[thaifoodmaster] Silver Pomfret In Three Flavors Tamarind Sauce

aircut

ปลาจะละเม็ดซอสน้ำมะขามเปรียกสามรส

Bplaa chalamet saawt naam ma khaam piak saam roht

Silver Pomfret in Three Flavors Tamarind Sauce

A friend and a colleague, who used to live on a boat for 10 years in the British Virgin Islands, told me recently, that they had lots of tamarind trees over there and how much she loves the sauces and jellies made from tamarind.

In Thai cooking we love tamarind as well. anyone who is familiar with Thai cuisine knows that it is built on three basic tastes: Sour, salty and sweet. A sauce made from tamarind simmered with palm sugar and fish sauce is made to combine sweetness, sourness and saltiness into the old fashioned and still very popular "saam roht" or "three flavors" tamarind sauce. The sauce is poured over fish or shrimps.

To the dish success, as important as the "three flavors" are the chilies heat from roasted chili paste; the crisp & crunchy texture of the fried fish skin and its firm somewhat sweet meat.

Palm sugar can be viewed almost as handicraft product. It is still largely made by families from the juice of a sweet-sapped palm trees. I drive to Samut Songran province to buy Palm sugar from my favorite producer. The light processing leaves much of the flavor of the sugar intact, creating an almost molasses-like flavor with beautiful aroma. In the west Palm sugar is readily available from Asian markets. When selecting a brand make sure it crumbles when you squeeze it. This is a good test that no white sugar was added. if you absolutely cannot find palm sugar you may substitutes it with a dark brown sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons of molasses for every cup of brown sugar. Refined white sugar is absolutely NOT a suitable substitute!.

The recipe also calls for Roasted chili paste (nam prik pao), also sometime referred to as "Chili Jam" Roasted chili paste is also readily available from Asian markets under a wide range of brand names. I prefer to make my own, (I know...;-} I should upload a tutorial), However, if you decide to use commercial brands please experiment and adjust the amount used in this recipe to suite your palate.

I chose to use Silver Pomfret, because of its prized delicate light fish taste, and white firm meat texture. You can freely substitute it with your favorite fish; Bass, Perch Snapper or Thai Red Tilapia - are all suitable substitutes.

An expert tip: Before frying the fish soak it in fragrant jasmine rice waters for 10 minutes or so. This will remove the fishy odors and the starch will help the skin to fry to a perfect crispy texture....

Watch the video:

Download the recipe:

http://www.thaifoodmaster.com/recipes/fish/20

hth, Enjoy!