Car Hire In The Uk

Greenside

Sold my car when I was in England a couple of years ago but now have to spend five weeks there in May/June. Arriving and departing from Heathrow - it's easy to get quotes for renters at the airport but anyone know of some off airport places worth checking out and what I might have to expect to pay per week? The least expensive vehicle is all I need - Fiesta, Clio or similar.

Recently when flying into the UK I've been picking my hire car up at Avis in Oxford, rather than at Heathrow. I almost always have to go to Oxford anyway and the Avis center is right behind Oxford Station.

The advantage is, the prices are considerably lower than at the airport and because their stock of cars is lower you'll often get an upgrade.

One suggestion I have is take out the extra collision insurance, if you've not been driving in the UK for a while it is too easy to get into a shunt.

google europcar uk they are pretty cheap.

Europcar THB 8,534.77 RENAULT CLIO 1.2 from 1/4 - 1/7

vs

Thaivisa Carrentals supplying car from Europcar THB 7,844 RENAULT CLIO 1.2 from 1/4 - 1/7

Thaivisa Car Rentals - get a quote here

vs

Thaivisa Carrentals supplying car from Europcar THB 7,844 RENAULT CLIO 1.2 from 1/4 - 1/7

bazmbl

I just checked your quote for Europcar on this site.

1/4 - 1/7 pick up car from Oxford and the quote without any excess was £1978, that's around 9850 Baht.??? Lump on the excess insurance charge as well and it is going to be much higher.

I think it would be a lot cheaper for the OP to hire car when he is in UK, rather than go through a third party who will take a cut.

From experience I have found the best deals come from smaller companies. There's one that I use every time I go back to the UK and they always seem to offer the best deals - feel free to PM me if you want their email address.

vs

bazmbl

1/4 - 1/7 pick up car from Oxford and the quote without any excess was £1978, that's around 9850 Baht.??? Lump on the excess insurance charge as well and it is going to be much higher.

I think it would be a lot cheaper for the OP to hire car when he is in UK, rather than go through a third party who will take a cut.

I have just done the quote again, note the OP asked for Heathrow not Oxford, still 7844 baht inclusive of insurance, Excess reimbursement insurance is available at £4.50 per day for 6 days. Total cost £27, see the attached pic.

Also the link to the quote is here

post-4090-1237724125_thumb.png

Try holiday Autos , i hired car last year and was told to fill up at a garage before i returned car , i left it to late to fill up and when i got the bill from the car hire company i was shocked , it was aprox 3 times what i would have paid at a garage , so make sure you have a full tank before returning car

www.autoreservation.com

I used this company when I was in UK in 2007.

I booked the cheapest car, Nissan Micra.

The deal was done with Budget. When I got to their depot using the shuttle bus from right outside Terminal 3,

they didn't have a Micra but let me have a brand new Peugeot 307 and knocked another 25 quid off the price.

I ended up paying 10 quid a day + VAT and the original 43 GBP to Autoreservations.

You can do everything over the internet.

BTW I didn't take any extra ins.

www.autoreservation.com

I used this company when I was in UK in 2007.

I booked the cheapest car, Nissan Micra.

The deal was done with Budget. When I got to their depot using the shuttle bus from right outside Terminal 3,

they didn't have a Micra but let me have a brand new Peugeot 307 and knocked another 25 quid off the price.

I ended up paying 10 quid a day + VAT and the original 43 GBP to Autoreservations.

You can do everything over the internet.

BTW I didn't take any extra ins.

I like national and europcar but there are cheaper deals on the internet if you hire from a company at the airport who supply from some distance. Last time booked a corsa for a week and had upgrade to a merc. Beat that.

vs

bazmbl

I have just done the quote again, note the OP asked for Heathrow not Oxford, still 7844 baht inclusive of insurance, Excess reimbursement insurance is available at £4.50 per day for 6 days. Total cost £27, see the attached pic.

Also the link to the quote is here

Bazmbl

My mistake, I was getting quote for 1/4 - 1/7 Don't know why :o

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am talking about a hire period of about four weeks so even a small per day saving adds up. Picking up from somewhere like Reading seems to make sense if the rate is better - I'll try TV's site again but the overall cost was not far off the BKK-LHR air fare last time I checked. And that didn't include gas. Ouch.

Edited by Greenside

Make sure you claim to be British resident and quote a UK drivers licence. Hertz and another company quoted me nearly double for saying Thailand ............

Suspect the know the increased risk.

Is it just me?

1/4 to 1/7 which presumably means 01/04/09 to 01/07/09 is 13 weeks.

5 weeks was 1st mentioned, then 4, but the linked quote from TV refers to 1 week. :o

(no scratching head icon available!)

MIght have been able to help with this, but too late already i guess.