Ssr Warm Up Ride To Kanchanaburi And Sangkhla Buri This Weekend, February 28th-march 1st

BigBikeBKK

Do you want to stay in Kanchanaburi or Sangkhla Buri or someplace else?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All!

Trent, Peter and I are going to blast to Kanchanaburi and Sangkhla Buri this weekend as a warm up to next weeks SSR Epic Ride. Grant may join us as well.

Who else wants to come along? Travelmate? AnthonyR1? IThailian? C'mon guys- it's gonna be FUN and you all work too dam_n much!

We've not finalized any details yet, but hope to get that figured out later today. Tentative route (Peter says he knows a better way out of town, so this will probably be revised):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...amp;t=h&z=9

Hope you can join us,

Happy Trails!

Tony

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May i suggest we meet at Tesco Lotus car park at 7am to bear morning traffic. From Tesco we head straight down the road and it runs into Rama 3 which will then take us over the BKK bridge and onto Petkasem...

Tesco Lotus carpark has 2 service stations next door for those who forgot refuel and it also has clean 95 benzine fuel amongst others.

May i suggest we meet at Tesco Lotus car park at 7am to bear morning traffic. From Tesco we head straight down the road and it runs into Rama 3 which will then take us over the BKK bridge and onto Petkasem...

Tesco Lotus carpark has 2 service stations next door for those who forgot refuel and it also has clean 95 benzine fuel amongst others.

SWEET!

So- can we all agree on 0700 DEPARTURE from Tesco Lotus Rama 3?

Easy to find, but in case anyone is not familiar with the area here's a good map:

http://www.mapguidethailand.com/home/map?l...us%20Rama%20III

TescoRama3.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Unfair as I will be doing shitload of frequent flyer miles then, but fair enough I understand new bike and all. Have some beers for me and a great time, I'll think of you when I get hammered on the flights...

Please take a LOAD of pics as we need it for SS thingy.

Cheers Bard

Unfair as I will be doing shitload of frequent flyer miles then, but fair enough I understand new bike and all. Have some beers for me and a great time, I'll think of you when I get hammered on the flights...

Please take a LOAD of pics as we need it for SS thingy.

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard!

Sorry you'll miss the warm up, but no worries- you'll be along for the MAIN EVENT next week and that's what really counts!

Hey all- if we're going to stay in in the sleepy border town of Sangklaburi I hear this is THE place: http://www.samprasob.com/en/index.php

I'm thinking we should probably reserve some rooms sooner than later as I think it might fill up on weekends.

There's another group of big bikes also going this weekend, led by Gerrit, aka GizmoBKK and it might be cool if our two groups could maybe merge or at least hook up for a ride together.

Whaddya say Peter and Trent? Does staying in Sangklaburi work for you or you need more "action", in which case we should stay in Kanchanaburi. :o

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thats a great route, but do you know that quite a bit of it is on fairly rough dirt tracks?

Hi madjbs,

Are you referring to the loop off the 323 to Mae Kra Bung on Route 3183 from the Resevoir back to the Highway 323? I thought I read a report on GTRiders that said the road was paved and in passable condition... Not a high speed road by any means, but sounds like fun all the same. Of course if it really is dirt we'll skip it and just stick to the 323 which is a beautifully maintained road.

Large parts of that loop are definitely dirt. I haven't been on the road up the side of the lake, so that might be paved. The section from leaving the lake to about 20 mins from the 323 is all dirt though. It would be passable on a bike for sure, but parts of it are quite rutted and potholed. I was there doing some caving just a couple of weeks ago :o

Large parts of that loop are definitely dirt. I haven't been on the road up the side of the lake, so that might be paved. The section from leaving the lake to about 20 mins from the 323 is all dirt though. It would be passable on a bike for sure, but parts of it are quite rutted and potholed. I was there doing some caving just a couple of weeks ago :D

Thank you for letting us know madjbs! Think we'll probably give that road a miss then. I'm sure Trenty doesn't want to get his shiny new FZ6 dirty just yet :o

Happy Trails!

Tony

Is the plan to overnight in Kanchanaburi? Otherwise, evening activity may be limited to swatting mosquitoes.

LOL- Well, Jim, I understand that Sangklaburi is a quiet little town, but I also hear the resort I linked to above is quite nice, as long as they have a good supply of beer I see no reason we can't liven things up. Of course, if you're lookin' for Karaoke Bars and female companionship, then Kanchanaburi would be the place to stay. I'm fine either way- party at a resort or party in town- whatever you guys want to do- it's ALL GOOD! :o

This is directly from the resort website...

