Thai Golfer Teaches Youngsters To Break Thai Law

olsen

This article run at the PGA European Tour website, caught my eye. PGA European Tour

I am very interested in Golf, and I admire Thongchai Jaidee a lot, but doesn't he very well know that gambling is illegal in Thailand?? So how on earth can he teach these youngster golfers to break the law on gambling??? Growing up in a poor part of the country they will remember how they earned some "easy money" gambling with Thongchai Jaidee, and they will eventually continue and end up gambling for the rest of their lives putting their livelyhoods and families economy at stake. Is that something Thongchai Jaidee should teach his golf pupils?? Answer is: No way! :o

Jaidee a winner on and off the course

His popularity in Asia is such that any Thongchai Jaidee victory is always well received, but arguably the cheer which greeted his third European Tour title last Sunday was heard loudest in Lop Buri in his native Thailand.

For it is there that the Thai ace has established the Thongchai Jaidee Foundation, a charitable project which gives underprivileged youngsters – who might otherwise never get the chance to play golf – the opportunity to follow in his footsteps.

Jaidee himself emerged from a humble background, but he has certainly come a long way from his days spent learning the game with the discarded head of a five iron attached to a bamboo stick.

His victory at last week's co-sanctioned Enjoy Jakarta Indonesia Open was his third European Tour and 11th Asian Tour title, and the €163,867 he collected in prize money saw him become the first Asian Tour player to break through the US$3million barrier.

But despite his wealth, Jaidee has not forgotten his roots. Indeed, listening to him speak passionately about the Foundation, it soon becomes clear that the project – in which he takes a hands-on role – is very close to his heart.

Jaidee said: "The Foundation was my own idea. I started it around eight years ago, to try to give something back to the sport and encourage more youngsters to take up golf in Thailand. We have five permanent staff working there now, so it's definitely grown.

"It's open to any kids interested in the game, and the word is obviously spreading – we have a lot more youngsters coming through, which is pleasing. We have ten new juniors with single figure handicaps, and they practice a lot. Whenever I'm home, I practice with them as much as I can too. I teach them how to tackle a golf course and how to behave, and we even place bets on the outcome. The winner gets a small amount of money, while the loser will have to run around the course.

"It teaches them how to handle themselves whether they win or lose, and also teaches them discipline. Maybe that's my army background coming out! They have it much easier now, what with all the new technology. We didn't have that when I started out in the game – golf is moving so fast.

"We also have a golf school as well as the Foundation, for more talented players. One of the students recently won a team event at the University of Malaysia, which was a big achievement. So the standard of players we are producing is improving all the time."

Thus, whilst Jaidee will be remembered by golfing fans chiefly for his exploits on The European Tour and the Asian Tour, it is perhaps his work closer to home which will leave the greater legacy.

Lighten up Dave. Try to recognize a little sarcasm when you read it.

On a more serious note. Simply because a person is 'loved' does not make him above criticism. Gambling can be highly addictive and destructive. We see this in all countries. It is not unlike the use of illicit substances insofar as many people can handle them, and some cannot. Those who cannot are in for a rough ride and will hurt many others along the way. In this vein I don't think introducing kids to gambling, no matter the intent, is a good idea. Given that most forms of gambling are illegal in this country it makes these actions from a 'beloved hero' all the more questionable.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Many people have lost homes/farms/families and entire fortunes through gambling that they learned at an early age , it can and is as addictive as drugs/alcohol and cigarettes etc . Demi-gods should teach by example , gambling is an evil . :o

...Growing up in a poor part of the country they will remember how they earned some "easy money" gambling with Thongchai Jaidee, and they will eventually continue and end up gambling for the rest of their lives putting their livelyhoods and families economy at stake. Is that something Thongchai Jaidee should teach his golf pupils?? Answer is: No way! :o

You come across as a sanctimonious s***t head that has nothing better to do then post drivel about people that are far more successful then you.

Get a life.

TH

Wouldn't it be just as likely for them to remember :

how they earned some "easy money" playing golf with Thongchai Jaidee, and they will eventually continue to become professional golfers

He hardly brought them to an illegal underground cock fighting ring, and taught them how to place their bets.

Many people have lost homes/farms/families and entire fortunes through gambling that they learned at an early age , it can and is as addictive as drugs/alcohol and cigarettes etc . Demi-gods should teach by example , gambling is an evil . :o

Gambling is fun, people should just know when to stop and that is the main problem. Lack of self control weak minds ect. There are so many things forbidden in the world that people could enjoy because some weak minds can't handle them.

