Foreign Teacher Needs A Lawyer

Could someone please help me. I am in need of a good lawyer concerning my contract with a private school in Min Buri. I am an American but also have Thai citizenship. Could anyone please help me. Preferably a law firm that offers free consulation and speaks English. Thank you very much!

jame

u are welcome to send me info to me by PM.

thanks everybody for your kind help.

Could someone please help me. I am in need of a good lawyer concerning my contract with a private school in Min Buri. I am an American but also have Thai citizenship. Could anyone please help me. Preferably a law firm that offers free consulation and speaks English. Thank you very much!

jame

You'll find an English translation of Thai labour law if you follow this link: http://www.thailaws.com/

Then go to the Labour Office with someone who can help with translation. They are very helpful and will contact your employer on your behalf. If this fails, they will arrange a date for the labour court to hear your complaint.

I wouldn't bother with a lawyer for three reasons:

1) They don't care about the case as much as you

2) The labour court will appoint a lawyer to prepare your complaint for free

3) The labour office officer phoning the school is usually effective and will cost you nothing

If you are more specific about the complaint, I'm sure there's someone here who can help with a particular aspect of labour law.

I would recommend that you call a few law firms in Bangkok regarding your Thai labour law case. Some firms such as ours (Siam Legal) will do these type of labour cases on a "no win no fee" type basis. However, this really depends on the facts of the case and the evidence you have available.

Dennis Ramm

Managing Partner

Siam Legal International

jame

You'll find an English translation of Thai labour law if you follow this link: http://www.thailaws.com/

Then go to the Labour Office with someone who can help with translation. They are very helpful and will contact your employer on your behalf. If this fails, they will arrange a date for the labour court to hear your complaint.

I wouldn't bother with a lawyer for three reasons:

1) They don't care about the case as much as you

2) The labour court will appoint a lawyer to prepare your complaint for free

3) The labour office officer phoning the school is usually effective and will cost you nothing

If you are more specific about the complaint, I'm sure there's someone here who can help with a particular aspect of labour law.

Since around Jan 08 the Labor Department no longer handles disputes for teachers working at private schools.

You have to contact you local MoE Office and find the person who oversees your particular school.

I recently contacted them, and unlike the Labor Office, found them very unhelpful.

Good Luck. It sounds like the advice from Siam International... might be the way to go.

Since around Jan 08 the Labor Department no longer handles disputes for teachers working at private schools.

You have to contact you local MoE Office and find the person who oversees your particular school.

I recently contacted them, and unlike the Labor Office, found them very unhelpful.

Good Luck. It sounds like the advice from Siam International... might be the way to go.

I said the same in post 26 of this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Labor-L....html&st=25

- It wasn't believed :o

I am not sure if we can discuss schools by name here, but I am aware of a school in Min Buri that is having huge problems and I am guessing they will not resolve any time soon. Ask about the history of native speakers in the school and see if you get a straight answer. This one school eats native speakers like candy.

Thanks for every ones comments and suggestions.

Just to be a little more clear. It is a private school, i been there almost 2 years, the owner has a long history of losing foreign and thai teachers and trying not to pay them correct severence. All of our foriegn managers QUIT 3 weeks before the end of term and left all of us foreign teachers in disarray. I left the day they quit which was 2nd week in Feb. 2009. The owner didnt pay me for 2 days sick pay that he previoulsy owed and for the 2 weeks i worked in Feb.

Please any further advice would be very helpful. Thanks everybody!

jame

Dear Mr. Gumb, I do know the school that you have been working at. It seems that 2 days pay is better left behind. I do not think that you are entitled to anything if you did, in fact, walk out. Go see one of the lawyers recommended on this site. Also remember that the school will have a record of your sick time and how many times that you were late. This evidence will be used against you in court. Best of luck amigo.

I can prove that i did not take more than 10 sick days. I dont really care about that.

I'm not trying to necessarily get more money, i mainly want some questions answered so i dont scew up like this again. That's my main goal.

I can prove that i did not take more than 10 sick days. I dont really care about that.

I'm not trying to necessarily get more money, i mainly want some questions answered so i dont scew up like this again. That's my main goal.

I'm pretty certain Labour law allows you up to 30-days paid sick leave. You'll only need a doctor's note for absences due to sickness that are longer than 2 consecutive days.

• 1 month later...

jame

Dear jame,

I too would like a lawyer for a class action suit against blatant fraud and unethical business practices in Thailand.

There is deep 'yellow' pockets for a good attorney to sink his teeth into.

Please email me an address and contact inofrmation for a good labor attorney in Thailand,

All my best,

beijingyank

I'm pretty certain Labour law allows you up to 30-days paid sick leave. You'll only need a doctor's note for absences due to sickness that are longer than 2 consecutive days.

Correct.

Edited by Phatcharanan