Estimated time from Bangkok to Sangklaburi is 5 hours. We recommend skilled drivers as the road is tortuous and steep; especially from Taungpaapoom heading to Sangklaburi requires highly cautious driving.
:o:D :D

There is no mention of karaoke or beer or girls. Man, you guys are HARDCORE. :D

Well, that's two votes for ACTION and none for Bush :D:D:o

Kanchanaburi it is!

Tons of places to stay.

Here's one that I'd like to try: http://www.jollyfrog.net/

Outstanding food and right on the river. They have a wide mix of rooms-

You can choose from:

Single Room with Fan and Shared Bathroom - 70 baht

Double Room with Fan and Shared Bathroom - 150 baht

Double Room with Fan and Bathroom - 200 baht

Double Room with Air Con and Bathroom - 290 baht

Family Room with 4 beds - 400 baht

I've stayed at the Bluestar Guesthouse which was pretty cool- http://www.bluestar-guesthouse.com/

Anyway- tons of options- we can book ahead or just find something when we roll into town.

Can't wait!

Happy Trails,

Tony

It looks like I can make this one, work commitments have stopped me from joining the last few but this one looks good.

Kanchaburi looks like a good choice for the evening but the choice of meetup is difficult for me because I don't know that area of town and searching for it at 7am could slow the group down. If you could let me know the route you'll be leaving Bangkok then I can meet you on the way out. Are you gonna be leaving Bangkok via Sathon/Rama 4? I'll be leaving from the Ladprao/Ramkhamhaeng area. Anyone passing that way?

Hola!

Been thinking about doing the big SSR trip ever sens I was out on a date at Tawan Deang and happened to meet Trent.

Might be worth telling how I meet him.. I saw a fairly intoxicated farang running around in front of the stage and thought for myself what a hack is that for tourist <deleted>??

A minute later he comes and sits down at the table next to me and I realizes that I recognize this guy. Hmmm, who is he? Ahhhaa , that is the dude I just seen on Thaivisa with a big grin on his face surrounded by the hot Yammi haha Girls! Said hello to him and asked if he just bought a new bike? He looks strange at me and burst out YEEEESSS I'm FAMOUS!!!

After that intro I just forgot about my lady for a while and Trent seemed to totally forget his little UNI-girl and the bike talk was on!!

Anyways, I'm not really sure if it would be a good idea for me to run along on that big trip, as I just got the new bike, have no gear and aren't so experianced as the rest of the guys here.

So mabye I could tag along on this one, test it out and see how it goes?

If it is possiable to join, I can not go with you guys from the morning(have a presentation to do), but would run up to Kanchanaburi on my own in the afternoon and meet you up there instaed. Sounds ok?

Cheers

/12Gon

Ps: Does anyone know where to find a NON-synthetic 10w-40 oil I been checking in around 15 gasstations now.. Preffarably close to Rama 4 or the Kwaker garage?

12Gon PM Tony for oil, he bought for me and Trenty aka bananaboy.

If you have the chance to join SSR do it mate, you can borrow bananaboy's jacket as he shall ride in the bananasuit and use normal cheap safety boots bought in any safety shop, can fix you some usable gloves for free. Use jeans and you should be OK, the gang is very enthusiastic and you'd hate to miss out on all the fun and the experience. You'll be fine on the trip mate, and you'd get a ton of riding experience and meet lot of other cool riders up North and in Isaan.

Cheers Bard

12Gon PM Tony for oil, he bought for me and Trenty aka bananaboy.

If you have the chance to join SSR do it mate, you can borrow bananaboy's jacket as he shall ride in the bananasuit and use normal cheap safety boots bought in any safety shop, can fix you some usable gloves for free. Use jeans and you should be OK, the gang is very enthusiastic and you'd hate to miss out on all the fun and the experience. You'll be fine on the trip mate, and you'd get a ton of riding experience and meet lot of other cool riders up North and in Isaan.

Cheers Bard

Thanks for the invite!!

Sounds like a plan to put Trent in the Banana suit!!

I have a good par of gloves and a fine helmet, but lacks the rest, so if anyone has a jacket etc to lend me it would be sweet :o

However lets try first and see if I even have a chance to keep up with you guys. .

Anyone thought about going from Kanchanaburi to the bike week in Suphanburi?

Laters

/12Gon

Thanks for the invite!!

I have a good par of gloves and a fine helmet, but lacks the rest, so if anyone has a jacket etc to lend me it would be sweet :D

/12Gon

I got a jacket to loan/sell :o .. what size you think you are..im about a 50 but jacket has been on bigger then me..

