Disappointed With True

PvtDick

We have a 256K True ADSL line at the office, which even though shared by half a dozen people is great. I listen to internet radio all day long, and it doesn't drop out once.

So, I installed a True ADSL line at home, too. But I splurged and got a 2M line, thinking it would be even better. In actuality, though, it is not much better than my previous dial-up connection. I can't get a steady stream at all: internet radio skips and drops all over the place.

My office is in Silom and my home in Sukhumvit. Is there a reason why the quality of the lines should be so different? Would any of the alternative companies likely give me a better connection? All I want to do is be able to listen to my radio stations without them dropping out all the time.

The SME package offered to companies at a slightly higher price than the home package supposedly has a much lower share (contention) ratio. I've seen many places using the home package and all get the same lousy effective speeds, no matter what speed you signed up for. However, I have a friend who signed up for the SME package, and he's getting very good effective speeds. If you want speed, you can try to apply for the SME package.

As for splitter and phone interference, usually there is no problem. If there is a problem, the symptoms will be seen only when the phone is being used. If you want to know whether your line is the problem, login to the True 2mb account (the special increased speed account) and test again. If that works well, then it just means that you're getting the typical lousy True speed.

We have a 256K True ADSL line at the office, which even though shared by half a dozen people is great.  I listen to internet radio all day long, and it doesn't drop out once.

So, I installed a True ADSL line at home, too.  But I splurged and got a 2M line, thinking it would be even better.  In actuality, though, it is not much better than my previous dial-up connection.  I can't get a steady stream at all:  internet radio skips and drops all over the place.

My office is in Silom and my home in Sukhumvit.  Is there a reason why the quality of the lines should be so different?  Would any of the alternative companies likely give me a better connection?  All I want to do is be able to listen to my radio stations without them dropping out all the time.

i have the same problem as you...in fact as i write this i am using an dail-up.

also i am paying for 512K, but only get 256k connection.

its really bad in the evenings and weekends.

everybody else has simula problems?

all treu keeps telling me that their systems are working fine!

To check whether you're getting the line speed you signed up for, go here:

http://www.hispeedworld.com/main/speedtest.html

If you asked for 2M and get around 1.5-2M in this speed test, then your line is working properly. If your line is working properly, then the bad international speeds are caused by a high share ratio. I say again: This is common.

It's the main reason why I still stick to my non-home package, even though I'm use it at home, and I get "only" 512k while I pay *more* than a home user would play for a 4Mbit line. For this price, I get very constant and good international speeds.

Some people get lucky and get very good international speeds with the home package. From what I've seen, it's not the norm, and usually happens only when you're in a sparsely populated area.

If you want to test your international speed (fairly accurate), go here:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp

For most users of the home package, the tested international speed will be VERY slow. Switch to the "turbo on demand" login, and it will be much faster, but you pay by the hour.

FYI, to use "turbo on demand", change your login from username@truehisp to username@true2m and use your old password. The price is an additional 25baht/hour.

Edited by Firefoxx

The speed check for your connection to TRUE is http://wow.trueinternet.co.th/speedtest.php

My sign up speed is 512 and test is almost always between 502-510.

For international circuits my check using us.mcafee.com normally range between 150-350.

In all cases it is always far better than a dial up although a few months ago there were times when it was not much better.

These tests have very little value and a lot of True subscribers are unsatisfied if they see the results.

The Internet is a global network, basically a vast grouping of computers transferring data to one another. Connection speeds will vary depending on many conditions such as the time of day and the amount of congestion on the Internet in general. When you request a Web page from a server on the Internet, both the request and the resulting page travel over a series of links that help comprise the Internet. Points between links are often referred to as "hops." So depending on the number of people connecting to test servers, the number of "hops" taken to get to the test site, the quality of the connections between each hop to the site and various other factors, your Internet connection speed will always vary.

Tested today McAfee (2 minutes interval) 367, 319, 624, 133 kbs.

On True website I get around 2100-2200 kbs local (for 2.5 mbs) package. Downloads of movies often hit 100-200kbytes ......

I am 15 hours or more on the Web everyday. Previously costed:

ClickTA 2 packages x THB 160 = THB 320

Telephone 5 x 3 baht x 30 = THB 450

Total THB 770

Now I pay THB 1150 for a 24 hour connection with speeds far superior than dial up.

Does it really matter if international speeds are much lower than the 2.5mbs?

No. Not really.

Edited by sniffdog

These tests have very little value and a lot of True subscribers are unsatisfied if they see the results.

Now I pay THB 1150 for a 24 hour connection with speeds far superior than dial up.

Does it really matter if international speeds are much lower than the 2.5mbs?

