Second Visit Visa

Hi,

I helped a friend of mine prepare a visit visa for his Thai gf last year which was successful. however, on the application he asked for her to stay for 6 weeks and she ended up staying for 3 months. She was granted 6 months, so technically she did not overstay.

I'm now helping him to prepare another application for visit visa and he's concerned that they might flag up the fact that last time she returned after 3 months when she only asked for 6 weeks.

Should he put something in the cover letter to explain why she stayed longer, or not mention it and hope that no-one asks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

When she left the country after she checked in and cleared security there is sometimes an Immigration Officer who will scan the passport and maybe stamp it, that's embarkation control, that will show when she left the UK. Of course her passport would would be stamped to show her arrival in Thailand which would indicate that she stayed longer than first declared. When she entered the UK did the Immigration Officer stamp her in for six weeks or until the expiry of her visa?

UKBA don't like people staying for longer than the original visa application request, but whilst they may ask awkward questions they may issue a second visa, if everything else is in order, but it's certainly not guaranteed.

Hi,

I helped a friend of mine prepare a visit visa for his Thai gf last year which was successful. however, on the application he asked for her to stay for 6 weeks and she ended up staying for 3 months. She was granted 6 months, so technically she did not overstay.

I'm now helping him to prepare another application for visit visa and he's concerned that they might flag up the fact that last time she returned after 3 months when she only asked for 6 weeks.

Should he put something in the cover letter to explain why she stayed longer, or not mention it and hope that no-one asks.

Thanks

Lee

She's not an overstayer, she hasn't committed any offence, and she left the UK 3 months before she was legally required to do. That's a big plus when making a repeat application.

They may note from the Thai departure and entry stamps in her passport that she was away for 3 months, but unless she's applying less than 6 months since her return to Thailand, I bet they don't bother overmuch to look at her previous application. If her circumstances in Thailand are similar to previous, i.e. she can still show that she's got something to go back to, she's not obliged to offer any explanations up front. If asked, she should be prepared to explain how she can afford to spend 3 months away from whatever occupation she has in Thailand., or why she ended up doing so last time. But there's no need to draw attention to it.

Hi,

Thanks

Lee

She hasn't legally overstayed, just stayed longer than she said she intended to. I would put a brief note in along the lines that she enjoyed it so much she decided to stay a bit longer. Better that she addresses any concern they may have rather than them think she deliberately misled them last time. I'm sure it will be fine.

I agree with eff. No need to draw attention to it. They will know that she stayed for 3 months and returned with no problems, in fact that in itself will ease the 2nd Visitors Application.

Obviously provide extra evidence of continuing relationship plus bank statements etc., to prove she will not be a burden on the State etc., stick to the same format as before and you should have no problems. :o