Customs And Traditions On Thai And Falang Wedding

riceman09

sin sod has nothing to do with buying your wife.

For many of us, sin-sot is exactly that - buying a wife, however temporary she may be.

The only exception I would have is if she has not married before.

Any woman who has married once, her parents have been 'paid' why should they treat their daughters like a commodity on the market? Think how many times they can sell their daughter.

If she has nothing from a first marriage, like a house or land, then she has problems and maybe unworthy of a second payment.

IMHO

You can own the house??? get real mate, yes u can have your name in the book but u have no rights my freind! oh dear i hope u knew that!
Yes a farang can own a house legally in Thailand. A English guy, near to where I live, bulldozed his house after splitting with his wife. Police took no action because he had the house in his name. Sorry to disappoint you BygonKeow, you're wrong in your assumptions. And by having you name in the book you do own something in Thailand. Contrary to your statement that everything has to be in the wifes name.

reason for edit...............

Ok yes your right coventry a farang can have a house in his name but not own the land. I forgot sorry.

I think its a 30 year renewable lease on the house also unless the law has changed.

my apoligies

You can own a house but not the land. You need to have a long term lease or usufruct agreement on the land. I think most land offices will refuse to issue a new title deed for an existing house which they have already registered as part of the value of the land. But you can apply for a title deed for a new house and get a yellow tabian baan. If you demolish the house, you have to report that to the amphur and the land office. If you pay for land in your wife's name, try to get a life time usufruct agreement from her. This means you can enjoy the use of the land for your lifetime, even if your wife predeceases you. You can include a clause giving you the right to rent it out too and can do this on a 30 year lease which should remain valid, even if you die. Very importantly, a usufruct agreement or a 30 year rental agreement registered on the title deed will prevent your wife from succumbing to pressure from family to mortgage or sell the land, as no one will want with usufruct or long term lease attached. Unfortunately many Thai women with foreign husbands use hubby's money to buy a house with land and then put it in hock without informing their husbands.

You can own the house??? get real mate, yes u can have your name in the book but u have no rights my freind! oh dear i hope u knew that!
Yes a farang can own a house legally in Thailand. A English guy, near to where I live, bulldozed his house after splitting with his wife. Police took no action because he had the house in his name. Sorry to disappoint you BygonKeow, you're wrong in your assumptions. And by having you name in the book you do own something in Thailand. Contrary to your statement that everything has to be in the wifes name.

Unfortunately many Thai women with foreign husbands use hubby's money to buy a house with land and then put it in hock without informing their husbands.

Please support your statement with some statistics? I can`t seem to find any. Certainly in the years I have been here it has not happened to myself or to any of my other foreign freinds.

Perhaps it only happens in your circle. :o

just bare in mind in thaiand everything is your wifes!
Only if you allow it to be. The Yellow book allows you to have the house and car in your name. The land, just lease it in your name. Nothing has to be in the wifes name.

No need to get married to buy a car or a house a single man can do both.

Unfortunately many Thai women with foreign husbands use hubby's money to buy a house with land and then put it in hock without informing their husbands.

[/b]

Please support your statement with some statistics? I can`t seem to find any. Certainly in the years I have been here it has not happened to myself or to any of my other foreign freinds.

Perhaps it only happens in your circle. :o

I'll support Arkady. It is a common occurance. They get bank loans out on the land they live on to either finance a gambling habit or to buy gold or land for farming. They think that one of the 3 is more productive than sitting on land with an house on it.

"Perhaps it only happens in your circle" ? Rest assured Phatcharanan it's happening in your circle. Only thing is you're ignorant of it.

• 4 months later...
Just out of interest how much have u guys paided sinsod?? just so the OP gets a idea and not scammed i guess!

Also i wouldnt mind finding out to.

I am getting married in October and my future in laws are asking for TB300, 000 !! They live in a small village near Korat and she has been married previously but no kids. If you are being asked to pay this amount STOP. Dont pay it, I told my missus to be that its way too much. I will pay about 40, 000 to honour her culture but the whole 'this guy is white and therefore must be rich' seems to have clouded her families judgement. I guess they quickly forget about the £1000 in flights, £800 for the visa etc... greedy buggers ;p

i paid 100,000 baht sin sod...think thats the going rate,,and anyway im not loaded by anymeans but its just 2 grand uk so why all the crying,,if it makes ur wife happy at the ime then just hand it over without wingeing about it...thais pay it so why shouldnt we....

Sin-sod will be 1MB. I don’t own any gold and I don’t wish to buy any for a wedding just to sell it again.

I’ll provide the 1MB according to tradition. My girlfriend’s family will add any gold according to tradition and the amount they feel is necessary.

I’ll get the 1MB back. We are going to be given land in BKK to build a house on. We might (not confirmed yet) get some cash to assist with the house build.

An engagement ceremony will be held at a hotel of her choice a few months before we have our wedding party, her father will cover all costs of the engagement ceremony.

It’s going to be a combination of a Thai/western wedding party, or what might be called a cocktail party with a few speeches and what I hope will be a cracking after party.

I’ll wear a western style suit, I’m not Thai I’m British. ‘She’ will wear her style of wedding dress (western style I believe - I’ll have no idea until I see it on the day).

The wedding reception / function is at a hotel of her choosing and its her dream location. I’m fine with that as we will probably profit from the wedding party (guests give a donation).

We will both get life insurance, we will both make a will, we will arrange a 30 year lease (which is for me). We are both smart, practical, realistic and very equal.

We will enjoy our life without any of the paranoia that I see so often on this forum. I doubt I would be doing things with much of a different attitude if I were in the UK marrying a British lady.

Hi everyone' my first post, i have found TV is a great place to get more educated and insight on Thai culture. Cheers

I went to my Gf brothers wedding a while back' down Surin way on the Cambodian border, it started with a party (2 days) at the grooms house while alll the family and friends help prepare the food that was distributed to all those who were on a list throughout the village they would come to the house when they were summoned and pick up their little bag of goodies' we butchered 4 pigs and although i don't drink that much anymore i have never seen so many boxes of whisky at a party in my life. :)

The brides family were doing the same over their side of the village, on the wedding day in the mornings silence the wedding tune belted out the sound system instead of the usuall Thai pop and country numbers, later that morning we made presession down to the brides family house on the back of our tractors and presented gifts before we were let through the gate to her fathers house (bunch of coconuts, cooked pig head, rice whisky and some other stuff) the Sin sot was then all checked off on a list as it was given over (pre arranged at some other time) i think all the names of people recieving food on that list as-well and also the gold (tong mun) for the bride to wear, some seroius bling !!! at least 5 ounce gold chain that would make any gangster look like a pee wee. All the elders in the family of the groom were involved in this kneeling before the other family doing business.

Then the ceremoney, the cord around their heads that joined them for the reading of some matrimonial stuff that seemed to go on for ages and then placing the string and money on their rists. Party again for the rest of the day and night at the two house holds.

I talked to my Gf about Sin sot she say i have to play' the Thai way, and it will not be given back but go to the sisters and her grandparents (both her parents have gone to the big temple in the sky already) when i ask how much, she said it was up to my mother how much she want to offer. All her friends i have seen married to Thai guys all got paid Sin sot and that is not just in her provence but up north as well.