Cuts Of Thai Beef

ianh68

As a UK ex-pat I am familiar with UK cuts of beef, e.g. topside, sirloin, chuck steak, shin of beef etc. When I go to the supermarket here I am faced with various labels I don't understand and have to rely on sight, which is not the best way. Tonight I'm cooking something called co-beef, whatever that is. I've got a diagram showing the UK cuts of beef. Is there a Thai equivalent or any other way I can locate what I am buying on the body of the animal?

Ian, Unless you are going to a Farang shop like Tesco etc then you will have a hard time to recognise any farang cuts. If you go to a Thai market just look at the meat. They dont joint their animals like they would at home but if you look you can find the fillet etc. I was at the market the other day and passed the beef stall. There was a lovely lump of fillet just lying there. I got the lot for 200 baht. Absolutely lovely. :o

janh68

every thursday morning around 2 am local time (thailand time), i drove to the local slaughterhouse

with the beef cut diagram in hand and happily got what i needed. yes, almost every thurdays evening

a few farangs would dine together to catch up with gossips.... lol

at the slaughterhouse, even though the butcher could not speak english, but they could cut out what

you need, if they could see which part of the beef you are pointing to.... lol

co-beef??????

is it something like half-cow and half-buffalo???????????

good luick

:o i have pretty much given up on finding beef, when i do try beef i am just not happy with the end results. i have found a great pork stall at the night market in Buriram, one of the girls lived in England and speaks excellent English.

I have tried several traditional beef dishes using pork steak and have been very happy with the results. i tried adding a home made taco mix to the ground pork and it makes a very good taco and i find it to be an excellent sub for ground beef. I do know the difference between beef and pork.

I just have a problem with Thai beef. :D

I had my best Thai beef ever two days ago. I'd bought some frozen rib eye steaks from Macro in Buriram. I defrosted them firstly outside the fridge then inside all day. Seasoned with just a little salt and some pepper and into a hot pan. 4 steaks, not much fat and a little over 3 minutes one side then 1 or 2 minutes the other. About 1.5cm thick. All 4 steaks great. Cooked medium rare but left in a minute as the pan cooled to finish off.

Price was about Bt200 or Bt300 for 6 steaks.

98% of all other Thai beef I have had has been shit.

When I moved up here to isaan I was told that I could buy a complete cow for 3000 baht. Well I went out and bought a big chest freezer and then tried to find my cow. It appears there are many farms that will sell you the cow and they will kill it for you as well of course but none of them has a clue how to cut the thing up. I guess there must be abatoirs somewhere to do this but I'm damned if I could find anyone who had any idea where.

So I switched the freezer off again but it does make a great worksurface though.

HL :o

When I moved up here to isaan I was told that I could buy a complete cow for 3000 baht. Well I went out and bought a big chest freezer and then tried to find my cow. It appears there are many farms that will sell you the cow and they will kill it for you as well of course but none of them has a clue how to cut the thing up. I guess there must be abatoirs somewhere to do this but I'm damned if I could find anyone who had any idea where.

So I switched the freezer off again but it does make a great worksurface though.

HL :D

I got ripped off! My GF asked me for 16,000 baht for a buffalo! :o

Ian, Unless you are going to a Farang shop like Tesco etc then you will have a hard time to recognise any farang cuts. If you go to a Thai market just look at the meat. They dont joint their animals like they would at home but if you look you can find the fillet etc. I was at the market the other day and passed the beef stall. There was a lovely lump of fillet just lying there. I got the lot for 200 baht. Absolutely lovely. :o

I do most of my shopping at the local Carrefour, which has these challenging labels like "bottom end". I sometimes go to Foodland which has excellent beef. Looks like if I train my eye as good as H2oDunc's things should improve. (Though I'm not 100% confident of the hygiene aspect of Thai meat stalls). I'll also give Macro a visit now.

To have a really tender steak of beef, the meat need to hang i a fridge (4-5 celsius) for 21 days. That is a fact. I don't know the name for the proces i english, but my dictionary tells me it's called ripening period?

