American Food/groceries In Bkk..?

ChrisP

Anyone know of anywhere I can find typically American (or even British) grocery/frozen-food items in BKK..? (not a restaurant)

In particular, I'm looking for Frozen Entrees/meals like they have in the USA... I notice that Thai Supermarkets aren't big on Frozen Food items...

Thanks for any info..!

ChrisP

Any of the Tops, Lotus or Carrefour stores will have a fair selection but you will not find them like in US and people, when not eating out or on from vender, prepare their own food here or they buy ready to cook rather than frozen. As mentioned the S&P line is good for microwave types. But you are not going to find much selection anywhere.

Any of the Tops, Lotus or Carrefour stores will have a fair selection but you will not find them like in US and people, when not eating out or on from vender, prepare their own food here or they buy ready to cook rather than frozen.  As mentioned the S&P line is good for microwave types.  But you are not going to find much selection anywhere.

Only Villa especially the ones on sukhumvit

but you will not find them like in US

Oh.... what a shame..! :o

I've tried Tesco, Tops, Carrefour etc.. (not Villa yet)... and looked at the S&P line.. but not the same as Marie Callendars, or Swanson, Healthy Choice.. etc

I just thought there might be an imported Farang/Expat grocery somewhere.. for us homesick types...!

But thanks for the suggestions...

ChrisP

Am I just the odd one out here, or shouldn't everyone feel sorry for someone that the biggest thing they miss from the good old US is the frozen dinners?

I live in the US, but having been to LOS a few times and planning to move there in a few years, I have tried to imagine what I would miss, but frozen dinners did not even make the list!

Geeze, I haven't had a frozen dinner since I was a kid and my Mom started to go to university class at night. I remember these flimsy aluminum trays, turkey that tasted like cardboard, gellatinous gravy and mashed spuds that were more like paste than food. Maybe they've improved since then (that was 40 years ago), but I certainly haven't longed for one in all that time! :o

They've changed a lot since then.  A lot of them are better than you'd be served in many restaurants in LOS.

And many are now produced by leading restaurant chains. But none of that here unless you have access to a diplomatic enclave or military supply source as the shipping of frozen food is just too expensive for the limited demand.

I remember these flimsy aluminum trays, turkey that tasted like cardboard, gellatinous gravy and mashed spuds that were more like paste than food. Maybe they've improved since then (that was 40 years ago), but I certainly haven't longed for one in all that time! :o

They've improved in name only. They're now called 'In-flight Meals'.

Geeze, I haven't had a frozen dinner since I was a kid and my Mom started to go to university class at night. I remember these flimsy aluminum trays, turkey that tasted like cardboard, gellatinous gravy and mashed spuds that were more like paste than food. Maybe they've improved since then (that was 40 years ago), but I certainly haven't longed for one in all that time! :o

If it gets any colder in Isaan all the bloodi dinners will be frozen :D:D

when hibernating in Suphan between jobs I gave up and decided to make my own food. I decided chili with beans and corn bread...went to tescos and found that they have no canned beans (tried cooking dried pulses without success), no ground beef and no corn flour.

Shee-it...what's a falang to do???

(an' don't say 'go back to Russia' lest you incurr the mighty wrath...etc)

^^

I found canned baked beans in one of the supermarkets... (sorry but coan't remember which one!)

ChrisP

Good canned beans under the Ayam brand are sold at most supermarkets, including Foodland, Lotus and Tops. Even the tasteless, and much more expensive, US brands are often available.

aughie...yeah I did soak the beans (red kidneys) overnight then cooked them for about 3 hours and they were still crunchy.

Lop, I've looked all over the tescos in Suphan and the only canned beans I can find are the occasional Campbells pork and beans...I'm pretty sure I covered the whole store...

^^

I found canned baked beans in one of the supermarkets... (sorry but coan't remember which one!)

ChrisP

Good canned beans under the Ayam brand are sold at most supermarkets, including Foodland, Lotus and Tops. Even the tasteless, and much more expensive, US brands are often available.

I saw at least 3 different varieties of baked beans at Villa last time I was there. (but I think they were Australian brands - definitely not Heinz anyway). - But not bad...

I'm fairly sure I saw canned kidney beans as well, and definitely saw canned Chilli.

Being a brit - I went there to get Cornish Pasties, and black pudding, so I think you should be able to get something as simple as ground beef.

But note - Villa isn't a cheap place to go shopping compared to other supermarkets. It's never going to replace our regular trip to Big C or Tesco, I just go there for the things I can't get elsewhere.

aughie...yeah I did soak the beans (red kidneys) overnight then cooked them for about 3 hours and they were still crunchy.

Lop, I've looked all over the tescos in Suphan and the only canned beans I can find are the occasional Campbells pork and beans...I'm pretty sure I covered the whole store...

The Tescos in Rangsit have stopped stocking the Ayam brand. No problems with Tops or Carrefour.

The Tescos in Rangsit have stopped stocking the Ayam brand. No problems with Tops or Carrefour.

Tesco has dropped a lot of products, including there imported house brands, over the last year. Big C also sells Ayam.