James Dean Bar, Patong

jdean

James Dean Bar (since 2535) had a Grand Re-opening on March 21st in a new location on the new north-south road. If you are on this road going from Patong Hospital towards JungCeylon, James Dean Bar is in the first set of shophouses on your left, in the middle row and two behind the front. Phaithoon and Joel are still there to welcome you!

The opening event was basically for the other bar owners and some select clients. As you may or may not know,the gay bar operators are a close lot and this acts to restrict movement of the boys between the bars in the Paradise zone. By ensuring that alternative employment is limited, the working conditions can be kept in favour of the operators.

And now a question for the bar operator. Will you be able to offer a guarantee that your bar will not employ underage workers?

It seems a great many bars in Paradise have minors in their employ now and it is uncomfortable for some patrons, particularly the under 30 types.

Not such a bad idea to get away from the Paradise high rent zone. Depressing area just because of the noise and dirt. Best of luck.

I'm quite familiar with the boy bar scene in paradise and the way the owners control their 'staff' but no need to go into details about that here :o .... this afternoon I tried locating the new location according to the map on the jamesdeanbar website but was unable to find it.... i'm sure i was in the right place but i'm guessing that there is no sign up and during the day when it's closed its just one of the 100 or more new shops opening there with the metal front door all closed up until they open in the evening....

maybe i'll try having another look again tonite... would be nice to find an alternative to the existing paradise area...

seems like a kind of backwards marketing strategy tho, if your intention is to generate future business from the general gay population, why focus your opening towards your existing 'competition' and not your potential new customers?

The opening event was basically for the other bar owners and some select clients. As you may or may not know,the gay bar operators are a close lot and this acts to restrict movement of the boys between the bars in the Paradise zone. By ensuring that alternative employment is limited, the working conditions can be kept in favour of the operators.

And now a question for the bar operator. Will you be able to offer a guarantee that your bar will not employ underage workers?

It seems a great many bars in Paradise have minors in their employ now and it is uncomfortable for some patrons, particularly the under 30 types.

Not such a bad idea to get away from the Paradise high rent zone. Depressing area just because of the noise and dirt. Best of luck.

A couple of further comments to your response,

re the underage workers, I doubt that will ever change...

re the new location being any different from the 'noise and dirt in paradise', with all the other ongoing contruction in that new area now, that's not likely to change either for some time....

Although my comments seem negative, I think it's great they relocated. I understand why bars are clustered, but it's just so overkill in Paradise. It's like a big ghetto. Sprinkling some fun bars around Patong is a good idea. Alot of cutomers just don't want to make the trek to Paradise. Last night I walked by and it was such a hassle dodging the crowded sidewalk vendors and the aggressive menu attack squad at the eateries across the street. Plus there is the "let's run down the pedestrian" drivers on Rat U. Having a few places to go spread out makes it easier to go and chill for a bit if you are in that area, especially with all the new condos around. I hope it works, just for the sake of diversification and a better nightlife experience for everyone.

There will be no bar boys working at James Dean Bar, only just enough staff to serve the drinks. Phaithoon is the host, his nephew Rung is the bartender and Bien is the waiter, all over the age of 30!!

I'm quite familiar with the boy bar scene in paradise and the way the owners control their 'staff' but no need to go into details about that here :o .... this afternoon I tried locating the new location according to the map on the jamesdeanbar website but was unable to find it.... i'm sure i was in the right place but i'm guessing that there is no sign up and during the day when it's closed its just one of the 100 or more new shops opening there with the metal front door all closed up until they open in the evening....

maybe i'll try having another look again tonite... would be nice to find an alternative to the existing paradise area...

seems like a kind of backwards marketing strategy tho, if your intention is to generate future business from the general gay population, why focus your opening towards your existing 'competition' and not your potential new customers?

Opening hour is 3PM. There is a sign that reads vertically down the front of the first 2 floors that says JAMES DEAN. Find the bar by going north on the new road from Patong Hospital towards JungCeylon. The first group of shophouses you come to on the left hand side is called Likit Plaza (although the sign for that is not up yet). There are 3 rows of shophouses, all decorated with a width of horizontal dark brown lengths of wood that go up the whole front of each building. James Dean Bar is in the middle row of shophouses and is 2nd in back of the front shophouse, Directly across from it is Hotel Sole. One of the front shophouses is open for business and is call Urban Patong, a rather smart looking guesthouse. If you see that you went too far.

i might have been encouraged to attend, had you posted notice about it BEFORE the event rather than after... :o

In a perfect world that should have happened. The actual date was in doubt just the day before so when it was sure the bar could open, it was just by word of mouth, sorry.