No. Not really.

I beg to differ.

The local test is a good indication of whether your ADSL line (and True's network itself) is working properly, and that you're getting the speed you paid for. Why? Because True has in the past made MANY mistakes in the account profile (which determines your actual speed). I can say this because I've experienced it firsthand. Twice. I ordered a 1Mbit line. My modem stats displayed a 1Mbit line. But my effective speed was 128k, tested at True. There is a discrepancy because the modem's displayed speed is only the speed between you and the CO. The account profile (for your login) determines what speed you actually get. Usually, both are one and the same, but I can tell you that True has screwed up many times on one or the other. I found out (with this useless test) I was getting the wrong speed after 4 months of use, and I had to call them to get it fixed.

As for the international test, the Mcafee test site has plenty of bandwidth and is therefore (usually) not susceptible to congestion. I've found that the speed reported from this site and from my actual downloads are roughly the same. It is a very good indication of whether True's international network is working properly (for me, with my more expensive package). Just last week I used it after I noticed that my downloads were suspiciously slow. It confirmed my hunch, and I called True, and after a bit of waiting, they confirmed that there indeed was a problem with the international link.

Now, for all the "home" users out there who get slow speeds from the test, I think they're entitled to see that they are not imagining things. And for some, the international speeds are actually WORSE than dialup, or only slightly better. In other words, about 20-100k from 2.5Mb that you paid for. The prices aren't all that great considering what you get, compared to other countries. They're comparable to what you can get from other Thai ISPs. I'd say this wouldn't be an issue if the speeds that you get can vary around 60-90% of the full bandwidth, which is the case around the world. The issue here is that much of the time it hovers around 10-20%, with occasional spikes of 30-50%. The idea marketed here is "fast internet", not full-time 56k. Yes, you get full *local* speeds, whoop dee doo. You can play local online games at full speed, something which you could do with a 56k modem. You can surf local sites really fast, with all the dazzling local content. Yeah, money well spent.

Note: The speeds mentioned above are from actual places I've visited that have installed True ADSL. If you're one of the lucky ones who gets well above that, then good for you. But from what I've seen, you're in the minority.

Unfortunately most True customers have no idea that they're being screwed. Some people in my office subscribed for 2MB so they could get the 'free' modem. They'd have been better off subscribing to the 512Kb and buying it themselves. The name 'Hi-speed Internet' is pretty misleading. 'Second-rate internet' would be more accurate, because its actually their slower package.

Anyway, going back to the original post, I can listen to streaming radio on GPRS most of the time, which is less than 40Kb. I've had a lot of problems with True but I've never seen it that bad. How big is the stream you are trying to listen to ?

The speed check for your connection to TRUE is http://wow.trueinternet.co.th/speedtest.php

My sign up speed is 512 and test is almost always between 502-510.

For international circuits my check using us.mcafee.com normally range between 150-350.

In all cases it is always far better than a dial up although a few months ago there were times when it was not much better.

Recently I've been getting this result:

speed22rr.jpg

Is it something - an Internet setting maybe - that I can change to get it to work? I know others have also posted elsewhere that this is what they get too. :o

Thanks for all the responses.

When I use those speed tests, both McAfee's and True's, I am actually getting over 3Mbps.

But still, I'm getting a lousy stream on every internet radio station I'm trying, and these are only 56K streams. I suppose it must be congestion, but as I say it is great from my office and terrible from home. Perhaps the difference between the home and business accounts.

thanks for your guys help, called true this morning and now i am back on line again with +/- 500 kbps speed, modum at 2.5Mbps.

they were still at loss though why i get drop-outs about 5-9pm and on weekends, and was going to get back to me on that?

i am tempted though to swith over to the sme package.

RDN: I think the McAfee speed test has browser icompatibility problems. I get that in Firefox, but it works for me in IE.

Correct. I can not get it working with Firefox anymore although did on old computer after installing a plug-in. Believe I have the same downloads on this computer but not working (although main Java program has changed so perhaps that is the problem). Anyone have McAfee working on Firefox want to post name of plug in that gets it running?

I find there is a huge difference with True between off-hours and prime time. This morning at around 9:30 a.m., I was clocking at 3Mbps. Tonight, at 10:00 p.m., I'm getting 100Kbps. Must be more home users out there surfing in the evenings. I should probably switch to an SME package I guess, if I want high speed at night.

I find there is a huge difference with True between off-hours and prime time.  This morning at around 9:30 a.m., I was clocking at 3Mbps.  Tonight, at 10:00 p.m., I'm getting 100Kbps.  Must be more home users out there surfing in the evenings.  I should probably switch to an SME package I guess, if I want high speed at night.

