was 12. We do communicate a bit since he s slowly learning how to use a pc and email.

Mom visited 2 months ago for 3 weeks. She s been using a pc for years so we communicate on a regular basis.

If I could afford it I would visit them often but I guess it'll have to be a yearly thing.

This may sound crazy but sometimes before going to sleep I close my eyes and take a walk somewhere in my home town, I even once remembered a street light that flickered on the way between home and work. Most of my dreams happen there still, strange.

If I could afford it I would visit them often but I guess it'll have to be a yearly thing.

This may sound crazy but sometimes before going to sleep I close my eyes and take a walk somewhere in my home town, I even once remembered a street light that flickered on the way between home and work. Most of my dreams happen there still, strange.

Which brings to mind another question: How often do you guys who are already living in Thailand get to go back to your previous country?

On another note, I roam the streets and woods of my boyhood town all the time... :o

I have been here 3 years now. I took early retirement,sold my property in the UK,

and settled in Los. I haven't been back for even a visit yet. Oddly enough, I have no desire to go. I will have to sometime, to sort out my OAP, which have paid for all my working life. Another thing that puts me off, are the things people who have gone home for a holiday, have told me. They go home for a month, and after two weeks, they cannot wait to get back, complaining of the cold, prices and cost of getting around.

I left all my warm clothes at my sisters. I have put on a lot of weight since I came, so it wont fit. The cost of buying a whole new wardrobe, for a few weeks visit, puts me off too.

Life here is good, and one can live on a small pension comfortably, whereas I would be on a tight budget in the UK. The only thing that puts a blight on things, is what if ill health kicks in. These insurance companies have clauses for age related illnesses, and the older one gets, the dearer it becomes. Over sixty in the UK, I would get free prescriptions. I take hypertention pills everyday. The cheapest I can get here is !,350b per month. Still, it's swings a roundabouts. :o

I have been here 3 years now. I took early retirement,sold my property in the UK,

and settled in Los. I haven't been back for even a visit yet. Oddly enough, I have no desire to go. I will have to sometime, to sort out my OAP, which have paid for all my working life.  Another thing that puts me off, are the things people who have gone home for a holiday, have told me. They go home for a month, and after two weeks, they cannot wait to get back, complaining of the cold, prices and cost of getting around.

I left all my warm clothes at my sisters. I have put on a lot of weight since I came, so it wont fit. The cost of buying a whole new wardrobe, for a few weeks visit, puts me off too.

Life here is good, and one can live on a small pension comfortably, whereas I would be on a tight budget in the UK. The only thing that puts a blight on things, is what if ill health kicks in. These insurance companies have clauses for age related illnesses, and the older one gets, the dearer it becomes. Over sixty in the UK, I would get free prescriptions. I take hypertention pills everyday. The cheapest I can get here is !,350b per month. Still, it's swings a roundabouts. :o

Have not had a desire to go back and no plans to do so, those decisions were made before I settled here. I don't dream in Thia, but my dreams are centered in Thailand unless of course if I have a nightmare. This is home, my friends and children are welcome to visit anytime, but there is absolutely nothing for me in the states anymore. I do have fond memories of my time thee, but they are not the ones that surface when I think of it.

Edited by ray23

I've been 'here' for about 3 years now. I was posted here for work, rather than electing to come and sort out work afterward. Took me about a nanosecond to decide to accept mind :D Before that I was working elsewhere in Asia, not in the UK, so it seemed a natural progression.

No regrets. Have a great job - best one I've ever had and I'm lucky enough to admit that I actually enjoy it :D Pays well to compensate for the hard work so I have a nice apartment, good standard of living etc etc

Go back to the UK quite often for business purposes, usually 2 or 3 times a year. Used to tack on a weekend's leave to catch up with friends & family. It was OK but nothing special. This year I went back for a 'proper' holiday over Xmas, taking my GF with me, and guess what? We both really enjoyed it ... even if she is now convinced that Blighty is full of sheep & pubs :o

It's great to be here, but it's also good to never forget where you came from (imho) :D

Well, I like the thought of a fallback plan (keep the condo in Santa Barbara while living in the Issan), but that will be difficult to do, even if I can pull it off. Also, as others have mentioned, I like the thought of going back in order to keep strong ties with my sons... How many of you guys just cut the cord vs. how many still have property back in your original countries? :o