British Yachting Couple Attacked In Satun

saneroad

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British man 'killed by pirates in Thailand'

off the coast of Satun, a southern province bordering Malaysia.

I'm immediately reminded of the good book:

piratesbook.jpg

which is about pirates plundering passing ships off Tarutao.... an island in Satun province... during WW II.

1870472146-yachtsman-murder-robbery.jpg

Malcolm Robertson, 64, was attacked yesterday while sailing with his wife Linda, 57, near Koh Dong, an island about 45 miles west of Satun province.

Sky News

---------------------------------

Koh Dong is one of the islands making up the Tarutao island chain.

A friend of mine (and his girlfriend) were beaten to death with shovels by migrant workers. In his case in Nepal, and the migrant workers were Indian.

Seems they'd gone off the 'beaten track' on their motorbikes.

What happens is that travellers who are perceived to be carrying a King's ransom are isolated, and the thieves go for it. Some attempt at self-defence is made and that is the trigger for the killing.

Thailand pirate murder exclusive: Wife tells of horror on dream trip

Devastated Lindy Robertson told yesterday how she was tied up naked and kept prisoner for 12 hours by pirates who murdered her husband and threw his body off their yacht.

The three killers boarded Lindy and Malcolm’s boat as it lay anchored off an island near the coast of Thailand and were trying to steal its dinghy when the British man confronted them.

Lindy, who is recovering in a Thai hospital, yesterday rang home to tell brother John Clee how she lay in bed on the yacht listening in horror as 64-year-old Malcolm tried to fight off the attackers.

She sobbed: “They’ve murdered Malcolm. I know they’ve murdered him.”

John said Lindy and Malcolm had been sleeping in separate cabins because the night was so unbearably hot. He added: “Lindy heard a commotion and shouted for Malcolm.

“Then she heard him go up on deck and shout for people to get off the boat. There was a skirmish and she heard a splosh before it went deadly silent. She lay in terror and three of them came in and tied her up. She was naked so it was especially horrific. They kept her prisoner for eight to 12 hours, only untying her enough to make her sail the boat when they needed her, then tying her up again.

“All the time she was convinced Malcolm was dead and they were going to do her in when they had finished with her.”

The pirates, who spoke no English, let the yacht drift away from the isle of Koh Dong as they ransacked it.

They eventually left the yacht – taking the dinghy that they had loaded with valuables, including a laptop and a camera.

As soon as they had gone Lindy, 58, from St Leonards, East Sussex, made for a nearby fishing boat and raised the alarm. John said: “She knew she could easily outrun the pirates.

“Lindy was able to tell police exactly which direction the pirates had taken off in. The launch was so slow they wouldn’t have got far so officers soon caught up in their boat and arrested them. One of the worst bits for Lindy was having to come back in the same police boat as the pirates.”

Three migrant fishermen from Burma were yesterday being questioned on suspicion of murdering Malcolm, a retired businessman. They are reported to have confessed to punching him and beating him with a hammer on Monday night.

When he yelled for help they allegedly cut his throat and bundled him overboard. No body has yet been found. Colonel Virat Ohn-song of the Thai police said: “They tried to steal the dinghy and beat Mr Robertson with their fists and hammers until he died. We believe from our interview with his wife that Mr. Robertson was dead before he was thrown into the water.

“This is very bad. Very bad. There was a lot of blood in the boat’s main cabin where the struggle took place.”

Malcolm and Lindy were on the last leg of a round-the-world yachting adventure that began more than a decade ago.

John said: “I just can’t believe it has all come to an end like this – not sailing the high seas in search of grand adventure but at the hands of some thuggish pirates.

“I told Lindy ‘You know Malcolm. He’s a strong man. He might have been picked up by another boat or survived somehow’.

“But it’s not looking good. I think we all know what happened out there.”

The couple, who were due to return to the UK in two weeks, had been sailing the 44 ft, £300,000 yacht named Mr Bean from Phuket to the Malaysian island of Langkawi.

They had previously travelled around the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and in the South Pacific, New Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia.

They had sailed from Eastbourne in June 1998 on their adventure and since then had spent every winter on the yacht, returning home each summer.

The couple, who each have two children from previous marriages, had planned to sell Mr Bean last year.

But after failing to get the price they wanted they decided to enjoy one last winter on it. They detailed their travels in an online sea-log that featured pictures of them enjoying their travels.

In the log, Malcolm described himself as the captain of the ship and listed “Admiral Lindy Robertson” as his only crew member.

Brian White, a neighbour of the couple in St Leonards, said: “Malcolm had pretty much retired and they spent as much time as possible sailing.

“They had a wonderful life. I am so saddened. I can’t believe this has happened to them.”

The couple’s four children were yesterday flying out to Thailand to be with Lindy, who is recovering from minor injuries.

- Mirror (UK) / 3 minutes ago

Very sad and terrible news to hear about this. Very saddening indeed.

