Off The Beaten Path - Chiang Mai For Kids

JimmyTheMook

Taking a Sleeping Train Up CM soon with Kids in tow, and would like some recommendations about what to do with them for a few days.

We have all been there before and have seen the night safari, doi suthep , night market, etc. etc. - blah blah blah

Is there anything really cool and offbeat that we should do ?

Keep in mind these are 7 and 8 years olds

The new aquarium at CM Zoo is apparently really nice. Also the Mae Sa Valley loop as tons of stuff, the Tiger Kingdom is fairly new and there's a lot of things that kids would like. Possibly they're at an age where you could do a very light trek/tour and see some of the countryside. (Or just rent a car, drive to hilltribe villages and let them hang out.)

Taking a Sleeping Train Up CM soon with Kids in tow, and would like some recommendations about what to do with them for a few days.

We have all been there before and have seen the night safari, doi suthep , night market, etc. etc. - blah blah blah

Two come to mind, one would be the Flight of the Gibbon treetop adventure described on the website thus;

'Spend an exhilarating day on your Thailand vacation riding through the rainforest canopy on zip lines and skybridges. From high above the forest floor you will view life from a perspective once reserved only for a select group of scientists.'

Do a search on google and you will find it, it says on the website that their are no age restrictions but the children most be over 4ft tall.

Sitting here typing this post in the coffee shop at Taweechol park & Horizon Resort on the road to Doi Saket, a nice landscaped park with boating lake, small petting zoo, a small maze etc a nice place to spend half a day or so. Has an average restaurant - might be worth bringing a picnic though.

Sitting here typing this post in the coffee shop at Taweechol park & Horizon Resort on the road to Doi Saket, a nice landscaped park with boating lake, small petting zoo, a small maze etc a nice place to spend half a day or so. Has an average restaurant - might be worth bringing a picnic though.

My kids are older, but still have great fun at this park.

-chase the ducks on paddle boats

-rent bikes at 20 Bht

-feed the dear, camels and buffalos

-the coffee shop at the entrance also sells ice cream sundaes

Go early in the morning to beat the sun. I think it opens at eight. There's a resort hotel on the premises if you want to stay there.

Two come to mind, one would be the Flight of the Gibbon treetop adventure described on the website thus;

'Spend an exhilarating day on your Thailand vacation riding through the rainforest canopy on zip lines and skybridges. From high above the forest floor you will view life from a perspective once reserved only for a select group of scientists.'

Do a search on google and you will find it, it says on the website that their are no age restrictions but the children most be over 4ft tall.

Nice suggestion just one the kids is not 4ft tall yet and not sure if they would be up for the scary aspect of it.

I'd like to try to it !!!

Nice suggestion just one the kids is not 4ft tall yet and not sure if they would be up for the scary aspect of it.

I'd like to try to it !!!

Same here, my children aren't old enough for it yet as well, I'd still recommend Taweechol park though, It's a 16baht yellow songtaew ride from warawot market, takes about half hour and drops you off outside the gates of the park.

Don't forget the little stream that flows down off the hill from Doi Suthep. There are waterfall pools in a clear stream that children can splash around in. There is a short hiking trail up and down the creek. It is only about one kilometer beyond the zoo and the temple at the bottom of the hill. Nice view of the city and out of the smog. The parking lot is about 3 or 4 switch backs up the hill. It can kill a few hours very quickly. On a hot day it is nice and cool. It IS popular though and you won't find seclusion. Lots of Thai families go there on the weekend.

Catch a local bus, from Chang-Puak bus-station, up to Chang Dao (about an hour) & hop off just before the local bus-station there, then song-theaw to the caves. Take/rent torches/lamp there ! Cool and safe 'adventure' for kids ! :o

Catch a local bus, from Chang-Puak bus-station, up to Chang Dao (about an hour) & hop off just before the local bus-station there, then song-theaw to the caves. Take/rent torches/lamp there ! Cool and safe 'adventure' for kids ! :o

I remember we tried to do this once but the caves were flooded out, are they dry this time of year ?

Last year, I worked for them (I translated their first website - and hope I'll get the job for their new one). I do believe they've got plenty of activities, even for the young ones. Nice people. Defintitely worth a visit.

Reason for edit: www.treetopasia.com

Edited by adjan jb

I remember we tried to do this once but the caves were flooded out, are they dry this time of year ?

They were dry at the New-Year, when we were there, and it hasn't rained recently. The water was flowing strongly, but through a lower-level of caves, it exits into the pool/streams by the main-entrance.

The same bus also passes the elephants at Mae Tang, by the way.

Edited by Ricardo