New Portable Cd Player

joka

hello,

i am looking for a new portable cd player. i tested a few of the off brands, and the quality of sound was pretty poor. and i don't know if the major brands "panasonic, sony" are the real mccoy or not. anybody know where i can look at a good selection, and test them, (robinson wouldn't let me test) or somebody have a good second hand they would like to sell? thanks

I have a Sony bought from a Sony main dealer, cost 20k and it has now stopped working and cannot be repaired.

I also have a Pansonic, cost 10k but it is not very good. Anti shock not very good.

I now have a 2k cheapie which does mp3 as well and is just as good sound quality as the "quality" makes.

hello,

i am looking for a new portable cd player. i tested a few of the off brands, and the quality of sound was pretty poor.  and i don't know if the major brands "panasonic, sony" are the real mccoy or not.  anybody know where i can look at a good selection, and test them, (robinson wouldn't let me test) or somebody have a good second hand they would like to sell?  thanks

The ONLY way to judge this kind of product is to listen to it. I had a Panasonic unit that looked pretty average, was reasonably expensive, but sounded amazing, then Panasonic brought out what was called 'the Cobra' because somehow the Cd bit in the middle raised up like a Cobra , it looked sensational and cost a bomb but did not compare in sound quality with my boring looking unit.

Having said that one possible indication that the unit might be of good design and therefore sound good is the power rating, the only meaningful power rating is 'watts R.M.S.'. 4-5 watts R.M.S. up OK, 10 watts R.M.S. (per channel) excellent for such a unit .

The qualification 'Watts P.M.P.O' is virtually meaningless as you may gather if you see things like 500wtts P.M.P.O. quoted for something that costs 2000bht.

No one intending to sell a product to a serious audiophile would use the rating 'watts P.M.P.O." it is strictly consumer b.s.

Personally if I found a unit that sounded really good I would buy it above brand names.

If you can't find a really good sounding one you will probably better off going for an average sounding unit at a good price, than imagining that a big name sounds better than it does.

By the way never buy a consumer Cd player that changes cds they always go wrong, and are hard to fix, bigger changers that take say 50 cds are OK (different mechanism).

Edited by fisherd3