During the ripening period you will loose some of the meat. The 21 days and the loss of meat will drive the price higher, and that's one reason why there is a link between price and quality. Not saying that you can't buy expensive and get poor quality or oppersite around. But there is a direct link.

I am not sure if a normal thai butcher use ripening at all?

Still the best quality Beef in Isaan is at the Thai-French Beef Coop. outside of Sakhon Nakhon... It is nothing like the "Thai Beef", and you will find that the butchers there will cut it to whatever you like... I usually get T-Bone Steaks about 2 cm thick, and of course a kilo of Filet as well... They have all of the normal "Western Cuts" such as Sirloin, Top Round, Bottom Round, Rib Eye and wonderful Roasts....

The beef from there is equal to or better than anything available in the stores in the States... And very close to what is available at Top Quality Restrurants...

For those of us in Kalasin it is about an hour and half drive, but well worth the effort about once a month to stock up and fill the freezer...

Pianoman

A slow coooker is a good investment if you like to stew casserole beef. Any cut will be tender within 6 hours in a slow cooker. Slow cookers can be bought in Tescos, Big c etc. I've heard that a rice cooker can do the same job, but never tried that myself as the girlfriend would not be happy cleaning it afterwards.

If you buy a rid-eye, rump or sirloin then marination is the key. Use some herbs and something acidic, vinigar, citrus juice and leave outside the fridge ( covered with marinate and covered with something to keep the flies away for a day or two. The acid in the marinade tenderises the meat and then it can be grilled or fried.

Sun drying is also an option - this will alwasy make the meat more tender. Make sure to marinade and add sesame seeds. You can sun dry any cut.

Alternatively you go pop down to Gary's place in prasat and buy excellent steaks ready to cook.

Cheers,

GFL.

Still the best quality Beef in Isaan is at the Thai-French Beef Coop. outside of Sakhon Nakhon... It is nothing like the "Thai Beef", and you will find that the butchers there will cut it to whatever you like... I usually get T-Bone Steaks about 2 cm thick, and of course a kilo of Filet as well... They have all of the normal "Western Cuts" such as Sirloin, Top Round, Bottom Round, Rib Eye and wonderful Roasts....

The beef from there is equal to or better than anything available in the stores in the States... And very close to what is available at Top Quality Restrurants...

For those of us in Kalasin it is about an hour and half drive, but well worth the effort about once a month to stock up and fill the freezer...

Pianoman

Would it be possible to point out the exact location of Thai-french Beef co. on google map? It is interesting, since I live in Kalasin too - when not in Denmark.

Pianoman

Would it be possible to point out the exact location of Thai-french Beef co. on google map? It is interesting, since I live in Kalasin too - when not in Denmark.

I have never tried posting a link to google maps, but here goes.....

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=17....mp;t=h&z=17

Hopefully that will work and get you there... If you use the Sattelite View you can see the "Y" Entrance road which winds aroung and will take you back to the Butcher Shop where you can order the cuts of your choice... They will cut and vacuum pack it, but suggest you bring a cooler with Ice for the trip home...

It is now called Pon-Yang-Khram Livestock Breeding Cooperative, and the phone # they gave us is 0-4271-4397 or 0-4271-4319, but I am sure that you would need a Thai to call as almost one there speaks English...

Pianoman

I had my best Thai beef ever two days ago. I'd bought some frozen rib eye steaks from Macro in Buriram. I defrosted them firstly outside the fridge then inside all day. Seasoned with just a little salt and some pepper and into a hot pan. 4 steaks, not much fat and a little over 3 minutes one side then 1 or 2 minutes the other. About 1.5cm thick. All 4 steaks great. Cooked medium rare but left in a minute as the pan cooled to finish off.

Price was about Bt200 or Bt300 for 6 steaks.

98% of all other Thai beef I have had has been shit.

You can buy excellent aussie beef at most of the supermarkets although it is frozen. Cheaper than you can by in Australia

In Sakon Nahkon there is a Thai French beef shop, just outside Sakon Nahkon they have the slaughter house.

