Best Japanese Restaurant In Bangkok

LadyHeather

jfchandler, now we're even -- I picked up about Izumi from you on the other thread, and you've picked up about Niku from this thread.

In middle of Sept, a friend from Hong Kong will come stay with me in BKK, and he's really into good food -- shark's fin, seafood, good Thai food, etc. If anything that's a good balance between quality and price, I'll post our ventures.

Some Thai friends took me to this Chinese/Thai restaurant that's on Thonglor, about soi 14 or so, that's called Tong Krung or something like that. I'm not in BKK right now, so not sure of exact name and location. They like that restaurant as being good and authentic, amongst the locals anyway. I will get the exact name/location when I get back to BKK the 2nd week of Sept.

For those who are members of British Club on Silom soi 18, the Thai dishes made by the local chef at the club are very good and reasonably priced, and much like food that one might get at a Thai home, even if half the dishes are actually purchased outside and brought home.

Edited by tangoll

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review of Niku, JF. Gonna have to try that this week, and thanks to Tangoll for the original recommendation.

BTW, the restaurant on Thonglor is Ton Kreung - corner of Thonglor Soi 13. The food is quite good, but don't expect particularly great service especially at dinner time. Been there quite a few times but only when someone else suggests it.

• 2 months later...

My favorite is Yokayoka on Sukhumvit 16. Yokayoka is not your traditional Japanese restaurant that you find in Bangkok as it serves up Okinawan food where the cooking style using a lot of porks (an various parts thereof), different kinds of tofus, etc. Okinawan in kinda of the tropical part of Japan and use mostly stir-fried techniques, but also have many dishes soup based for similar winters to that of Thailand (ok maybe slightly colder in December). Search for YokaYoka on PekoPiko.com as there you can find map, reviews, restaurant details, etc. as the restaurant was quite busy when I went where you may want to make a reservation.

My favorite is Yokayoka on Sukhumvit 16. Yokayoka is not your traditional Japanese restaurant that you find in Bangkok as it serves up Okinawan food where the cooking style using a lot of porks (an various parts thereof), different kinds of tofus, etc. Okinawan in kinda of the tropical part of Japan and use mostly stir-fried techniques, but also have many dishes soup based for similar winters to that of Thailand (ok maybe slightly colder in December). Search for YokaYoka on PekoPiko.com as there you can find map, reviews, restaurant details, etc. as the restaurant was quite busy when I went where you may want to make a reservation.

Is Yokayoka restaurant really Okinawan or Kyushu style.... Im really curious to try it....

Both Fuji Super(market) branches have a Japanese restaurant called Jinya. The one in Suk 33/1 should be across from the market, on your right hand side when you come into the soi. You'll want to be fairly well-versed in Japanese food, at least know the names of the dishes, to be on the safe side. Last time I went , the menu had Japanese dish names spelt out in roman alphabets only, no pictures.

Why the hassle? Basically it sells really authentic, informal Japanese food (as opposed to flashy dinner party/banquet type) for a pretty good price. It's a joint that caters to Japanese expats. I frequented the place for several years when I lived in Bangkok, and got an addiction for chirashi sushi there. Caveat: it's been a while since I've been to Jinya, so the info may be inaccurate.

If you want something a little easier to navigate, Ootoya should be very good. They're non-sushi and can be found in several department stores. I've only been to the branches outside of BKK (several times in Tokyo and Taipei), but their food is just wonderful. Very good deep fried stuff like pork cutlets - they just might make you look down on the miserable breadcrumbs of pork chops elsewhere, I know I do. Be warned that most meals are in the 1000-calorie range, even if they don't look that rich; I saw the info on their Japanese website.

Personally I would avoid the Thai-operated chains like Zen or Fuji. They tend to be not so authentic - while this is a difference even Japanese people can live with, I've had Japanese food in Japan and I need stuff to be as close to the real thing as possible. Happy Hunting! :)

Yikes. Let's forget all the chain restaraunt froth. Ootoya is okay but that is it. Obviously 'Fuji' is a disgrace.

I know a fantastic izakaya style Japanese up around Soi 33 but can't recall its name. It was Japanese only (except me) and was uber -authentic and very delicious. Let me come back to you-- I will make a trip to find out within a couple of weeks. It was also hilariously cheap.

We need to break this subject down into the best...:

kaiten sushi

sushi

izakaya

yakitori

ramen

Western-influence

kaizen

other

...it is the world's tastiet food. Japan has more Michellin stars than France.

mezzoninny is not referring to Fuji Restaurants, rather the FUJI SUPERMARKET, which houses the small Japanese Sushi restaurant inside near the front door. For Bangkok, that sushi is quite good.

The other posts about L.A. though do remind me it is Wonderland for Japanese food, even the expatriate Japanese say this too.

Dr. B

Is Yokayoka restaurant really Okinawan or Kyushu style.... Im really curious to try it....

Definately Okinawan verified by my Japanese girlfriend that accompanied me. :-) Try it out and let me know what you think. Maybe post a review on that website mentioned above as it seems pretty good, but content is still developing. Heard they are about to launch an iphone and mobile app as well that should be cool. If you're after Sushi my favorite is Shintaro at the Four Seasons Hotel or Tsu at the JW Marriott. Ask Aki the Exec Chef for the 'really spicy tuna' as you will be pleased if you like spicy food.

Im a Japanese food lover too, I have been to many in bangkok and have to say that nearly all of them have been solid.

