Chiang Mai To Siem Reap?

hannabee

I am trying to figure out how to go to Siem Reap for a visa run. Flying is out of the question because of the price and I keep hearing all these things about mini bus scams. I want to stay in Cambodia for a couple days, take advantage of the visa run. Does anyone know how to get there? Thanks.

"Confucius say walk.... and when your sick of walking, piss in ya shoe and swim" !!!

couldn't resist.

I did the loop CM Siem Reip, PP, Sihonukville etc in '98. The 137km road from Poipet to SR took 14 hrs. I gather the road has improved since.

I am trying to figure out how to go to Siem Reap for a visa run. Flying is out of the question because of the price and I keep hearing all these things about mini bus scams. I want to stay in Cambodia for a couple days, take advantage of the visa run. Does anyone know how to get there? Thanks.

could be wrong but i don't think there's a thai embassy in siem reap. or do you already have a non-immigrant visa?

just got back from phnom penh and sihanoukville. had a good time. pp is looking up. sihanoukville is fun if you rent a motorbike and visit the area.

It's not very easy to get there from CM, you'd probably have to get a bus via Khon Kaen or Udon Thani.

If you want to go via Bangkok there's plenty of useful information on Tales of Asia - www dot talesofasia dot com/cambodia-overland.htm, including how to avoid the minibus scams you mention.

"Confucius say walk.... and when your sick of walking, piss in ya shoe and swim" !!!

couldn't resist.

I did the loop CM Siem Reip, PP, Sihonukville etc in '98. The 137km road from Poipet to SR took 14 hrs. I gather the road has improved since.

Yes. Shocking road it was back then. We got there in 12! Haven't dared do it since!!!

It's not very easy to get there from CM, you'd probably have to get a bus via Khon Kaen or Udon Thani.

Why on earth would you want to go to Udon Thani? It's in the other direction. Straight down the main highway to Bangkok, and take the Saraburi turn off. Coming out of Saraburi head down the main road to Sa Keaw and onto the border at Arunyaprathet.

I was all set to drive there a few years ago, and made the trip in July. It wasn't untill we had done all the paperwork for my vehicle, that the soldiers stationed on the border strongly advised us not to make the drive to Siem Reap. There had been a lot of rain, and they had found several plastic land mines that had "floated" onto the main road. :o If you are going......do it now before the rains set in. Not because of the possibility of mines, but the road turns to shit in the rains. Have a good trip.