Fig Trees, And Other Fruits Not Found In Thailand

I have 2 types of fig trees: black mission and dakota.

They start out with healthy looking growth, and have been able to propagate some via rooted branch cuttings, but after a few months of initial growth spurt, they start looking sad. Some have died, even though I take good care with watering and fertilizer. It appears when the leaves get moist for long periods (rainy season)., they get blotchy. I think it's leaf virus, and is linked the fact that there are indigenous figs nearby - which might spread pathogens. Also, there are some citrus trees nearby and have heard they co-host pathogens - one to another.

Besides fig and particularly citrus (which have a bunch of problems), my other trees (brazil nut, macadamia, avocado) are growing vigorously - with only some problems from leaf-eating insects. actually, some of my few healthy growing citrus trees is a pink grapefruit grafted on to a pomelo. Another couple grapefruits grafted on to lime rootstock are doing reasonably well. But generally, citrus seems to have various problems.

For personal use: Am also interested in growing kiwi vines and olive trees. If anyone has starts for those, let me know. Perhaps we can arrange a trade. I have pink grapefruit and brazil nut baby trees available.

I've just planted a fig tree, I think it's a Japanese variety, but I don't know the exact name. It's about 2ft tall with several small fruit and looks very healthy. We also have a citrus - pomelo and lime, lots of each and all look healthy. Some of the older pomelo don't fruit too well, but I'm told this is due to their age.

My wife wants to grow figs and has bought a variety of species to start. She read about a Thai farmer growing figs commercially, with some success, so we went to visit him in Pichit a couple of weeks ago. He said his best success comes from grafting his various fruit species on to local species fig tree, and I noticed almost all his rees were growing under plastic to ward off birds and excessive moisture.

I bought four small fig trees at a Muang Tong Thani home & garden show last year.. They were about 12inch high then.. I potted them an have them at the back of my townhouse.. They have grown very vigirously and are now around 5ft high.. All are heavy with figs.. I picked the first today the rest are just starting to ripen.. I have sprayed the leaves regularly to prevent rust/insects and they seem to love the 'Kee Gai' I've used as fertilizer.. Only wish I had some land and I'd plant a few more.. Dunno if there is much of a market here as most Thais I speak to haven't a clue what a 'fig' is.. But I have seen them fresh in Villa Market and they were 'foookin expensib'

I thought Brazil nut trees would only fruit in a forest, as they need a certain type of bee to pollinate them, who in turn need the scent of a certain kind of orchid to attract females....and so on. Could always try it by hand though :o

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph1.htm

Regards

Brazil nut trees grow strong and produce well here. Only problem; the nuts are small, about the size of tip of thumb. they put out a softball sized pod - within which are about 9 nuts. Both the pod and the nut are easy to shell. The pod takes about 15 months to ripen - the blacker the outside, the better. They're ornamental also, attractive pilate leaves and lovely subtle smell to attractive flowers. I've found the best way to prepare the nuts is: 1. take them out of pod. 2. let them dry for a week 3. gently roast them in the shell for about 40 minutes.

Don't know about, and never needed the fancy-pants pollination alluded to in the quoted post.

There are a wealth of very useful and high value fruits and nuts that could be grown in Thailand, but alas, it's mostly farang who are aware of and/or introducing them. Thais are slow to take to new things. Witness how few Thais like, or even know about avocados or figs or olives or dates. Granted, theyalready have a wealth of fruits in their marketplaces, so that, to them it's enough. Oddly, Thais have nearly no nut types (no double entendre intended). and no nut butters (other than crisco type commercial peanut butter in super stores).

'And you're confident that what you are growing is a "Berthollentia Excellsa? Original Brazil nut tree.? If so please contact

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_nut

http://www.nybg.org/bsci/braznut/

http://www.rain-tree.com/brazilnu.htm

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Brazil_nut_...lletia_excelsa)

and correct them. There is a similar tree called the Jelly nut tree grown in Issan and China. Not Knocking you, could be something new. OLA!...Imagine Thai and Brazilian girls over here? Jeepers...Thailand...the new hub of booty. :D:o

I'll have to order a turbo for my pacemaker. ....or not......got the teeshirt.

Regards

'And you're confident that what you are growing is a "Berthollentia Excellsa? Original Brazil nut tree.?

I think you have a point there. After posting, I looked up brazil nut online. The photos of the Excelsa in particular indicated that I don't have the real deal growing in my small orchard. It's apparently a closely related tree. So now, am not sure which variation I have. Darn.

If anyone with T.Visa forum has a real Brazil nut tree, perhaps I could get scions from it - to try grafting on to the trees I currently have.

• 9 months later...

I would like to grow some macadamia trees and would like to know how to start/ availability in Thailand.

