Certificate Of Origin / Form Tex

julesdick

(Posted in Chiang Mai forum as interested in their issuing procedures in particular)

A Thai friend has been regularly sending a couple of boxes of Thai-made clothes with UPS to the UK. Various UPS staff have told her she needs to have what they call 'Certificate Tex Thai' (2500 baht each time) but she has insisted on having a plain 'Certificate of Origin' (1500 baht) which has caused no problems so far.

Anyone know the difference?

Also, anyone know the procedure for getting these certificates? - does one of the UPS staff simply go the Government office, wait n a queue, then get some form signed? Can it only be arranged by the freight agent or can my friend arrange it?

This time she assumed they would do the same as before (1500) but they've now sent her an invoice for the 2500 Tex Thai plus a 'formality' charge of 500B.

Any experience appreciated.

Thanks

JD

Edited by julesdick

Your best bet would be to get hold of UPS in the UK or any of the other carriers and ask them what is required to import into UK.

Exporting into USA, I always get a c/o form and it costs me 300Bt (that is through UPS)

It seems they are telling you that you need a certificate for textiles (maybe that is something that replaced the old quota system for clothing).