2009 Honda Civic Navi

CDNinKS

Ok, the unit in the trunk has a silver sticker on the side which I assume is a seal. Well that didn't stop me, I peeled it off and that allows you to open the little door. Inside is an SD card. In the onscreen menu you can find that the unit has 2 maps loaded, the Thailand map and a HONDA map. I am now wondering if the SD card is that HONDA map. The menu also allows you to enable or disable either of the maps. The Garmin website will sell you an Southeast Asia card (english) for about $150.00.

My guess is that you will be able to replace the SD card with the one from Garmin and then the unit will be entirely in Thai........any takers on that?

On a side note, have just returned from some extensive touring of the country and can report that it is quite easy to get 40 MPG (Imperial gallon) on the hiway (120km/h).........pretty good by me.

If the gps unit has a sd card slot you can put any map you like on the sd card,with unlock code of course,and the gps will read it.

these things get side sois and streets right too?

Well I haven't seen the Garmin version yet, but NOKIA MAPS on my phone is incredibly accurate and I assume they are all based on the same source.

My guess is that you will be able to replace the SD card with the one from Garmin and then the unit will be entirely in Thai........any takers on that?

DUH, should read .......unit will be entirely in ENGLISH.......

Edited by CDNinKS

Hi CDNinKS

Congrats to your new Civic and I hope you enjoy it a lot.

As for the tires, very good choice.

I totally forgot about Yokohama until you mentioned :)

I was reading in a nother post that Hondas Service center can upload/update Garmin.

Hoiw they do it is still a miracle for me.

Took delivery on April 10. The total cost to upgrade from 16 inch to 17 inch wheels and tires turned out to be about 30,000 Baht. Was worth it in my opinion, really makes the car look totally different. I went for Yokohama tires over the Bridgestone on a few recommendations, seem very good so far.

The GPS is in fact as Braverrouge quoted. All menus, voice, etc are in English, however the street, town names are all in Thai. Not really a problem for me as my GF can translate as needed. I am still trying to find out how to update the software however. There must be a card slot somewhere as if you look thru the GPS files, you find that HONDA has loaded all the Honda dealers locations on a separate card. As this is Garmin based there must be a way to load the English version of the Thai maps from Garmin.

I will keep working on finding how to do this as I want the Malaysian and Singapore maps as well.

OK, here are the facts re changing the GPS map to English.

Crack the silver foil seal on the back box in the trunk. Open the door (flip up) press and remove the SD card. Insert the Garmin City Navigator Southeast Asia V3.0 SD card. Thats it!!

Now you have all of South East Asia, including Malaysia and Singapore. All of the locations are searchable in English and street names are in English. There is still some Thai on the map as well.

I will say that it does not seem quite as detailed as the Nokia Maps on my phone, but still a whole lot more usable than the Thai version.

If anyone wants to know where I got the Garmin City Navigator Southeast Asia V3.0 SD card, PM me.