Oman Air 26 Hour Delay

tj916

Hi all

Last month I had the misfortune to suffer a 26 hour delay with Oman air on the bangkok to Muscat route due to a technical problem with the ongoing plane from Muscat to Gatwick.

Despite numerous Emails to their offices in Muscat and the UK, I have still not received a reply.

Would any of you seasoned travellers know if I am entitled to any compensation and/or any decent web sites on this subject, as the only ones I can find seem to be on EU regulations. (Which say I would be entitled to 600 euro KERCHING!! :D )

Although Oman put me up in the very nice Novotel at Swampy and paid for meals (no beer though :o ) I lost out on a days pay.

If you wish to fly with the most surly,ignorant and unhelpful air crew on the planet,on an old airbus which still has ashtrays in the seats I would recommend Oman Air!!

Thanks in advance

Hi all

Last month I had the misfortune to suffer a 26 hour delay with Oman air on the bangkok to Muscat route due to a technical problem with the ongoing plane from Muscat to Gatwick.

Despite numerous Emails to their offices in Muscat and the UK, I have still not received a reply.

Would any of you seasoned travellers know if I am entitled to any compensation and/or any decent web sites on this subject, as the only ones I can find seem to be on EU regulations. (Which say I would be entitled to 600 euro KERCHING!! :D )

Although Oman put me up in the very nice Novotel at Swampy and paid for meals (no beer though :o ) I lost out on a days pay.

If you wish to fly with the most surly,ignorant and unhelpful air crew on the planet,on an old airbus which still has ashtrays in the seats I would recommend Oman Air!!

Thanks in advance

Your particular circumstances are covered by the Montreal Convention; ' an airline is liable for "damage occasioned by delay" (Articles 19 and 22.1), up to a limit of 4,150 Special Drawing Rights (SDRs). (On 15 November 2007, this was equivalent to £3,205). However, an airline may not be liable if "it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures" (Article 19). In practice, any payment that an airline is prepared to make for a delay will at best be reimbursement of expenses that it accepts were directly and necessarily incurred as a result of the delay (such as meals or overnight hotel accommodation). Airlines generally do not accept any liability for inconvenience, stress or any consequential losses arising from the delay, unless they are required to do so as a result of court action.'

More here at the Air Transport Users Council (UK Consumer Watchdog for the Aviation Industry) : http://www.auc.org.uk/default.aspx?catid=3...amp;pageid=3312

If you visit their home page, you'll see their contact details for advice & help with complaints against airlines & airports.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Hi all

No game only had medical.

In practice, any payment that an airline is prepared to make for a delay will at best be reimbursement of expenses that it accepts were directly and necessarily incurred as a result of the delay (such as meals or overnight hotel accommodation). Airlines generally do not accept any liability for inconvenience, stress or any consequential losses arising from the delay, unless they are required to do so as a result of court action.'

So basicly it looks like Im screwed.

Thanks for your help Guys.

I flew that route last year and was not impressed. Really old planes and crumbling chairs. Moreover the Oman flight staff, didnt look and service that much differently than some domestic US carrier. Forget Oman Air to London, thee stop-off in Muscat is a long-one too.

Their new planes have not yet arrived, meanwhile they've leased some older ones, may be worth trying in another year or two, when Qatar & Etihad are no-longer quite so keen to offer discounts ? :D

At least they didn't try to still operate the service, despite the aircraft being faulty, a point in their favour IMHO ! :o