PD: I have a home True account at 512K, and found that I was consistently getting less than True stated performance. :D

Calling True was an interesting experience :o and after lots a Q's and "we will send a engineer to you..." Convincing them that this would not be necessary as it too is what I do... I found that they reset my account and now I get greater than charged rates often > 1Mb :D

What I have been using is this site Line Speed Meter to test and track the history of my link.. So on some days True service just sucks... but now generally it is good.... Just have to wisper in their ear :D

------------------

I beg to differ.

------------------

I was referring to the international tests, not the local one at True. Speed at the local test is always constant around 2.2 mbs ...

But if you really trust these tests ... please explain why I get very different results with 2 minute intervals.

It really depends on the test server, congestion international and locally etc.

Also if streaming does not work correctly with rebuffering, it doesn't mean that True is at fault.

For those willing to switch to sme .. you might search for threads about SME on this site and/or adslthailand.com.

Some people over there believe that the Home package delivers faster speeds than the SME package ...

I trust McAfee's test because, like I stated before, it's results have always been consistant with my actual download speeds. Yes, there have been times that I've gotten very different results like you. At those times, if I looked at my computer's bandwidth graphs (to McAfee or any other international site, with any protocol) I would see spiking, getting speeds between 10% and 40%, a phoenomenon I've seen at sites that have the home package. Again, McAfee was pretty accurate, and True was indeed having problems. Currently I test between 450 and 500k, consistantly, at all times (peak or non peak).

The tests do depend on local and international congestion, but McAfee has so much bandwidth that international congestion is not an issue. It's down to local congestion, and for most home users that part comes from the high contention ratio at True.

I have said before that you may get lucky and get very good speeds with the home package, just as you may get lucky and get the wrong speed or profile assigned to you (lots of reports of users getting 8mbits instead of 512k). However, from my experienece I think that this is not the norm, and that you would have better luck with the SME package.

I've tried Skype at a home package site, and it had a hard time even connecting to the other party (in the US). This was only a few weeks ago.

please explain why I get very different results with 2 minute intervals.

I get very different results with 20 second intervals, true seems to fluctuate wildly.

I usually use the CNET bandwidth meter, and the results are pretty much the same as the McAffee test. I think both are reasonably accurate.

Anyone have McAfee working on Firefox want to post name of plug in that gets it running?

Yes, for the manual download and installation of the latest Java software, go here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/manual_download.jsp

I have McAfee Internet Connection Speedometer working with Firefox 1.0, but I typically get extraordinarily faster results than with IE, so I stick with IE for the test. And, to get a truer test I change the 150 to 600 in the address bar:

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/test_0600.asp

I'm on the SME package, but my speed results are consistenly a lot lower with the Line Speed Meter. Will someone else give it a try to confirm if this is just a fluke?

Here's what I just got at McAfee using IE:

speed_112x23.gif2.055 Mbps (263.04 KBps)

Edited by melus

So different results on different test servers.

So different results on different browsers.

So different result as True fluctuates.

So can anybody explain the use of these tests?

Yes, different results on McAfee servers and on True's servers. It's because of a different local/internet bandwidth policy. Test on different local servers (or different interenational servers) and you get similar results, unless the server's saturated (which is why I recommend McAfee).

Yes, different results on different browsers. Firefox browser doesn't work at all, unless you have installed java, and even then there is a compatibility issue. Otherwise, you get the same results.

Yes, different results as True fluctuates. That's a reason why we test.

The "use" or "purpose" of these tests is to tell us how much bandwidth we actually (effectively) have at any given time. True's test for local bandwidth, Mcafee's test for international. Both are fairly accurate. Why would we want to know? In order to see whether we're being screwed in the bandwidth department. In order to see whether the effective bandwidth is sufficient for whatever we need it to do. In order to see whether there is a network problem or not. In order to see at what times there is bandwidth saturation. In order to do a correlation between transfer rates and bandwidth graphs. In order to check bandwidth stability. Etc. Etc.

If you see a hammer and can't figure out what it's good for, it doesn't mean that other people can't.

Edited by Firefoxx

Can one upgrade to an SME package from a home package?  Anyone done this, have any idea how long it takes?

Yes, I upgraded my home package to an SME package. It only took a couple of hours once I had all the paperwork in hand, but I went in person and demanded they activate it the same day (I had become pretty pissed off with their misleading advertising).

There is a form you need to fill out to change packages, and of course they'll want a copy of the ID of the person who owns the telephone line.

And, just a piece of advice before deciding to upgrade your True package. Get them to verbally guarantee the speed you can expect to get. If they say no less than 60%, you can hold them to it if your speeds fall well below that.