Thanks, Mike

<br />
'And you're confident that what you are growing is a "Berthollentia Excellsa? Original Brazil nut tree.?
<br />I think you have a point there. After posting, I looked up brazil nut online. The photos of the Excelsa in particular indicated that I don't have the real deal growing in my small orchard. It's apparently a closely related tree. So now, am not sure which variation I have. Darn. <br /><br />If anyone with T.Visa forum has a real Brazil nut tree, perhaps I could get scions from it - to try grafting on to the trees I currently have.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

good luck with the figs

my father was a local 'expert' re fig-growing, sadly none of his expertise passed on to me - we were coastal NZ, the figs trees (sorry don't know species) thrived in very loose, sandy soil within 200m of the sea, and he never ahd to use any sprays, just his home made stinky liquid fertilser, and netting for the birds.

When i moved to Wellington - on the Cook Strait coast so again exposed to salt spray I got plants from him and they did very well, good stock from hardy parents. The area had many of the old Italian and Greek migrant family descendants and quite often they had fig trees growing either in large tubs or gardens.

The climate in CR would be totally different (I doubt you get many westerly winds carrying salt spray!) - keep us posted! I'm Phuket now but we're likely shifting to the farm in Sa Kaeo area in April and I'll be looking at what i can grow there. Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Can you give me address and/or telephone of this farmer ? I have been trying to grow figs from seeds, but up to now still no success

Kind regards,

Leo.

My wife wants to grow figs and has bought a variety of species to start. She read about a Thai farmer growing figs commercially, with some success, so we went to visit him in Pichit a couple of weeks ago. He said his best success comes from grafting his various fruit species on to local species fig tree, and I noticed almost all his rees were growing under plastic to ward off birds and excessive moisture.

i just re read thru al the posts: first, 30 000 thai work in israel and are exposed to all those wonderful fruits and trees but havent a clue as to how to grow them in thailand (i knew someone that tried to put avocado baby trees and cherry trees in his suitcase. they didnt make it thru ben gurion airport...

have yet to meet any thai here that will willingly eat an olive of any sort or type except for my husband, who also knows how to pickle them for eating...

figs grow everywhere here, but thais like them unripe (as they seem to like any other normal fruit from peach to apples: tart and hard, not soft, sweet and mushy)...

avodocos-- not one thai here seems to like them much, including the guys that pick the things.. but when theyd o eat them, of course, its whent hey are rock hard and slightly bitter inside (we have ettinger and some others).

for the guy who wanted olives: people here plant small seedling olive trees not for themselves but for their grandkids.

the figs i know and see here (everywhere, kind of like weeds actually) self seed, dont like wet feet and birds love to eat the almost toatlly ripe fruit before u can get to it. also has worms in side. when opening, u have to first look to see what lives in the fig (or shut your eyes and enjoy the taste with or without worm).

u would think however that for such a large group of foreign workers working in farms with these trees/fruits, someone would have started a business , but apart from the cherry tomato and cuncumber and corn , thais dont seem too interested. (husband worked with ponmegranites, cherries, wine grapes (we have a whole group woring iwth our own wine grape vineyard, and they do get educated about what they are doing, they dont just plant and pick. but most dont really care either and prefer to just plant or pick.

bina

israel

• 2 months later...
Can you give me address and/or telephone of this farmer ? I have been trying to grow figs from seeds, but up to now still no success

Kind regards,

Leo.

I love figs. Used to make fig jam in my aunts house in the Toscana.

Brought some trees to my farm in Nakhon Sawan. They all died in the big flood about 10 years ago. As did my Olive tree, and my coffee trees, and 300 mango trees and.....5'000 fish swam awai.

Got a small fig tree in BKK a few months ago. It's now in a big pot on my balcony in Phuket. Looking healthy, but not growing any more.

Here is an address, where they sell fig trees:

Sukhothai Garden: Mai Phoethong Village, TB Baan Namphu, Khiri Mat, Sukothai

email: [email protected]

http//therafig.spaces.live.com

08-9790-1057

Good luck

Chris

• 1 year later...

I dwell in Chaiyaphum province. my wife and I have a 5 rai area we've fenced, cleaned and cleared. we want it to be a sacred garden where we can retreat to, even a small cabin for overnight stays. I located the center point, near enough, and ordered sapling of the Bhudda Tree--a fig specie actually--name Pho Si Maha Pho. Anyone have experience with this tree? I will need to learn how to steward it's health and growth.

This center point tree will have a Bhudda and other appropriate sacred ornaments. My vision is to start with a small Bhudda to match the sapling size, then periodically over the years, change over to a larger one, etc.

As for farming the property, I envision mostly orcharding. I love the Thai farming landscape! I will probably be a regular contributor here along the way. Also, to seek experienced advice!

• 1 month later...