I have gambled a bit in Holland once a year and of course gambled while playing cards for fun. But those arent huge amounts at all. Its all about self control the trend is now that goverments forbid and forbid and dont let people think for themselves.

Gambling is fun, people should just know when to stop and that is the main problem. Lack of self control weak minds ect. There are so many things forbidden in the world that people could enjoy because some weak minds can't handle them.

I have gambled a bit in Holland once a year and of course gambled while playing cards for fun. But those arent huge amounts at all. Its all about self control the trend is now that goverments forbid and forbid and dont let people think for themselves.

The logical next steps to your argument will be to legalize all drugs, deregulate all business, and ultimately eliminate police forces. After all, if people could just control themselves there would be no need for any laws whatsoever.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I just believe in the freedom to do with my own body what i want and if that is to take drugs yes. I am also for active euthanasia. As long as i don't harm others why would it be illigal. Its not the using of drugs that harms others its stealing or robbing for it. But not every drug user does that. There are enough who use a lil bit for fun and never do more then that.

Alcohol is in essence a hard drug too if you check the criteria but its still allowed.

But we were speaking about gambling ? could you please explain to me who is the victim of gambling ? Don't come with a story of people loosing their wages, they are just plain stupid to gamble with money they cant loose. There are enough people who enjoy a lil bit of gambling and don't overstep the boundaries why should they be punished because there are a few who cant control themselves ?

:o

Is this for real? I see many people who will complain about anything they can find on Thailand. Thailand has many faults and many great things.

But this is just silly.

Some of us were not complaining about Thailand perse , your post is just silly trying to turn it into hate mail , we were merely passing our opinion about what is maybe not a good thing to teach young , impressive people , by people who do impress them . These comments could be applied to many countries and a multitude of insructors . :D

Is this for real? I see many people who will complain about anything they can find on Thailand. Thailand has many faults and many great things.

But this is just silly.

Some of us were not complaining about Thailand perse , your post is just silly trying to turn it into hate mail , we were merely passing our opinion about what is maybe not a good thing to teach young , impressive people , by people who do impress them . These comments could be applied to many countries and a multitude of insructors . :D

Well, let's not confuse the issue. We were talking specifically about one country, one sport, and one athlete. Ever go to a sports camp, or summer camp, or training session? Pit one team of the camp against another team of the camp; whoever loses has to clean the dishes; whoever wins gets to watch the losers work. That's gambling, too, just not with money. Is it a motivator? Yeah, but a small one. But if the winners get 5 baht after a full afternoon's work, and the losers have to do laps, is that a motivator too? The way you've interpreted the article, you would have to say that both ways are gambling, in which case the camp directors are guilty of a crime. And if Tiger Woods gives a golf ball he used to one of his students, who will cherish it forever...same same. Sheesh... as we would say in the great white north, you're skating on very thin ice in July.

I just believe in the freedom to do with my own body what i want and if that is to take drugs yes. As long as i don't harm others why would it be illigal. Its not the using of drugs that harms others its stealing or robbing for it. But not every drug user does that. There are enough who use a lil bit for fun and never do more then that.

You are entitled to your opinion. The majority of people in the world, however, disagree. Laws are in place. This doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. Be careful.

Using drugs does in fact harm others. Ask the families and friends of drug addicts. Ask a drug addict himself or herself. Ask the non-addict who engages in drug used with addicts. There can be no doubt that drug use can and does cause serious harm to individuals and communities. Many people can't use drugs responsibly if such a thing exists in this day and age. They then cause harm to themselves and others. So it has been decided by the majority in society that they should be criminalized, in most places anyway.

Alcohol is in essence a hard drug too if you check the criteria but its still allowed.

Indeed. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

But we were speaking about gambling ? could you please explain to me who is the victim of gambling ? Don't come with a story of people loosing their wages, they are just plain stupid to gamble with money they cant loose. There are enough people who enjoy a lil bit of gambling and don't overstep the boundaries why should they be punished because there are a few who cant control themselves ?

Again. Ask the wives, children, parents, extended families, colleagues, and friends of compulsive gamblers who is harmed and how much. I think you will find that a great deal of suffering revolves around legal gambling. It is also true that there are many people who enjoy gambling and never have a problem. On the other hand many do have major problems. Innocents are hurt. Society as a whole is damaged.