I'm just reading a book called 'voyaging on a small income' by Annie Hill which devotes a whole chapter to the pros and cons of a rubber dinghy versus a cheap looking wooden one. Quite a lot of the conclusion was that rubber dinghies are very attractive to thieves, whilst an old looking plywood one isnt. It cites numerous tales about rubber dinghies being stolen from yachts whilst the owners are aboard. The bars and restaurants around the anchorages in Phuket are awash with adverts from owners looking for lost dinghies.

This incident will probably be logged by the yacthing press as an act of piracy. And that isnt good for the tourism industry at all. Somalia is a great example. Boats cant avoid the area if they are going to use the Suez canal - but they sure as hel_l dont stop off there and inject any money into the local community because of the threat of piracy. This is mercifully a pretty isolated incident in Thailand, and lets hope it stays that way, but it's just one more piece of bad news that the international press will highlight and will stop some people from coming to Thailand. Not good.

Certain nationalities have always, and will always, have an affinity with sailing the high seas around the world, and that means getting off the beaten track - not that Satun is particularly off the beaten track. To the poster that said they were putting themselves at risk by being there in their big expensive boat, i say you're misguided. Not all these people are awash with money. Annie Hill sailed for decades on an income equivelent to 1, 500 pounds PER YEAR.

My heart goes out to Linda Robertson. Such a tragedy. She was living her dream with her husband and it ends up like this. The poor woman. Stuck in a strange country. I hope the British consulate and also the expat community rally round and support this woman in her hour of need. If anyone is in the area, please consider offering your support if you can. Internet access, phone access, a shoulder to cry on, a bed in a safe house. What ever she needs.

Thanks DP 25. I missed that.

From the pictures and police report I think the police have got the right people; but I agree with your first comment let's hope this is not a stitch up to clear the case and prove it's not Thai related. I'm not saying it is. I'm not speculating. But TIT. Maybe the widow will later confirm to the police.

Apparently she has, if that is correct. In which case, well done BIB

Edited by caf

If your going to go sailing your fancy rich yacht around dangerous seas close to the province of people starving with no money or possessions don't be surprised if your attacked!

Its like walking through a ghetto wearing a Rolex! what do you expect?

Really, soft rich white folk having 'an adventure' really should do more research and take more precautions.

Of course its all very sad and my commiserations go out to the family etc etc etc...but really!...stick to a boating lake in Surrey loves.

This is another TRASH post by Miserere, the same poster that stated in a previous post about a pedestrian that had been run over and killed by a hit and run driver "Even a child knows to look both ways before he crosses". In that case, as this case, there was absolutely no evidence to suggest that the victim had done wrong.

You should think before you post Miserere.....is that possible for you? :o

A British man on holiday with his wife is believed to be dead after an attack by a gang who jumped on board his yacht.

Police in Thailand have arrested three fishermen, suspected of murdering the man off the Andaman sea coast.

He's been identified as 64-year-old Malcolm Robertson from the English county of East Sussex.

It's thought he was out sailing with his wife near the island of Koh Dong, when his attackers climbed on board the yacht and tried to steal a raft.

Mr Robertson was attacked after confronting the thieves; it's believed his throat was slit, and that he was then thrown overboard.

Police say the suspected attackers were migrant workers from neighbouring Myanmar , and that they confessed to the killing.

The body has not been found.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/542860...yacht-overboard

For a broader picture it is perhaps about time something serious is done about Burma (not myanmar for me) as their citizens looking for survival are more desperate than ever and threaten the whole south-east asian countries

Thanks DP 25. I missed that.

From the pictures and police report I think the police have got the right people; but I agree with your first comment let's hope this is not a stitch up to clear the case and prove it's not Thai related. I'm not saying it is. I'm not speculating. But TIT. Maybe the widow will later confirm to the police.

Apparently she has, if that is correct. In which case, well done BIB

It's becoming a little clearer with this link Video: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ex/7961408.stm

Obviously what happened to that British couple is horrible to say the least but these are the times we are living in. If you walk into a ghetto wearing a Rolex your asking for trouble.S.E.Asian waters,particularly Sth Thailand and Malacca straits, have been for centuries the most notorious pirate hangouts in the world.Add to that depleted fishing stocks,Burma going into meltdown and harrasment of Burmese nationals and you have a dangerous mix for foreigners wishing to live their dream of sailing the world(unprotected).I know that back home in Australia the navy comes across pirates often in our Northern waters and there have been a number of yachts that have no crew left on board or attacked.My advice,stay on terra ferma and play tennis or golf,...more fun. I have taken many risks but only in business not with my life.

Firstly let me say RIP for Mr Robertson and my heart goes out to to Mrs Robertson for what must have been an absolutely terrifying experience.

Let me also add that having sailed in the area for nearly 20 years, I have never heard of something similar happening. As others have said, it is an absolutely beautiful area to sail in and in my experience, the locals have always been extremely friendly and helpful, far more so than around Phuket.

I do hope that justice is done in this case.

No one is safe anywhere these days.

Violence and murder can happen to us all.

It’s just a case of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Call it fate if you like.

A very tragic affair and in life we all live in fear of such things happening to us or our love ones.

