Advice Re Australia Consular Presence

PostmanPat

Hi Everyone,

I m British, but invited to Aus with my Thai partner for Christmas. Now I m well aware of how to push the correct buttons to try for visas for people who need them (My partners been to UK with me), but as a first point of contact, eg, to get the application forms etc, is there any form of Australian Consular presence in Chiang Mai where I can go down to pick up the forms, get initial guidance etc....or, is everything Australian only in Bangkok?

Also, if anyone has the contact phone numbers, either here, or in Bangkok that would be helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Good luck Postman Pat. I'm British and tried to take my Thai girlfriend on a 3 week trip to visit my sister in Brisbane, Auntie in Sydney, and friends 'n' relatives in Melbourne. At the time I had a business in Bkk, and had been living with my girlfriend for 2 years in a nice condo. I thought we over-prepared for this if anything, and had a pile of documents to support the application, including the full names and addresses of all those who we were about to visit should they be called on for verification. We did of course include all the usual snap shots taken over the past couple of years that they seem to like.

My girlfriend at the time was a full time student at a reputable private university in Bkk, and she also produced letters of conformation and character from her professors. From my part as a businessman, I was to fund the short trip and so provided current bank statements to support the application.

Sadly, the case worker declined her flat out and told us there was no right of appeal because I was not of Australian origin. They never asked to see me or even talk to me on the phone. It was almost as if i wasn't part of the application. Anyway, they thanked her for the non refundable fee and in return placed a little red stamp in her shiny new passport to let any other embassy know that the Australians had declined her visa application. Below is a snippet of the Visa refusal.

In your situation I am not satisfied that you are in gainful employment (she's a full-time student!), have independent funds of your own (application already stated I was funding the entire trip) or have personal or other commitments that would induce you to return to your country of usual residence (Thailand) (she's a full-time student!),. I am also not satisfied from your personal situation that you will abide by the conditions of your Visa. Therefore I am not satisfied that your expressed intention only to visit Australia is genuine.

Reading the above, it sounds like they're calling her a liar, and me a people smuggler if I'm to return to my then business in Bkk without her!

So that was that really. Hadn't seen my sister for a good few years, and the others for even longer, but I cancelled the trip and flew my princess to HK instead. I did call the embassy and ask to speak to someone higher up the ladder of authority. I eventually got this Aussie bloke on the line who just said; Arrrrr mate, look, I don't get involved with case workers decisions. They're trained to watch out for dodgy applications, and to be honest, bloody uni students give us the biggest headache. Naar mate, case worker's decisions are are always final unless an appeal is lodged by an Australian citizen. Why don't you take her somewhere more local? Get her a few stamps from neighbouring countries first, then you might have better luck next time.

It was a bit annoying because we saw 2 older guys happily picking up visas for their gals on the same day, one of which had a skirt right up to her arse cheeks, monster tattoo across the small of her back and a mouthful of chewing gum as she excitedly thanked the case worker for her VISA.

The reason I'm digging this up again Pat, is because whatever we did, we did something wrong, and so if there is anyone here that can help you compile the perfect application, then take heed.

Good luck mate

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Hi Everyone,

I m British, but invited to Aus with my Thai partner for Christmas. Now I m well aware of how to push the correct buttons to try for visas for people who need them (My partners been to UK with me), but as a first point of contact, eg, to get the application forms etc, is there any form of Australian Consular presence in Chiang Mai where I can go down to pick up the forms, get initial guidance etc....or, is everything Australian only in Bangkok?

Also, if anyone has the contact phone numbers, either here, or in Bangkok that would be helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I rang the Honarary Aus Consul some weeks ago when I thought I may need a visa for my wife. The gentleman , forget his name, was very helpfull and gave me this number...053 202 225. Apparently they can process here in CM. Hope this helps .Perhaps you could post results of conversation/progress .

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Postman Pat, All the necessary forms can be downloaded from the website of the Australian Dept. of Immigration.

