Oyster Sauce

bvz

I'm planning to spend my vacation in Thailand.

I loved to eat all sorts of thai food until I became allergic to some of the shell fish (mussels and oysters so far...). Now every time I order something, I ask ten times if it doesn't include oyster sauce.

I want to try the local food while being there, but I'm afraid I'll be wondering every time if it's safe for me to eat it :D .

My question would be: how often is oyster sauce used in thai food and what most common dishes don't include it?

I'll appreaciate your help :o

If you have an allergy to seafood or peanuts or whatever you are in big trouble at most places because they dont clean things between meals. You always know what the last guy ate when you get your meal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bvz

by default, most curries and soups do not contain oyster sauce. they will have 'nam pla' (fish sauce) though

for instance, apart from curries you can also get tom yum, or 'kaeng jued' but as said, both will have fish sauce.

you can however ask them to put no nam pla, and request for 'see ew' instead (soy sauce)

most greens/vegies/meat stir fries will have oyster sauce AND nam pla added to them

• 3 weeks later...