Please Help

Bonypart

I emigrated from the UK to France two years ago having enjoyed Chinese food for the most part of my life. Where I live in France there are only Thai Restaurants and I visit them often but I miss one aspect and with the exception of one dish I have been unable to find an equivalent.

Caramalised Pork is usually served with a thick sauce but, at one famous local Restaurant the sauce was thin, almost watery and when I asked why the Chef told me that if he was to serve it thick the sauce would break the 'plate'. The plate being the pot or method in which he had cooked it in. This completely confused me as I have been able to enjoy thick sauce from another restaurant.

Forgive me but when I ate Chinese food in the UK there were many, many dishes served with a thick sauce. Sweet and sour Chicken, Sweet and sour Pork, Black Oyster sauce dishes etc..

I have a penchant (obviously) for thick sauce so can anyone please suggest what dishes in a Thai Restaurant are served in this way?

Many thanks.

Chinese way to thicken the sauce.

Get a small bowl and stir a tablespoon of corn flour into some water till all the flour is melted.

Heat up the sauce in a wok on medium flame until it begins to simmer, then make the flame low. Slowly pour in the flour/water mix into the simmering sauce, while stirring the sauce to the thickness desired. Then pour the thicken sauce on to the meat.

Edited by trogers

Get a small bowl and stir a tablespoon of corn flour into some water till all the flour is melted.

Heat up the sauce in a wok on medium flame until it begins to simmer, then make the flame low. Slowly pour in the flour/water mix into the simmering sauce, while stirring the sauce to the thickness desired. Then pour the thicken sauce on to the meat.

Thank you trogers. Perhaps my post was confusing. I am asking what dishes I should look for in a Thai restaurant that includes a thick suace. Not at home

icon1.gif

Thank you trogers. Perhaps my post was confusing. I am asking what dishes I should look for in a Thai restaurant that includes a thick suace. Not at home

icon1.gif

Thick gravy sauce in Thai food is usually found in some noodles dishes (lard nah) and fish maw or sharkfins in nam dang (red sauce). These are dishes learnt from the chinese.

Original Thai dishes do not have thick sauce poured over meat or seafood.

The other dishes that you can consider relative thick gravy will be the red or green curries, thickened by using coconut milk.

Edited by trogers

I have mentioned before on this forum about a Mussaman Curry I used to eat in Thailand. This lady....a street vendor only used to make it on Sundays for some reason. She used to laugh when she saw me religiously turn up at hers for my 'Sunday Dinner'. It was the closest Thai meal I think I ate to an Indian Curry found in a UK restaurant. The sauce was pretty thick. It was heaven on a plate. Would one of your local Thai restaurants make such a nice Mussaman.....? I visited a Thai restaurant recently in the UK.....there aren't many close to where I live.....and I found the Curries the owner made much sweeter than what I remember in Thailand. I think I am quite sensitive to this as I havn't a sweet tooth and rarely eat desert even. I spoke to the Thai restauranteer about this and she said that I was so untypical of Europeans who she claimed like sweetness. I am not sure she is 100% correct here. Her Jungle Curry was nicer....I don't suppose she could make that so sweet. Sorry I digressed a little.

Oh yes.....Penang Curry should have a think sauce too.

Edited by Hadrian1