Overstay-

my boyfriend-english farang is on about 7 months overstay. we have NO money, but possibly can borrow. Question; if we get 20,000 baht (is it still 20,000???) to pay fine, can he just go to laos/cambodia/burma/malaysia and re-enter after paying fine on new visa or does he have to leave asia? will he be "Blacklisted??" and not be able to re-enter? please help. what to do? thankyou

Yes, no problems. 20,000 Baht. Be sure that he doesn't get cought before he reach the border!

He will get 30 days on arrival on the new entry. Can be good to obtain a clean passport before applying for a new visa abroad.

No blacklisting for overstay that is paid up as above.

how can any owerstay 7 month? Do they don't

respect other countris rules and laws? Do they

think we from other countries can do what we

want? Or have they an idea thats Mai Pen Rai

Please wake up we are visitors

Thanks

To be fair, this is hardly a phenomena limited to faramgs visiting Thailand. As was pointed out on another thread, fully one in four Thais who are granted tourist visas to the US NEVER come back. That's NEVER. Not just 7 month overstay and 'where can I pay a fine'. Its, 'where can I get a job and how can I dissapear?';

Is it the same fine for a year 2 years or even longer, is there a cut off point when they nail you????

No, there is no cut off, and they will not jail you if you clear it up at the airport/border. If they catch you before, it's deportation.

thankyou all very much for your helpful reply. as for you, "pavina" i would just like to tell you that my boyfriend is a VERY good person, and has done MUCH good work here in Thailand. helped MANY poor Thai's and sacrificed much time and money for Thailand and Thai people. He is only on such a long overstay because of his GOOD character by helping people and being generous, was CHEATED in return and left with no money. It has taken all this time for him to try and recover this money> now he has realised he cannot. We are poor. now we try to find another way to get 20,000 Baht for fine and money for ticket out. you should please in the future be sure of fact's when you say hurtful things about people whose circumstances you know nothing about! if every farang that visited Thailand were like my boyfriend, how good for Thailand. By the way we are "married" under Buddhist Thai tradition. I was a virgin when we met. He did not pick me up in a bar. He is a GOOD and Honorable man. thankyou perfect Pavina. Thankyou Khun ChiangMai Thai for standing up for us. God Bless you all, Kan

Pavina, I'm sure you'll agree that looking to right the wrong by borrowing 20,000 baht and paying the fine is quite different from dissapearing in a country and working in a post a local may well deserve in addition to possibly receiving benefits at the expense of the local taxpayer with no intention of 'coming clean' or paying any fines.

thank you.

let's get this straight.....

you are going to borrow 20 000 baht (at what rate of interest?) and GIVE it to this farang, for his visa run.....

Some questions.

if he doesn't come back, who will the money lender come after???

if he was robbed, was he insured?

if he has no money, who paid for your wedding?

What about his family, couldn't they pay?

("Dear mum, give me 20 000 baht, or I go to jail" type letter usually works)

Why are you asking about this after 7 months? I'd have wanted to know after 7 days.....

At least make him leave something as security, watch or whatever, AND GO WITH HIM TO THE BORDER SO YOU CAN HELP IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS.

hello,

@Pavina, the reasons for a "farang" to overstay can be numerous, and sometimes it really necessary to do it. If, like me, you like thailand, and mostly all we are proud to have the chance to stay here, we absolutely don't need to offense any thai law.

But life sometimes can be complicated, all are not really wealthy, and a run to the border have a cost. I could imagine the guy who loose the job, prefer keep the visarun's money to pay the couple rent ... thinking he will find a new job quickly and do the visa next month ... If he get a new job opportunity after some month, then he will have overstay  ... I hope you get my point, my english is not so good. But the situation I described it's a real one.

It's sure for the guy it could be easiest to forget the gf (maybe a kid also) and use the money for the visa run ... what is the best solution?

Sometimes, better to think why .... then to sing the old songs about white monkey

sting01: I agree there can be reasons. It is usually no excuse with the officer in charge. I am living out of my own country for longer then I wish to remember. But one thing I do remember, Never fall afoul of the imm-laws. Having said that, I once just forgot in Taipei (the rules are nearly same as Thailand, they consult each other) my wife's and son's visa expiry. OK, reported to police, paid a fine of approx. Baht 50 each, reported to immigration, every thing seemed clear, except a one liner in their language below the extension chop. At next trip outside the country, there was no longer the usual "come back in the afternoon to pick up the new visa". There was a very stern "they overstayed, have been fined under the laws, they are both blacklisted, VISA REFUSED". In Thailand, max. Baht 20'000 which everybody could spend on something else, and you are off the hook, unless you are arrested before that and you are out and blacklisted. For me at that time it was Baht 100, only, but 24 hours "work" with close local friends, who managed to finally convince somebody to lift the blacklisting.

oh, thankyou all very much for your stupid sarcasism. would take me so long to answer you all individually. cannot be bothered. for some of you, that gave kind helpful advice, thankyou. yes i write myself. my english is good?? better than sarcastic farangs speak Thai? took me many hard years of study ? but o.k. up to you. we do not bother with you again. fools that open the mouth wide with clever witty remark's? i pray you never have this bad situation in your smallminded lives. God pity you. Kan

Unless there is a very good reason, ie accident, illness etc. overstaying ones visa is just careless. When one enters Thailand, one receives a stamp which clearly indicates validity. I have never overstayed in my life. A Cambodia visa run is available every day.

I have little sympathy for overstayers. Rules are rules. Even if I was run over by a bus I would ask the Doctor to tell immigration of my visa status.

I suggest that overstay topics, deserve the criticism of all ex-pats who are law abiding in L.O.S. In a way these foolish and inconsiderate people are making 'our' lives more difficult!

to all u self rightious farang "know everthing types" good luck for you in your life. you obviously know NOTHING of what really can and does happen here. this is MY country. you please go back to your's. i'm finished wasting our time with all of you. ignorance beyond belief.!! have another beer. then GO AWAY. kan

Hello,

Need some help please.

Currently, I have overstayed my visa.  My visa on arrival expired sept. 8th.  The soonest I am able to leave Bangkok and out of Thailand is sept. 24th.

I am willing to pay the fines.  Anyone know what the fine/day is?  Is it still 200 baht/day with max 20,000 baht?  I read on the front page that one can "clear up" the overstay at either the airport or the immigration bureau.  Am I able to "clear up" the overstay prior to me exiting the country at the immigration bureau?  Meaning: I can go to the immigration bureau tomorrow and pay the fine currently + the future fine up until the 24th, when I leave.

Also if I pay the overstay fine, will I be blacklisted?