Australian Man Sentenced To Jail For Throwing His Thai Wife Out Window

sriracha john

Australian sentenced to jail for throwing wife out window

A Singapore court on Monday sentenced an Australian project manager who threw his Thai wife out of their fourth-floor bedroom window to 25 months in jail, media reports said. The court found Jason John Porteous, 36, who pleaded guilty to attempted manslaughter, to have been suffering from depression and alcoholism at the time of the May 17 incident.

Porteous was originally accused of attempted murder, but after a psychiatric assessment the charge was lessened.

The Australian was watching television and drinking alcohol when his wife, identified as Ms Pimchaonok, and her cousin, who had been staying with the couple for some weeks, returned home in the evening, the online edition of Straits Times newspaper reported.

As he asked to see the cousin's breasts his wife scolded him for his request.

Later, while his wife was sleeping, Porteous entered the bedroom, picked her up and threw her out of the window.

She managed to grab hold of the window sill but slipped and fell to the ground.

Her cousin found her lying in a drain, bleeding from her head, mouth and ears, but still alive.

Porteous refused to bring his wife to a hospital. Instead, he took a taxi to the airport but returned home and was arrested later, the report said.

His wife was discharged from hospital after several months.

- DPA / 2009-03-23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an idiot, throwing someone out of a window.. then later refusing help and flying the scene. The fact that he only gets 25 months is a joke.

an article from the time of incident..

Hubby on attempted murder charge

A Caucasian man was charged in court on Tuesday with trying to kill his Thai wife.

No plea was taken from Jason John Porteous, 35.

He is accused of pushing Mrs Pimchanok Porteous, in her early 30s, out of their fourth-floor bedroom window, causing her to fall to the ground of Block 244 Lorong Chuan in the early hours on Sunday.

Mrs Porteous is in a stable condition in an intensive care unit of a hospital.

Porteous, who is in the administrative line, was warded for psychiatric examination. He will return to court on June 3.

If convicted, he faces up to life imprisonment or jail of up to 20 years and liable to fine or caning or both.

- The Straits Times / May 20, 2008

How can it be attempted manslaughter? Isn't the difference between manslaughter and murder the intent? So if there's no intent and thus no attempted murder, how can there be an attempt to commit a crime that's due to there being no intent?

Should have been attempted murder. He didn't just shove her while they were standing on the balcony. Carrying her from the bed and throwing her out the window is not an unintended accident.

back to the present news now...

Jailed for throwing wife

An Australian project manager who threw his Thai wife out of their fourth-floor bedroom window was jailed for 25 months on Monday.

Jason John Porteous, 36, who pleaded guilty to attempted manslaughter, was found to be suffering from a major depressive disorder and had alcoholic dependence syndrome at the time of the May 18 incident.

A Community Court heard that Ms Pimchaonok returned to their Lorong Chuan condominium home on May 17 evening with her cousin, who had been staying with her since the end of April.

Porteous was watching television in the living room and drinking alcohol. The victim said he was drunk.

He then asked to see the cousin's breasts and Ms Pimchaonok scolded him for his request. Later, while she was sleeping, Porteous entered the bedroom at 2.17am, picked her up and threw her out of the window.

She managed to grab hold of the window sill but slipped and fell to the ground, groaning.

Her cousin heard loud noises but could not see anyone in the master bedroom, the door of which was wide open. She went to look for Ms Pimchanok and found her lying in a drain, bleeding from her head, mouth and ears.

The cousin returned to the flat and found that Porteous had packed a black bag with his passport on the dining table.

She told him that Ms Pimchanok was alive and said they should go to the hospital but he refused.

Instead, he took a cab to the airport but then returned shortly to his home.

Porteous met police at his home who told him that his wife had been taken to hospital; he then went to the hospital. He was later arrested.

Ms Pamchanok was discharged on June 13. Porteous could have been jailed for up to 15 years or fined or caned or received a combination of punishments.

- The Straits Times / 2009-03-23

he should have been given life , sounds a nasty ba5tard , and alcoholism is no excuse.

As he asked to see the cousin's breasts his wife scolded him for his request.

he obviously had the idea of a threesome on his mind when he made this request , the delicious fantasy had probably been floating around in his alcohol fuelled mind for a few days prior to this , and when the request was turned down he went primeval and threw her out of the window.

should be no shortage of threesome sex for him over the next 25 months though.

What a horrible man - should have been 25 years not 25 months.

Of course it should but this happened in Singapore and Thai women are not held in high esteem there.

Manslaughter is something that happens either on the spur of the moment or as an unfortunate consequence almost, but not quite, an accident.

Murder is premeditated.

Walking into the bedroom, picking her up and throwing her out of the window was premeditated. The alcoholic state of the mind is no defence, the psychiatric state of the mind is beyond my remit to judge so I won't.

As a Singaporean, I can tell you that the government still has colonial hangover. There are many instances where usually rich foreigners (read caucasians) have got off lightly after committing crimes here. On the other end of the scale, they see our 'poorer' cousins from neighbouring countries such as malaysian and thailand as low class people.This is a sad fact and that is why i am planning to leave this god dam_n country for Thailand

Man jailed for hurling wife out of window

SINGAPORE, March 24 - An Australlian who hurled his Thai wife out of their fourth-floor bedroom window in Singapore has been jailed for 25 months for attempted culpable homicide.

