Pattaya V's Phuket

Gavinmcm

Pattaya wins hands down on all three! Hotels are cheaper for the same quality, there are more bars (and definitely more and better gogos), and the City is swarming with women of all shapes and sizes - dunno if they're cheaper than in Phuket though.

The only thing that Phuket is better for are the beaches - Pattaya's beaches are narrow, rubbish infested and dirty, whereas Phuket's are large and clean - especially away from Patong. Not sure what the beaches are like following the sunami, though.

Pattaya wins hands down on all three! Hotels are cheaper for the same quality, there are more bars (and definitely more and better gogos), and the City is swarming with women of all shapes and sizes - dunno if they're cheaper than in Phuket though.

The only thing that Phuket is better for are the beaches - Pattaya's beaches are narrow, rubbish infested and dirty, whereas Phuket's are large and clean - especially away from Patong. Not sure what the beaches are like following the sunami, though.

God, this guy has got class.

Hey folks,

This has nothing to do with the Tsunami, just a general question. Probably end up going to both places when I come on holiday anyway.

Just good hear from other people that have been to Pattaya and not some travel agent trying to sell me a crap holiday !!!

But have to say, I still prefer Phuket at the moment !!!

Pattaya is great place - personally think you will have a good time. Eyebee is correct beaches are far better in Phuket hands down.

I wouldnt dare hit a beach in Pattaya unless I take a speed boat elsewhere. Apart from beach issues Pattaya caters to everything you might think of - shopping, sports, live music (Blues Factory) and the infamous adult oriented faire.

Base it around, hotels, bars, clubs & woman !!!!

Can't miss with Pattaya. Lots of top shelf women, bars in many locales, Walking Street, the sois off Beach Road, Naklua and Jomtiem. There are great restaurants as well as food stalls. You can run up to the Big C and buy deli food for a sandwich in your hotel room if you like.

Rubbish infested beaches is harsh. I don't know about Patttaya Beach. I have only walked down to the beach for a few pics. Jomtiem Beach at the far end by the Nang Nual restraurant is not full of rubbish. Naklua is not bad either. The water is not as clear as Phuket will grant that. I go Dec.-Jan. and May-June pretty busy times.

Edited by aughie

Hello folks,

I have been Phuket, never been to Pattaya (heard alot of good things about it), but for anyone who has been to both, which is best ??

Base it around, hotels, bars, clubs & woman !!!!

:o hotels, bars, clubs : good ones and not so good ones in Pattay and Phuket, depending on what you choose.

Women : what does it help you having 5.000 good ones, and you fall in love with the only bad one?

Central beaches in Phuket (Patong) and Pattaya (including Jomtien) good for everything but going into the water.

Islands off Pattaya (45 min with the boat) cristal clear water , everything else a ripoff.

Main difference : Pattaya about 30% cheaper (some say not only in price, but in quality)

I believe Phuket tries to maintain some kind of 'Premium' image over other resorts in Thailand I do not think the Premium paid in money to partake of this image has anything to do with the quality of bars, clubs and women, in the case of hotels I would say Phuket could be worthy of such a premium say if you were on a honeymoon and took advantage of the more secluded locations made possible by the less 'city', environment, such as the Meridian and similar hotels. This 'Premium' feeling is carried through at all levels including I read Tuk Tuk drivers more or less openly conning tourists as a matter of course , this probably runs throught the whole local mentality. I would imagine that bar/ladies life is prolific there (as everwhere) but I think economics in this area would also involve a Premium mentality. As after all you would be a Premium customer. I read elsewhere in this forum Phuket has 3000 HIV cases 2000 of which are women which seems what I would call a risky level for such a small place, beware (everywhere)!

I have been staying in Pattaya for a few weeks now, I am part of a couple, so have not indulged but on the face of it Pattaya is just like Wonderland for Alice for the interests you specify , I would go as far as to say for the average Englishman it is unbelievable, there is just so much of everything I can't see how a deal can't be had on everything with a bit of care.

However, the overiding feeling I get in Pattaya is that of 'Big City' not holiday resort, and personally I would forget Phuket in Favour of Ko Samui on a dual centre holiday,

and for general good feeling, with plenty of trimmings I would put Samui at No.1, Chaweng beach at dusk can't be beat for a Happy hour beer or two, anywhere, Plenty of Ladybars, probably not such hardcore ladies, plenty of clubs in Green Mango its namesake disco I thought was spot on, and in Lamai twelve miles down the road.

Personally , I would consider coming out independently rather than on a package deal, if you do this it is crucial that you work out when high season is not, as then there will be plenty of accommodation at bargain prices and you could change loaction easily and cheaply to take advantage say of the discos in Chaweng and Lamai , cos even though they are only about 12 miles apart you don't need that at two o'clock in the morning, especially if you a have a new lady!

I arrived Samui August 18th and no problem at all , and EVERYTHING was cheaper because out of main season.

Any questions PM me.

Edited by fisherd3

Having spent 13 years travelling to thailand pattaya and phucket i would sum the resorts up like this phucket wins on the beach and sea front but is no real match for the land side of things in entertainment etc pattaya is king in that respect.The streets are no cleaner in phucket than they are in pattaya.Pattaya has some great islands to explore to make up for there average sea front.

If you want a beach holiday with a good amount of night life phucket just scores higher but if you want it more lively with fun fun fun and a exceptable beach Pattaya wins hands down.Im a Pattaya man fun fun fun enjoying bowling shooting cinema pool darts cold beer and well i think its time to see if there is any improvement on the beach road with all that cable laying etc :o

I hate Phuket from the crazy taxi drive from the airport to the overpriced run down hotels and beach huts to the miniscule entertainment area to the lack of infrastructure.

The beaches on Koh Phi Phi are ok, but you don't have to go far away from Pattaya to find excellent beaches here too.

I used to go to Phuket every three months, sometimes for the diving, sometimes just for the onshore activities.

When I lost a lot of my puff and gave up diving I sold my interest in an apartment, moved to Pattaya, into a larger apartment, and have lived here ever since. The nightlife is more varied, the prices are cheaper, there are far more farang-oriented shops and businesses.

Absolutely no contest, unless you require constant beach and underwater activities.