Blackberry " Storm" Smartphone 9350

ZinRinoa

I just would like to make sure whether i can use blackberry Storm in BKK.

I am now visiting in US and I am going to buy it in coming weeks and planing to stay back in Bangkok.

All I know is i need to unlock this phone in US if I would like to use it out of US..but with Thai SIM card for sure.

But i would like to use it in BKK right away after buying in here?

So can i unlock in AIS rather than in US Or should I have to make unlocked in US only?

Moreover, I would like to know what kinds of services available for this model in AIS.

Thanks alot for explaining to me..It would be so helpful for me. I am dying to buy this one.

regards

Ze

Edited by ZinRinoa

You might want to call AIS to ask if you can use that model. It does operate on all 4 bands of GSM. You should get it unlocked in the US if you can. Probably easy to do in Thailand, but you never know.

Blackberries aren't like other phones. The network has to support some of the services, or they won't work. It's not a matter of just changing settings. The service books for the Storm may not be available through AIS. If they didn't have them, you'd get phone and sms, but maybe not the internet browser and email.

I used an unlocked 8320 Curve with an AIS sim and the browser worked and I could also use the connection to browse the internet on my laptop computer. Did not try to set up email since it's on my provicer in the US. But AIS offers that model so the service books downloaded automatically.

But, perhaps as long as they support BBs, any model will work. Not sure of that. Maybe you can ask AIS and the place where you buy it. Basically ask where you buy it if you can use it overseas and get all the features.

Thanks alot for answering me right away...it was really useful...I'll follow up as you suggested.

Regards,

Ze

You might want to call AIS to ask if you can use that model. It does operate on all 4 bands of GSM. You should get it unlocked in the US if you can. Probably easy to do in Thailand, but you never know.

Blackberries aren't like other phones. The network has to support some of the services, or they won't work. It's not a matter of just changing settings. The service books for the Storm may not be available through AIS. If they didn't have them, you'd get phone and sms, but maybe not the internet browser and email.

I used an unlocked 8320 Curve with an AIS sim and the browser worked and I could also use the connection to browse the internet on my laptop computer. Did not try to set up email since it's on my provicer in the US. But AIS offers that model so the service books downloaded automatically.

But, perhaps as long as they support BBs, any model will work. Not sure of that. Maybe you can ask AIS and the place where you buy it. Basically ask where you buy it if you can use it overseas and get all the features.

Thanks alot for answering me right away...it was really useful...I'll follow up as you suggested.

Regards,

Ze

I checked blackberryforums.com, where I post a lot, and some people are using them on other carriers. However, the service books are an issue. Although it seems like mail works ok, just maybe the browser or GPS related ones may not install. Was hard to figure out exactly what ones were installed automatically.

Some people have installed some manually. Other people have had the service books installed by activating on Verizon, then they're still there when the activate on another carrier.

Oh if you get it, make sure you upgrade the OS. The original one was not good at all. They've steadily released many improvements since then.

I switched from a Palm Treo 650 to an iPhone awhile back (using with AIS) and although I am quite fond of the iPhone (especially with some good apps installed), it isn't really satisfying me as a replacement for the Palm's "real" keyboard for texting. So I'm now thinking about getting an AIS Blackberry for my business phone. I don't want to go back to Palm.

Carmine6 .... I'm assuming you have a Blackberry and are using it in Bangkok. Is there any advice you would give me before taking the plunge and buying one. I think I need the Blackberry Bold.

I was in meeting this morning with someone who told me the Storm 9530 was sold only to Verizon and he had sent his back to the US to his daughter because he couldn't unlock deep enough to remove some Verizon functions. Now he has the UK version and it it works fine.

I was in meeting this morning with someone who told me the Storm 9530 was sold only to Verizon and he had sent his back to the US to his daughter because he couldn't unlock deep enough to remove some Verizon functions. Now he has the UK version and it it works fine.

That is actually my experience too. Tried since nearly 2 months to get a Verizon Storm 9530 working here. Can make calls and send SMS, but can't register to BIS. Tried to manually copy Service books, still no go. Discussed with many pros which tried to help me, no way to go.

Have also e.g. Vodafone Storm 9500 here, never had any issue with them.

Just Verizon is an issue ... and yeah, I talked several times to the AIS Blackberry Engineers as well.

No way so far for Verzion Storm 9530 in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting - so email on the BB doesn't work unless the network supports it explicitly? That seems pretty weird to me, what if you are in another country and/or using another SIM card... can't you just use normal internet to get your emails? If not would be a clear dealbreaker for me, I mean, it's email, it should work on any internet connection....

Interesting - so email on the BB doesn't work unless the network supports it explicitly? That seems pretty weird to me, what if you are in another country and/or using another SIM card... can't you just use normal internet to get your emails? If not would be a clear dealbreaker for me, I mean, it's email, it should work on any internet connection....

I don't use blackberry's, but would assume it would support regular POP e-mail, regardless of where you are or what provider you use (must have gprs though), it's probably for the push mail the provider/network need explicit support.

That's the main selling point of a blackberry anyway, you receive your e-mails instantly, much the same way you receive SMS messages instantly....