Hope the perpetrators are made to rot in hel_l.

piratesbook.jpg

which is about pirates plundering passing ships off Tarutao.... an island in Satun province... during WW II.

Coincidently enough, I have the book sitting right here at my desk. One of my bookkeepers gave it to me.

My thoughts are with the victim's family and friends.

For a broader picture it is perhaps about time something serious is done about Burma (not myanmar for me) as their citizens looking for survival are more desperate than ever and threaten the whole south-east asian countries

BS !!!!!!!

murders are daily occurance in other south-east asian countries as well.........and mainly amogst their own citizens.....frequency-wise, number-wise.......

this particular one took place in a third country where foreign tourists were involved and migrant workers happens to be prime suspects..... straightforward criminal case nevertheless ..... why nationalities of suspects such an issue to you?

how about thais killing foreigners.......shall something serious be done before thailand becomes a threat to the rest of the world?

piratesbook.jpg

You might be interested to know that most of the pirates in that book were mostly British prisoners of war. One group of prisoners against the other in the end. They were running out of food. The book is based around a true story from World War two.

With respect to the deceased, i too think they were naive to sail alone in Satun, which has always been known as a hot spot, it certainly looked like a beautiful yacht, maybe we will learn more about the couple soon

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Satun isnt a hot spot. it is one of the questest freindliest towns in the south - on the west coast. I have Thai friends that live down there that run a sucessful slipway that handles heaps of expat boats and has a expat comunity of workers at the yard. Also they rebuilt a classic 1996 British yacht there that was owned by Lord Dunraven - call Cariad - look up the website.

I have sailed these waters including Satun which is near Langkawi Island Malaysia. Lots of expats leave their cars at Satun jetty parking lot for a week when they drive down from Phuket to Saturn to cat the ferry to Langkawi.

This is a isolated incident and the first I have heard of in the area - and I have been sailing here for nearly 14 years a lot of time on my own and have been into Satun plenty of times and along that coast.

Where did you get your information to substanciate " always been known as a hot spot" out of a Corn Flakes packet. :o

piratesbook.jpg

< SPOILERS deleted >

Yes, it's a good and interesting book.

Ships going around Somalia are encouraged to have a couple of snipers on deck at all times, to pick off the pirates in fast inflatables. On a big ship, it's easy to hit your target; from an inflatable at speed, bloody near impossible.

In the interest of setting things straight, merchant ships are not allowed to carry weapons to arm the crew. International laws and all that...

BS !!!!!!!

murders are daily occurance in other south-east asian countries as well.........and mainly amogst their own citizens.....frequency-wise, number-wise.......

this particular one took place in a third country where foreign tourists were involved and migrant workers happens to be prime suspects..... straightforward criminal case nevertheless ..... why nationalities of suspects such an issue to you?

how about thais killing foreigners.......shall something serious be done before thailand becomes a threat to the rest of the world?

It is not bullshit. Take the time to read what the poster is saying.

The peoples of poor countries will resort to these criminal/terrorist activities. This is basic economics. History confirms. If Burma were more democratic and not so poor these activities would be fewer. That is what the poster is saying. This is not bullshit. Please post constructively if you post at all. Cliches went out with the plague (sic) !!

Quote from lizard of oz.

You might be interested to know that most of the pirates in that book were mostly British prisoners of war. One group of prisoners against the other in the end. They were running out of food. The book is based around a true story from World War two.

I bet you are the same person that tells people the ending of films to !!

Update:

Fishermen kill British yachtsman

Tourist hacked to death in botched robbery

SATUN: -- Three Burmese fisherฌmen hijacked a yacht off the Satun coast on Monday and killed its owner - an elderly British national - before being arฌrested by local police.

The suspects - identified merely as Ek, 18; Ow, 19; and Ko, 20 - narrowly escaped a mob attack by angry Thai touristbusiness operators when brought to La Ngu police station.

Body thrown overboard

The search for the body of Malcolm Robertson, 64, which was thrown overฌboard, continued all day yesterday. The crimes took place at around 5pm on Monday and police report that the suspects have confessed.

Quoting the victim's wife, Linda, police said their yacht "Mister Mean" was boarded by the three suspects, who tried to steal its rubber dinghy. Robertson confronted them and was hacked to death.

The suspects identified themselves as crew members of the fishing trawler Wichai 6, which had been anchored close to Mister Mean. The British couple had been on their way to Langkawi in Malaysia.

Provincial authorities have requested extra police and Navy patrols in the area.

-- The Nation 2009-03-25

At the end of the video clip it looks like some Thai man tried to punch one of the perpetrators while the police were transferring him on land.

I wonder why, they don't like the Burmese nationals? Affects the tourism trade maybe... Would they do it to a fellow Thai if it was he who committed the crime?

Yes they would I watched a you tube video of a car crash here in thailand where a car rammed into the back of a pick up truck while rescue workers were loading a motorbike on the back of it a horrific crash he just ploughed into the pick up trucj apparently the guy hit lost his legs

Anyway while the cops cuffed the driver the friends of the injured one kept trying to attack the guy and got in a few good punches before the cops gained control