Internet Security

TizMe

I have always practiced "safe surfing". I always run with AV and Firewalls. Currently I am using AVG Free Edition and Zone Alarm.

I ran the test to see if my DSO had been comprimised and this passed OK, so I was fairly happy that my PC was secure.

However, I just visited the Shields Up site to verify my security.

My machine passed all tests except for one.

Port 5000 - UPnP -  OPEN! 

Universal Plug'n'Play is Microsoft's new protocol for allowing PCs to automatically discover and control a wide range of locally networked peripherals. This powerful protocol is likely to expose the user's machine to many clever remote security exploits and vulnerabilities. And, unfortunately, Microsoft has enabled this insecure protocol by default -- even if your system doesn't need or use it. You can easily disable this with our free UnPlug n' Pray utility.

So it might be worth you checking your PC even if you think you have all the bases covered.

hi'

right tiz, everyone should go to steve gibson's site and download this small utility calles Unp and pray, with this you can disable the service completly :o

file name : unpnp.exe (steve gibson research)

this solves the problem :D

here you'll find all utils to secure XP :

Utilities from Steve Gibson

francois

Edited by francois

hi'

right tiz, everyone should go to steve gibson's site and download this small utility calles Unp and pray, with this you can disable the service completly :o

file name : unpnp.exe (steve gibson research)

this solves the problem :D

here you'll find all utils to secure XP :

Utilities from Steve Gibson

francois

...or you can go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ Services and change it there to "disabled".

My pc showed "stealth" mode for Port 5000.

Not sure if that is pc settings or the router I have for broadband, where I closed most doors.

I had it showing running just the FW in the router, but when I ran zonealarm pro on high/high, there was nothing showing.

cv