I wish you luck as they will make it very hard for you. I am Australian and to get my Thai girlfriend (now wife) a visa i had to provide evidence of income (mine and hers) and sign a stat.dec. that i would take care of every possible expense. We provided everything they required and more and they still knocked our application back.

We re-applied with all the same documents but added a letter of guarantee which i set out as a numbered list of guarantees e.g. 1/ I guarantee to pay all medical costs of the applicant should medical treatment be required during the applicants time in Australia. 2/ I guarantee to provide and pay for all travel and accommodation expenses related to the applicants visit to Australia.--- The list of guarantees goes on but i am sure you get the picture.

Only after including this letter of guarantee was the application successful.Bear in mind that i am Australian and was fully employed and living in Australia at the time.

As you are British i really think you will be lucky if they grant a visa for your partner but nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck

There is an Australian Visa office here in Chiangmai Tel 053-202-225 up to 229. Application forms in both Thai and English are available at the visa office or can be down loaded at http://www.immi.gov.au/

In addition to all the other documents to support her application I strongly suggest that your GF get a letter from her employer confirming that she works there and that she expected to be back at work after her holiday in Australia. The fact that she has already travelled overseas and returned to Thailand is a strong plus.

Good luck to the two of you.

Anyway, they thanked her for the non refundable fee and in return placed a little red stamp in her shiny new passport to let any other embassy know that the Australians had declined her visa application.

Aitch

What is the point of doing this? Why do they want other embassies to know that they have rejected her application?

It's none of their business if your GF later applies for a visa for any of the 200 countries left in the world. I don't get it.

Anyway, they thanked her for the non refundable fee and in return placed a little red stamp in her shiny new passport to let any other embassy know that the Australians had declined her visa application.

Aitch

What is the point of doing this? Why do they want other embassies to know that they have rejected her application?

It's none of their business if your GF later applies for a visa for any of the 200 countries left in the world. I don't get it.

They get a kick out of it. It's called really rubbing your nose in it. The whole thing is a sick procedure, australia, UK, US, the europe shenzen thing too.

They are becoming closed shops to the 'wrong' kind of people these countries. Shameful really.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot in advance.

I rang the Honarary Aus Consul some weeks ago when I thought I may need a visa for my wife. The gentleman , forget his name, was very helpfull and gave me this number...053 202 225. Apparently they can process here in CM. Hope this helps .Perhaps you could post results of conversation/progress .

"forget his name" Michael Waters

No need to bother the Honorary Consul. He may help you, but he has his real job to take care of too. Visa applications are all handled now by VFS in Bangkok, you can get the forms and instructions from their web site and hand all the forms, cheques and passport in to the listed couriers office near Hang Dong and they will send it down to Bangkok and back.

VFSThailand http://www.vfs-au.net/

Courier Office Chiang Mai

PIONEER CARGO SERVICES CO.,LTD.

55 Chiangmai-Hod Road ,KM 5.5, T.Suthep,

A.Muang Chiangmai 50000

Tel: (66) (053) 202-225, 433668

Fax: (66) (053) 202-231

Contact person : Khun Bongkoch Ext : 26

No need to bother the Honorary Consul. He may help you, but he has his real job to take care of too. Visa applications are all handled now by VFS in Bangkok, you can get the forms and instructions from their web site and hand all the forms, cheques and passport in to the listed couriers office near Hang Dong and they will send it down to Bangkok and back.

VFSThailand http://www.vfs-au.net/

Courier Office Chiang Mai

PIONEER CARGO SERVICES CO.,LTD.

55 Chiangmai-Hod Road ,KM 5.5, T.Suthep,

A.Muang Chiangmai 50000

Tel: (66) (053) 202-225, 433668

Fax: (66) (053) 202-231

Contact person : Khun Bongkoch Ext : 26

I didnt suggest he worry the Consul thats why I listed the phone number he gave me here in Chiang Mai

Michael Walther.

Michael Walther.

Thank you sir! :o

I was sure that it was Michael and that his surname started with "W"