Cm To Laos...

Niloc

I want to take my wife to Laos for a brief holiday but I am not too sure of the best way to go, we could take a bus to UT and then to Nong Khai but I would rather take a train. Is it possible to take a train from CM to Nong Khai without going via BKK?

Maybe it would be easier to fly CM to UT and then catch the bus to NK then the train across the Mekong and bus to Vientiane.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Vientiane mid range, also in Luang Prabang,

Thanks,

Colin

If you take the Train it looks like you have to go to Bangkok (or close to it) to get to Nong Khai http://www.seat61.com/Map-SEAsia.htm

By bus it sounds like a less than enjoyable way to start a vacation.

If you are going to Luang Prabang and Vientiane You may want to consider taking Lao Air. They Fly Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang - Vientiane.

I have never stayed over in Luang Prabang but I highly recommend the Laos Orchid http://www.lao-orchid.com/ in Veintiane it is clean, has a friendly staff and close to the river front.

I want to take my wife to Laos for a brief holiday but I am not too sure of the best way to go, we could take a bus to UT and then to Nong Khai but I would rather take a train. Is it possible to take a train from CM to Nong Khai without going via BKK?

Maybe it would be easier to fly CM to UT and then catch the bus to NK then the train across the Mekong and bus to Vientiane.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Vientiane mid range, also in Luang Prabang,

Thanks,

Colin

there's no train link to udon or nong khai without going via BKK unfortunately.

for a holiday in laos departing from CM you could go up north-east to chiang khong and take the slow boat from there to luang prabang. then from luang prabang fly down to vientiane.

i usually stay in this place in vientiane, it's nice: http://www.laoparishotel.com/

there are no end of guesthouses and hotels you get pitched when you arrive in luang prabang, i can't remember the name of the place i stayed in though. was a nice french colonial villa style place and a double room with aircon and private bathroom was a ridiculously cheap 150 baht a night.

There is no direct train to Nong Khai from C.M. Most buses on that route are miserable. By all means, fly there.

I know I'll probably get some nasty comments for saying this, but I could think of a thousand places I would go on a brief holiday before going to Laos; especially this time of year.

There is no direct train to Nong Khai from C.M. Most buses on that route are miserable. By all means, fly there.

I know I'll probably get some nasty comments for saying this, but I could think of a thousand places I would go on a brief holiday before going to Laos; especially this time of year.

wouldn't say nasty comments but i think it's a lovely place to visit. it's a bit backpackerish yeah but having gone from luang prabang (beautiful place) down to vang vieng for a bit of tubing then off to phonsavan to see the plain of jars and then a few days in vientiane to finish off, i had a smashing two weeks there. plus it's full of great bread, cheese and wine. and opium and mushroom whisky.

wouldn't say nasty comments but i think it's a lovely place to visit. it's a bit backpackerish yeah but having gone from luang prabang (beautiful place) down to vang vieng for a bit of tubing then off to phonsavan to see the plain of jars and then a few days in vientiane to finish off, i had a smashing two weeks there. plus it's full of great bread, cheese and wine. and opium and mushroom whisky.

sounds good to me stevie, is that whisky with mushrooms and opium or opium on its own and then mushroom whisky ?

Edited by malcy

Well we have decided to Drive to the border, park the ute somewhere and either take the bus to Luang Prabang or fly up.

Cannot decide on a hotel in Vientiane, they all seem to want only $US but all I have is THB!!

Thanks everyone...

Colin

All the hotels will Take US$, Thai Baht or Lao Kip.

Well we have decided to Drive to the border, park the ute somewhere and either take the bus to Luang Prabang or fly up.

Cannot decide on a hotel in Vientiane, they all seem to want only $US but all I have is THB!!

Thanks everyone...

Colin

We (hungry hubbie and I) have stayed many times in Vientiane and really like the Riverside hotel; 800 baht, very comfy beds, great shower, and perfect location. There's a vegetarian restaurant up the street that made a sensational chicken, eggplant and Chanterelle mushroom sandwich. Not Disneyland by any means, but Vientiane had great Banh Mi, people watching, beer Lao and never felt unsafe for a second.

There's a vegetarian restaurant up the street that made a sensational chicken, eggplant and Chanterelle mushroom sandwich.

Just down the road from this place is also a bar that does not sell alcohol and a somtham shop that only sells handbags. :o