Jason John Porteous, 36, a project manager with a multinational chemical company, pleaded guilty to throwing Mrs Pimchanok Porteous, 33, out of their Chuan Park apartment window last May.

His wife, who spent a month in hospital after the incident and has since recovered, told The Straits Times she has forgiven him 'completely'.

She was in court yesterday, and visited him several times a week while he was in remand during the last 10 months.

His sentence was yesterday backdated to May 20 of last year.

Mrs Porteous, who now runs a food stall in Queenstown, also handed the court a copy of a letter of appeal she had written, in which she asked that the case against him be dropped.

Declaring that he had given her everything from education to financial support, she wrote: "I cannot live with another man and I will do anything to get him back and start our life together again."

Porteous was found by an Institute of Mental Health psychiatrist to have had a major depressive disorder and chronic alcoholism at the time.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong told a Community Court that on May 17 last year, Mrs Porteous had returned home from a party tipsy from wine.

She was with her cousin, who was at the time staying with the couple.

Porteous was watching television and drinking, and his wife knew he was drunk.

When the two women joined him in the living room, he asked Mrs Porteous' cousin to show him her breasts.

The request was denied, and Mrs Porteous rebuked him for making it.

She decided to go to bed. He entered the bedroom and continued pleading with her to persuade her cousin to show him her breasts, but she ignored him.

Later, he re-entered the bedroom and picked her up. She woke up, but before she could react, he threw her out of the window. She grabbed hold of the window sill, but lost her grip and fell.

Her cousin, alerted to the noise, found her lying in a drain below the master bedroom, bleeding from her head, mouth and ears.

Her cousin returned to the flat and told Porteous that his wife needed to be taken to hospital, but he had changed and thrown some belongings into a bag.

He ended up taking a cab to the airport, then back home. He was later arrested for attempted murder.

His lawyer S.S. Dhillon said his client's depression arose from the news of his mother's terminal illness and his wife's lack of concern over this.

He added that Porteous has since been remorseful about what he did.

Porteous could have been jailed for up to 15 years or fined or caned or received a combination of the punishments.

- The Straits Times / 2009-03-24

As a Singaporean, I can tell you that the government still has colonial hangover. There are many instances where usually rich foreigners (read caucasians) have got off lightly after committing crimes here. On the other end of the scale, they see our 'poorer' cousins from neighbouring countries such as malaysian and thailand as low class people.This is a sad fact and that is why i am planning to leave this god dam_n country for Thailand

Welcome from the colonial hangover to nationalistic pride.

Here it's the Laoatians and Burmese who get the brunt and abuse.

The falangs are tolerated, pretty much for financial reasons.

Still a beer is cheaper :o

I seem to remember Nick Leeson said some dirty words to a Singaporean girl in a bar and was send to a cell...don't remember for how long. He was then jailed for several years until he got cancer for unregulated forex trading and setting up a secret error account keeping the losses off the book.

I guess the girls recovery after about a month was one reason for the short sentence. Had she still been in intensive care at the time of the trial he probably would have got a harsher sentence. She must have had a "lucky" fall. I think if I'd fallen out I would have had a lot more injuries. Perhaps the apartments had low ceilings, whilst first floor is what we also term ground floor.

I thought his request was reasonable.....women :o ....to think if she had only shown the breasts, none of this would of happened.....wasnt like he asked to grope or lick them either :D .

On a serious note.......he should of got alot more than 25 months. I thought Singapore also did lashes of the whip, surprising he didnt get a thousand lashes just to spice things up a little bit :D

I seem to remember Nick Leeson said some dirty words to a Singaporean girl in a bar and was send to a cell...don't remember for how long. He was then jailed for several years until he got cancer for unregulated forex trading and setting up a secret error account keeping the losses off the book.

He was jailed for several years for talking dirty in a bar.

Then he got cancer for unregulated forex trading.

Glad I don't live in Singapore.

How can it be attempted manslaughter? Isn't the difference between manslaughter and murder the intent? So if there's no intent and thus no attempted murder, how can there be an attempt to commit a crime that's due to there being no intent?

Should have been attempted murder. He didn't just shove her while they were standing on the balcony. Carrying her from the bed and throwing her out the window is not an unintended accident.

In layman's terms

Murder premeditated and successful

Attempted murder premeditated and unsuccessful

Manslaughter not premeditated but person dies

Attempted manslaughter not premeditated but person does not die

Glad you don't write factual news reports

Whaddya mean? Hes like any other Journalist.....never let the truth get in the way of a good story :o

You live in your country. Come to thailand and you will be a foreigner. Don't expect the same treatment that you get in Singapore

Whaddya mean? Hes like any other Journalist.....never let the truth get in the way of a good story :o

Absolutely right, neverdie, absolutely right

Can any man here put their hand on their heart and say

"I have not thought about throwing my Thai wife out of a window"

And that would be premeditation! This guy didn't mentally plan it out, it was a sudden flash of anger and being denied the viewing of the gozabas - and there was the window before him, 'right, out you go darlin' "

So thats why it isn't attempted murder.