Confused... 2nd Non-b Visa Run And Want A One-year Visa - But No Work Permit Yet

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about how to proceed and, unfortunately, don't trust my accountant enough to leave it all in her hands without asking for help from y'all...

Late last year I created my own consulting company - in December I went to Singapore on business and got my first Non-B visa. The visa will expire on 11 March 09 and therefore I need to do a visa run, however I don't have my Work Permit to take with me yet! My accountant "pre-applied" for my Work Permit before I left on that visa run in December but I still haven't received it yet - she assures me that I'll have it before I have to go but...

Question 1: Is it a problem if I don't have it? I assume that a receipt showing that the Work Permit is in process is positive?

Question 2: Do I need to take another letter requesting a Non-B Visa with me?

Question 3: What about all the other company paperwork that I had to take the first time, do I need to take that again or simply use the the standard visa application form only?

I really want/need to get a One-Year Multi-Entry visa as I will have to travel back and forth to Singapore every four/five months or so. I read the following on another site and just wonder if I'm understanding correctly, cuz it seems to be too good to be true:

For a non-immigrant visa, if you start with a single entry visa you start with a 90 day non-immigrant visa and can extend to a year by submitting an application to the Immigration Department near the time your visa will expire, if you qualify. You will normally get a 30 day extension while the application is being considered and processed (assuming it is complete and you meet the requirements), and it may require multiple trips to the immigration department for additional 30 day extensions -- if the one year application has not been approved before your visa expires, then you must make sure to go back and ask the clerk to stamp your passport with another visa extension before your visa expires, which is extended one month at a time so may require more trips. This situation has improved over time so that most people don't need additional 30 day stamps. In fact, many retirement visas have been processed on the same day. ~thailandguru

Question 4: Does this mean that if I go to Immigration BEFORE my Non-B Visa expires that I can ask for a 30-day extension, and do so indefinitely?! (doubt it otherwise everyone would!)

Question 5: What are the "requirement/qualifications" mentioned?

Question 6: The last sentence, referring to retirement visas, makes me question whether this whole paragraph applies to retirement visas only, but I don't think so...?

Question 7: Any tips that will help my chances of getting a one-year multi-entry non-b visa without already having a few 90-day ones under my belt? I've heard that the more capital you have registered the better, as well as the longer you have been working (ie have had to prove that you are actually working because you've done visa runs)

Lastly, anyone know where to find deals on airfare from HKT or BKK to one of the regional embassy cities? I really *really* don't want to do the van thing to Penang (and actually have heard that they aren't issuing one-year multis right now to many people) but also don't want to be paying an arm, a leg and a breast to get to another one. hmph

Thanks, as always, for your advice.

You can get another single entry B visa with a WP3 showing you have applied for a work permit. You will need the same paper work.

Has your accountant explained why it is taking so long to get your work permit. Do have 4 thai employees working for you and all the other requirements.

Just ignoe all that about 30 day stamps and etc. There is no 30 day extension.

Once you have a work permit and it is valid for 1 year you can get a multiple entry from KL.

When an application is made for an extension they may not approve it that day and give you a stamp that tells you to come back in 30 days to get your extension stamped in your passport. It is not an extension becaue your permit to stay is not extended.

KL is the only place nearby to go unless you have the 8 million baht registered capital that Penang requires.

I hear KL is no longer issuing one year non-B visas anymore? I have two work buddies here in Phuket who have just been to get their new visas, they go there every year usually with no problems. This time they said "Sorry, only single entry now issued here" and yes, they had all the correct paperwork and work permits.

It sucks as i have to go somewhere in September for a new one. The only place i know where one-year visas are issued seemingly with no hassles at all is the Thai consulate in Hull, UK. Luckily i was home last year for a week and sorted mine out then. The one before that i got in Manila, although the clerk working their was a rude arrogant prick who basically told me they wouldn't issue one-year visas and basically told me to get a flight to England and not come back to the Philippines as he was too lazy to process my application . Funnily enough when i went to collect my passport there was a one year multi non imm b. By the way, went to the Philippines with Cebu Pacific Air, wait for their special offers and you get some good deals. I just booked in Dec a trip BKK - MANILA - BKK for B740 ALL IN!!!

Also, I heard that Vientienne is now a good place to go for a multi non b? Anyone know more about this?

:o

Will I even be able to apply for a one-year? For some reason I think (probably way back in my memory from all the research and reading i've done. ugh) that you need to have been working for at least a year before they'll consider you for a one-year visa.

Is a one-year visa always multi-entry? Or is that a sub-category of a one-year.

Gawd. So confusing and so many questions... really wish I could trust my accountant implicitly. Will switch once I have the WP and Visa all in hand - for now I don't want to risk changing over...

Will I even be able to apply for a one-year? For some reason I think (probably way back in my memory from all the research and reading i've done. ugh) that you need to have been working for at least a year before they'll consider you for a one-year visa.

Is a one-year visa always multi-entry? Or is that a sub-category of a one-year.

Gawd. So confusing and so many questions... really wish I could trust my accountant implicitly. Will switch once I have the WP and Visa all in hand - for now I don't want to risk changing over...

Under the new rules you probably are not going to get an extension until your company has been in business for 2 years.

You can still get a multiple entry in KL with a work permit that has a stamp that it is valid for one year awaiting a visa. Suggest you check the topic called latest report of getting visas in the region at the top of page one of this forum. The KL topics discuss this special stamp in your work permit.

Vientiane does not give multiple entry visas.

Thanks for that Ubonjoe... I have checked the Non-B section of the update page on KL but the latest is early January for KL. ugh

Anyone been there (or elsewhere) more recently?

The easiest way to find out would be to give the Thai Embassy in KL a ring. I called them a couple of years ago about something and they were very helpful. Like Ubonjoe says though, you must have a "One Year" work period in your work permit, not six months like some have if you want a multi non b. If you have only six months you'll def only get a single entry. Your laywer / acc can get the work period in your WP changed if need be.

Phone numbers for Thai Embassy in KL

+60-3 2148-8222

+60-3 2148-8350

+60-3 2148-8420

+60-3 2145-8004

GL