If you go to www.thefoody.com click on meats and then click on cuts of beef, you can click on the the beef joints and it will say what the joint is called and whether you can roast, grill or braise. In the Thai French beef shop they have the diagram of the cow and the joints are numbered, it should make it easier for you to buy.

Hope this helps.

Geordie

Edited by geordie

Of course we are living in a country with the best meat tenderiser in the world in abundance. Buy any cut of beef you can get. Stick it in a plastic bag with some papaya ( the peel is the best). Put it in the fridge for anything between 1 an 5 hours. Tender as anything.

Don't forget about it or after too long you will end up with mush.

I got ripped off! My GF asked me for 16,000 baht for a buffalo! :o

Whats that zaphodbeeblebrox ? You said welcome to Thailand!

As to tenderizing beef here is a very quick way.If you use sliced beef mix some baking soda and water together to make a runny liquid.Put the beef in for no more then 5 min.Take the beef out and stir fry ,it will be very tender.That is what many of the Chinese do with cheap cuts of beef.

Of course we are living in a country with the best meat tenderiser in the world in abundance. Buy any cut of beef you can get. Stick it in a plastic bag with some papaya ( the peel is the best). Put it in the fridge for anything between 1 an 5 hours. Tender as anything.

Please tell how that works and whether your beef then stinks of papaya ?

Pianoman

I have never tried posting a link to google maps, but here goes.....

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=17....mp;t=h&z=17

Hopefully that will work and get you there... If you use the Sattelite View you can see the "Y" Entrance road which winds aroung and will take you back to the Butcher Shop where you can order the cuts of your choice... They will cut and vacuum pack it, but suggest you bring a cooler with Ice for the trip home...

It is now called Pon-Yang-Khram Livestock Breeding Cooperative, and the phone # they gave us is 0-4271-4397 or 0-4271-4319, but I am sure that you would need a Thai to call as almost one there speaks English...

Pianoman

That was a succesfull first timer. Thanks! :o

I do most of my shopping at the local Carrefour, which has these challenging labels like "bottom end". I sometimes go to Foodland which has excellent beef. Looks like if I train my eye as good as H2oDunc's things should improve. (Though I'm not 100% confident of the hygiene aspect of Thai meat stalls). I'll also give Macro a visit now.

Where is a local Carrefour in Issan?

Barry

Please tell how that works and whether your beef then stinks of papaya ?

There's an enzyme in papaya called papain. Basically it attacks the muscle fibres in the meat. When finished simply remove the meat, clean it and then season and cook it in your favourite way.

I do recall seeing a post on this forum quite a while ago on the same subject but I can't find the link.

In addition to the images above and searching Google for similar simple diagrams for the cuts of beef and pork, I have seen in Big C (I don't think it was Tesco) similar pictures posted on the wall above the chilled cabinets labeling in Thai and English what piece goes where.

Not a great help if you are buying from a road side stall (unless you take copies with you), which in my experiance has produced some fine cuts of meat for very little cost, compared to what is available in the city.

I'd been wanting to make a good chuck roast dinner, pot roast, for months, but never could find the right chunk of meat. I finally went up to the beef cuts chart on the wall behind the beef section at Freshmart in The Mall and pointed to the section I wanted. The butcher guy pointed to one of those large, unrecognizable chunks of meat in their display. I had him lop off about 2 1/2 inches of it and made the best pot roast I've had in 5 or 6 years. And I've only been here for almost three years.

• 1 month later...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Indeed the beef is a very good quality :D , we been last week to the shop they have in Sakon Nakhon , also buy some meat for Irrigator (and others)

You have to be in the city, stay on road 213 ( coming from Kalasin ) then look for "SUK Kasem" between Soi 4 and 6

Here is the Tel. number you can call 042-712848 ( PON YANG KRAM Cooperative)

Some Prices T.Bone 595 baht Red Eye (A310) 595 baht Striploin (A12) 690 Baht Tenderloin (A11) 960 Baht ( KILO)

Look in Google maps: Copy this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=16

Greetings to you all