Is there a market for organic produce in Thailand

Hi to all you organic farmers, ive had a pm from Soundman [mod] saying if an organic farming thread generates enough interest he will pin it for us,

And if its big perhaps a sub-forum, although its a head ache for the TV people to do,,

Ive seen many posts about organic methods and i follow them,ive posted a few myself about composting,

I was picking Tamarind yesterday, it was very quiet on our hillside farm, i sat down for a rest, then a bird started singing, others joined in, i hadnt heard this for 2 years, why? because chemicals have been banned since last November, then i go to water the salad gardens, the makua we put in last november is still 6in high, because of herbicide and its mis-use, i had many ideas for the salad beds this year, but if weeds wont grow, what will?? now im going to have to wait till the rains clean the soil,

opps sorry, ive gone on a bit,

But please, all you gardeners/farmers who want to share ideas and solutions, add your vote here,

Thanks all, Lickey..

Hi farmers,

I am working as a GM for a food importing company here in Thailand, we are serving the high end hotels and restaurants.

I can tell you there's a huge demand for all organic products here.

Gerd

Hi to all you organic farmers, ive had a pm from Soundman [mod] saying if an organic farming thread generates enough interest he will pin it for us,

And if its big perhaps a sub-forum, although its a head ache for the TV people to do,,

Ive seen many posts about organic methods and i follow them,ive posted a few myself about composting,

I was picking Tamarind yesterday, it was very quiet on our hillside farm, i sat down for a rest, then a bird started singing, others joined in, i hadnt heard this for 2 years, why? because chemicals have been banned since last November, then i go to water the salad gardens, the makua we put in last november is still 6in high, because of herbicide and its mis-use, i had many ideas for the salad beds this year, but if weeds wont grow, what will?? now im going to have to wait till the rains clean the soil,

But please, all you gardeners/farmers who want to share ideas and solutions, add your vote here,

Thanks all, Lickey..

Hi farmers,

I am working as a GM for a food importing company here in Thailand, we are serving the high end hotels and restaurants.

Gerd

Welcome to the organic forum ! What a coincidence I was only mentioning your name to fellow Thaivisa member IssanAussie earlier today re. sausage making !!  checked out your posts and am glad my memory hasn't totally deserted me !! I know it's off topic but can you let us know about casings and machinery etc.. I'm based in Chiang Rai . So down to business what should all us organic farmers/market gardeners here in LOS be growing to fill the needs of the local market and make a few quid in the process ?? Do your company contract growers here or strictly deal in imports ?? Is there any certification process for organic farmers here in Thailand that you are aware of ?? I know its your first visit to the organic forum and I'm bombarding you with questions..get used to it my friend its the only way to learn, asking questions of people who are working at the "coal face" as it were !! Where are you importing from ?? Best sellers ?? Any Info most welcome as I'm sure It would work out cheaper for you to have products grown/raised here in the Kingdom to your specs rather than importing, a no brainer really !! Surely between us (visitors of the organic forum that is.. Ive always liked the Idea of farmers co-ops myself ) we could work something out !! Either way let us know any info you have, PM us about all you know about sausages and obviously drop in any time to check out what harebrained schemes us organicites (dont believe thats a real word !!) are cooking up !!

highest regards Jandtaa

Edited by jandtaa

Thanks all, Lickey..

Hi farmers,

Gerd

Welcome to the organic forum ! What a coincidence I was only mentioning your name to fellow Thaivisa member IssanAussie earlier today re. sausage making !! checked out your posts and am glad my memory hasn't totally deserted me !! I know it's off topic but can you let us know about casings and machinery etc.. I'm based in Chiang Rai . So down to business what should all us organic farmers/market gardeners here in LOS be growing to fill the needs of the local market and make a few quid in the process ?? Do your company contract growers here or strictly deal in imports ?? Is there any certification process for organic farmers here in Thailand that you are aware of ?? I know its your first visit to the organic forum and I'm bombarding you with questions..get used to it my friend its the only way to learn, asking questions of people who are working at the "coal face" as it were !! Where are you importing from ?? Best sellers ?? Any Info most welcome as I'm sure It would work out cheaper for you to have products grown/raised here in the Kingdom to your specs rather than importing, a no brainer really !! Surely between us (visitors of the organic forum that is.. Ive always liked the Idea of farmers co-ops myself ) we could work something out !! Either way let us know any info you have, PM us about all you know about sausages and obviously drop in any time to check out what harebrained schemes us organicites (dont believe thats a real word !!) are cooking up !!

highest regards Jandtaa

Hi Jandtaa and all the other farmers here,

I will try to answer all your questions:

-Having the right certifications for all organic products would make things much easier, contact the FDA and ask how to get them.

-All organic products (vegetable, fruits, pork, poultry,fish) would have a big chance on the market here!

-My company is dealing with imports, but having some local products with certifications would be much easier.

Many of these hotels which are strictly using org. food have a policy to support the local producers.

-We are importing food from all around the world.

-I like the idea about the co-ops: One farmer does the fruits, the other one does pork etc.

Together building up a co-op would make you much stronger(marketing, sales).

-About sausage making please pm to me.

-Bestsellers you ask:All these organic products are,and I thing it will be a fast growing niche. It;s your chance to start asap to place your products in that market.

-Create a logo, name and website for these products and start marketing.

Have a great Sunday,

Gerd

Thanks for your quick reply Gerd !! Certainly some food for thought as it were !!

this site is under construction but looks to be where it's at in regard to organic certification A.C.T

also came across this site which shows organic products already being marketed from a small farm in Ratchaburi Organic Thai Farm

cheers all Jandtaa

Edited by jandtaa