I have yet to find a bad Japanese resturant so far here, but I will say I have not found a good Viet restaurant here. ANyone know of a solid place

I liked the place on Sukhumvit Soi 13 (near Citi Chic Hotel) but it closed recently. I heard it's relocated and, if true, would love to know where. It was owned/run by a Vietnamese woman who'd lived in the States...good pot dishes...and (not sure why) also had some decent Binets.

Im a Japanese food lover too, I have been to many in bangkok and have to say that nearly all of them have been solid.

I have yet to find a bad Japanese resturant so far here, but I will say I have not found a good Viet restaurant here. ANyone know of a solid place

I liked the place on Sukhumvit Soi 13 (near Citi Chic Hotel) but it closed recently. I heard it's relocated and, if true, would love to know where. It was owned/run by a Vietnamese woman who'd lived in the States...good pot dishes...and (not sure why) also had some decent Binets.

Hi-saw that this post is a bit old, but maybe can offer something. I heard that the Thien Doung @ Dusit Thani is pretty good; one that I have wanted to try, but not had the chance is Ngon Lam just before Pattanakarn Soi 50. I believe this restaurant use to be located at Thong Lor Market Place that was one of my favorites before it closed down. If you do happen to visit it, let me know how it is.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I've eaten at Aoi. They are very good but quite pricey. For a very good lunch set at a decent price, try Honjyo which has daily specials for about 250 baht or so. Haven't made it down to Uomasa yet but heard the food there is great.

NipponTei always gets great marks for Japanese food. Several Japanese acquaintances have recommended Otooya to me. Although others may disagree, Otooya attracts many Japanese customers, probably because they seem to specialize in fish and traditional Japanese dishes. Downside is that they don't really sell sushi or ramen, which lots of foreigners enjoy.

Not sure if anyone mentioned Aoi (Silom soi 6, Emporium 4th floor and Paragon ground floor).

probably one of the best quality Japaense food all around you can get in Thailand.

for sashimi, try Uomasa at Japanese village in Thonglor (and Ekkamai).

Edited by mauiguy90

NipponTei always gets great marks for Japanese food. Several Japanese acquaintances have recommended Otooya to me. Although others may disagree, Otooya attracts many Japanese customers, probably because they seem to specialize in fish and traditional Japanese dishes. Downside is that they don't really sell sushi or ramen, which lots of foreigners enjoy.

Ootoya is an authentic Japanese chain, that's why the Japanese appreciate it.

NipponTei, the one and only time I went to the one in Emporium, was very average and very expensive - no different than Fuji except for price.

NipponTei, the one and only time I went to the one in Emporium, was very average and very expensive - no different than Fuji except for price.

Actually the NipponTei at Chidlom is the recommended restaurant. Didn't realize there was one at the Emporium. If its in the food court, I'm not surprised. If it compares with Fuji, they ought to shut it down!

I checked the Nippon Tei website and they don't have an Emporium branch listed. You might be mistaking it for another restaurant or maybe Nippon Tei is embarrassed about the quality of their food at the Emporium (There is a restaurant with a great view of the park but I don't think it was a Nippon Tei.)

nippontei.com/B1_EN.html

Edited by mauiguy90

Actually the NipponTei at Chidlom is the recommended restaurant. Didn't realize there was one at the Emporium. If its in the food court, I'm not surprised. If it compares with Fuji, they ought to shut it down!

I checked the Nippon Tei website and they don't have an Emporium branch listed. You might be mistaking it for another restaurant or maybe Nippon Tei is embarrassed about the quality of their food at the Emporium (There is a restaurant with a great view of the park but I don't think it was a Nippon Tei.)

nippontei.com/B1_EN.html

I checked on the web and the restaurant you are referring to is actually Nippon Kai (very similar name for some strange reason). Next time I'm at the Emporium, I will check it out but it seems that the names might be intentionally similar. The place does have a great view of the park. It apparently has another branch at Siam Paragon.

Edited by mauiguy90

Many good suggestions, thank you very much. Hopefully I will find the time to try some sooner rather than later. And thanks for the suggestion polecat but I doubt I will wait for an offer from bkkjames :)

from the sound of things, we need an offer from polecat rather than from james :D

Definately Okinawan verified by my Japanese girlfriend that accompanied me. :-) Try it out and let me know what you think. Maybe post a review on that website mentioned above as it seems pretty good, but content is still developing. Heard they are about to launch an iphone and mobile app as well that should be cool. If you're after Sushi my favorite is Shintaro at the Four Seasons Hotel or Tsu at the JW Marriott. Ask Aki the Exec Chef for the 'really spicy tuna' as you will be pleased if you like spicy food.

Not yet mentioned is a nifty little Okinawan restaurant on Suk. Soi 69, just below the Phra Khanong BTS station. Walk in the direction of traffic and turn left at the FAMILY MART on the corner of Soi 69. The restaurant is 100m on the right, just past the snooker hall.

A friend who taught in both Okinawa and mainland Japan loves it.

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites and i'm very surprised no one has mentioned it yet...

One of the oldest and best Japanese restaurant in Bangkok is the Edoya - it has been relocated to Charn Isara tower entrance in Silom

Here is the website

http://www.japaneserestaurantbangkok.com

Great set lunches from 11am and very affordable from 190 baht

Wonderful Evening meals and the Private rooms are great for small groups or larger ones for that matter.

Best of all the Edoya is next door to New York minute - A Japanese Karaoke lounge with live bands and a great free Caberet show

so its a nice evening out