Edited by Triangulator

Kanchanaburi sounds groovin' but...

Still stuck in the Beirut Palace doing trip reports and cutting vids and pics together. Gonna be another 4 days or so before I can start touring prep.

So 28th Feb is too soon for me to fire up the Storm Child again.

Bounce some wenches for me boys :o

Thanks for the invite!!

I have a good par of gloves and a fine helmet, but lacks the rest, so if anyone has a jacket etc to lend me it would be sweet :D

/12Gon

I got a jacket to loan/sell :o .. what size you think you are..im about a 50 but jacket has been on bigger then me..

I'm not really sure about what size I'm, but I'm 188cm (6,3") and weigh 95kg. With normal clothes I wear XL in shirts (52), and have 34" 36" in normal jeans size. So not really sure if that would work.. Anyone else who has anything to sell/rent/lend??

/12Gon

Well, that's two votes for ACTION and none for Bush :D:D:D

Kanchanaburi it is!

Well, as representatives of the older generation (?), we'll be staying in Sangkhlaburi. Bike fun will have to compensate then for the lack of action... :D

Anyway, since apparently we will have no beer together then (unless we meet at night in the middle of nowhere between S. and K. :o ), sms me where you'll have lunch break. Maybe a possibility to introduce the groups to each other there.

Enjoy the ride. Careful and safe trip na. (My friend who proposed the ride has been taken out by a low flying Honda Click in BKK last week and cannot join!)

Well, that's two votes for ACTION and none for Bush :D:D:D

Kanchanaburi it is!

Well, as representatives of the older generation (?), we'll be staying in Sangkhlaburi. Bike fun will have to compensate then for the lack of action... :D

Anyway, since apparently we will have no beer together then (unless we meet at night in the middle of nowhere between S. and K. :o ), sms me where you'll have lunch break. Maybe a possibility to introduce the groups to each other there.

Enjoy the ride. Careful and safe trip na. (My friend who proposed the ride has been taken out by a low flying Honda Click in BKK last week and cannot join!)

Would love to go - but have to follow up some details for work at our resort in Kanchanaburi - groups (VIPs)0 blah blah blah....

Chris

Coolio- seems our SSR Kanachanaburi Ride is growing and growing.

12Gon and JohnnyF, I posted a map and link to the rendezvous point in a previous post. Hopefully you'll have no trouble finding the Tesco Rama III.

I've got another mate who also wishes to join. He'll be riding up bright and early from Chonburi. He's riding an SR400 so he'll definitely be the slowest member of our group... His bike tops out at about 140 so I'm going try to hang back with him and I'll print out detailed maps for him in case I lose him and hopefully he can catch up with us for lunch and then again in Kanchanaburi.

So, I think this is our group so far:

Tony ER6n

Trent FZ6

Peter XJR1300

JohnnyF Ninja250R?

12Gon ???

KT SR400

I'm nursing a nice hangover this morning, courtesy of Trenty :o so I apologize in advance if I've forgotten anyone!

These gents seem interested but have not yet comfirmed- Ithailian, Trevelmate, AnthonyR1, Grant

See you all bright and early on Saturday morning!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Have a nice trip guys and enjoy, I am still browning out with the boss until Saturday 03:00 AM when I finally can get home bound again. Tony pls material for the mag would be appreciated, so photos ride report and guys since lot of you are on new bikes, a feedback on the new rides would be cool. Tony can explain what I'm on about...

Anyways enjoy and have a ton of fun. I will do the drink drank drunk on my horrid 3 day travel back home and probably end up in places I should not go :o

Cheers and see you on Monday Tony, and the Epic riders on Tuesday. Hope to see all of the ones who don't manage the Epic for reasons in Udon 7th of March.

Hi Kym!

Cool to hear that you can join us for the Kanchanaburi ride.

We're setting off bright and early to get out of Bangers before the heat and I hope we can rendezvous in time to join the group. (Since I kind of organized this ride it would really look bad if I turn up late)

I'm not sure which way you will ride into town, but you suggested we meet on Onnut, so- I propose we meet up at the Esso Station on Onnut here at 0600:

EssoOnnutMap.jpg

Here's a link: http://www.mapguidethailand.com/home/map?l...20Gas%20Station

Here's a zoomed in map of the same area:

EssoOnnutMapZm.jpg

Do you think you can be there by 0600? From there we continue on to Sukhumvit, hang a left at Asoke/Ratchadapisek/Rama III and hang a left on Narathiwat Rajanagarindra. That should realistically take us 30-40 minutes and then we'll have time to meet the other guys, gas up, get a coffee, and hit the road.

Happy Trails!

Tony