Civilized society is about common ideals and ethics codified into law. This necessitates individual sacrifice for the health and welfare of the greater community. There is no way around this basic trade-off.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I just believe in the freedom to do with my own body what i want and if that is to take drugs yes. As long as i don't harm others why would it be illigal. Its not the using of drugs that harms others its stealing or robbing for it. But not every drug user does that. There are enough who use a lil bit for fun and never do more then that.

You are entitled to your opinion. The majority of people in the world, however, disagree. Laws are in place. This doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. Be careful.

Using drugs does in fact harm others. Ask the families and friends of drug addicts. Ask a drug addict himself or herself. Ask the non-addict who engages in drug used with addicts. There can be no doubt that drug use can and does cause serious harm to individuals and communities. Many people can't use drugs responsibly if such a thing exists in this day and age. They then cause harm to themselves and others. So it has been decided by the majority in society that they should be criminalized, in most places anyway.

Indeed. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Again. Ask the wives, children, parents, extended families, colleagues, and friends of compulsive gamblers who is harmed and how much. I think you will find that a great deal of suffering revolves around legal gambling. It is also true that there are many people who enjoy gambling and never have a problem. On the other hand many do have major problems. Innocents are hurt. Society as a whole is damaged.

Civilized society is about common ideals and ethics codified into law. This necessitates individual sacrifice for the health and welfare of the greater community. There is no way around this basic trade-off.

I agree with what you are saying.. still i dont like the trade off. In the past i have done some drugs on a casual bases and have seen many who did the same with no problems at all. Now i don't use them it was just a phase. Gambeling.. havent gotten much with it to be honest but its just i hate it when they outlaw things.

You are correct there are always people who cant handle things but i just dont like it that others who can handle it are loosing their liberties over it. That just feels wrong its like saying i cant drive a car and because i cant you cant either.

But this is just silly.

Well, let's not confuse the issue. We were talking specifically about one country, one sport, and one athlete. Ever go to a sports camp, or summer camp, or training session? Pit one team of the camp against another team of the camp; whoever loses has to clean the dishes; whoever wins gets to watch the losers work. That's gambling, too, just not with money. Is it a motivator? Yeah, but a small one. But if the winners get 5 baht after a full afternoon's work, and the losers have to do laps, is that a motivator too? The way you've interpreted the article, you would have to say that both ways are gambling, in which case the camp directors are guilty of a crime. And if Tiger Woods gives a golf ball he used to one of his students, who will cherish it forever...same same. Sheesh... as we would say in the great white north, you're skating on very thin ice in July.

You are skewing gambling against rewards , entirely different idealisms , money is what differenciates the two , money is what motivates people to gamble and SHOULD NOT be encouraged by instuctors whatever thier claim to fame . This is not specific to any one country or sport , or for that matter , any specific activity , this is why some people grow up thinking they can screw thier government for a pension for which they do not have specific entitlement , thats a form of gambling is it not ? You could enlarge on that for us also , could you not ? :D

"we even place bets on the outcome. The winner gets a small amount of money"

I don't think that this gives enough information to determine whether gambling is involved or not. As I see it, gambling is where you place money on one of a number of outcomes when you have no control over which outcome will eventually obtain. Horse racing, boxing, soccer, roulette, etc., all fit this model. In order for what Thongchai Jaidee is doing to fit this model, the 10 golfers would have to place money on another golfer winning. This seems a bit odd to me.

I think that a bt of hermeneutics is required here, given that English is not Thongchai Jaidee's native language.

I think that it is more likely that one of the following two scenarios is operative: (a) each of the 10 golfers puts some money in a kitty, winner take all (or some for first place, second place, etc.) This set up is just like a tournament and so cannot be called gambling, given that there are professional golf tournaments in Thailand; (:o the 10 golfers play against each other in pairs and each member of the pair plays his opponent for a set amount of money, winner take all. This doesn't seem to be gambling, either, because the participants have a great deal of control over the outcome and anyway, is just like one round in a matchplay tournament.

As an aside, when I was a lad, I took a leaf out of Lee Trevino's book. I read that to toughen homself up, he used to play golf for money when he didn't have any money in his pocket. I took to playing the members at the club for a few quid when I didn't have enough money to pay if I lost. Trevino was right. It toughens you up. Further, it's amazing what you can pull out of the bag if you can't afford to lose. I did it a few times and never lost. Thongchai Jaidee's idea is a good one for promoting the future of Thai golf.