Is The Dalai Lama Too Political

MeetJohnDoe

There was an interesting letter in today's Bangkok Post making the argument that the Dalai Lama is making himself (or being made) the leader of a political movement (settling the issue of Tibet's relationship with the PRC) and not being the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism he is made out to be. The author of the letter said the Dalai Lama must choose either the role of a political personage or a spiritual leader but could not be both.

I too have been having the same feelings recently. It seems to me the DL is getting much too political, especially with his recent comments that Tibetans have been living in "hel_l [like]" conditions since the Chinese occupation Tibet. I get very leary when religious leaders (whether Christian, Moslem, Jewish, Hindu, or whatever) start to insert themselves in politics. I also get a little tired or Western leaders josstling to get a pic with the DL in order to gain favor with his "new age" followers in their countries. I support the S. African's denial of a visa for travel to their upcoming poverty summit as it's likely he'll just continue to rail on on the Tibet issue rather than the focus of the meeting.

DM...stay in your temple and lead your followers in their quest for enlightment but leave the politics to others.

What say you?

There was an interesting letter in today's Bangkok Post making the argument that the Dalai Lama is making himself (or being made) the leader of a political movement (settling the issue of Tibet's relationship with the PRC) and not being the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism he is made out to be. The author of the letter said the Dalai Lama must choose either the role of a political personage or a spiritual leader but could not be both.

I too have been having the same feelings recently. It seems to me the DL is getting much too political, especially with his recent comments that Tibetans have been living in "hel_l [like]" conditions since the Chinese occupation Tibet. I get very leary when religious leaders (whether Christian, Moslem, Jewish, Hindu, or whatever) start to insert themselves in politics. I also get a little tired or Western leaders josstling to get a pic with the DL in order to gain favor with his "new age" followers in their countries. I support the S. African's denial of a visa for travel to their upcoming poverty summit as it's likely he'll just continue to rail on on the Tibet issue rather than the focus of the meeting.

DM...stay in your temple and lead your followers in their quest for enlightment but leave the politics to others.

What say you?

With all due respect, I think you are bringing a very Western perspective to this and missing a key point. Beginning in the 17th century, and continuing on to his flight in 1959, the Dalai Lama was BOTH the religious leader of much of Tibetan Buddhism, as well as the political leader of the Tibetan government in Lhasa. That is not the fault of the current Dalai Lama -- the two formal roles preceded his ascension by some 300 years.

In the West we often see the mixing of secular politics and religion as a problem. Yet, when you think of it, in the East -- including Thailand -- the two often operate hand in hand.

• 2 months later...

His Holiness The Dalai Lama is concerned about the freedom, peace and happiness of the six million Tibetan people and the future of the most precious, profound culture in the world, which preserves the entire teaching of the Buddha: both the Lesser Vehicle and the Great Vehicle Sutra and Secret Mantra. Even though some evil beings criticize His Holiness The Dalai Lama, unlike common people and even other religious leaders, He only benefits them in return.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama also cherishes deeply the Chinese Communists. He is greatly concerned about their sufferings and always prays for their freedom, peace and happiness. If the Chinese government used H.H. The Dalai Lama to communicate with and help their people, there would be incredible benefit in terms of peace and happiness. Like the rising sun, millions of Chinese would receive unbelievable peace and happiness from His Holiness The Dalai Lama

His Holiness The Dalai Lama, the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet, was ranked the most respected leader, generally by a wide margin in every country, What it says is that the world is yearning for an, if not religious, at least a humanistic approach that puts religion - or if you will, care and concern for one's fellow man - at the top of the agenda," Scowcroft said. Others ranked near the bottom were Putin, Assad, Fidel Castro of Cuba, Hugo Chávez ofVenezuela, Dmitri Medvedev of Russia and Hu Jintao of China.

This is a religious issue for Tibetan people, even after 50 years the devotion to His Holiness The Dalai Lama is as strong as ever. He is not only their King but he is also their Spiritual Guru. He is their inspiration and hope. They will never give up even if it takes hundreds of years. With truth, Courage and Determination, Tibet will be free again

Edited by chen168

It would be easier for the Dalai Lama to be taken seriously as a spiritual teacher if his mind was not clouded by political issues. To give him credit though, it must be difficult for him to escape attachment in this political endeavor. I've always felt that the Chinese are very likely to give Tibet back to the Tibetans, just as soon as the United States gives California and Texas back to Mexico.

Despite all the nonsense about the Tibetans quest for an eternal Israeli-type homeland, I still find many of the Dalai Lama's pop books on Buddhism interesting and well written for a quick read.

Why is he afraid of catterpillars. Seems strange considering they are very symbolic of reincarnation

Why does he consider George Bush to be a good man and a very good friend. Seems strange considering he is symbolizes evil to many

Edited by deprogrammed

Why does he consider George Bush to be a good man and a very good friend. Seems strange considering he is symbolizes evil to many

I think you and Chen through around the word "evil" very easily.

I think you mean throw my child! Where does Chen refer to evil - can you read

Edited by deprogrammed

He is their inspiration and hope.

This is not exactly an advantage. What will they do when he is gone?

They will never give up even if it takes hundreds of years. With truth, Courage and Determination, Tibet will be free again

Let's hope so, but it will be difficult after the ethnic dilution of Tibet has been achieved in the same way (actually much worse) that the Chinese did it in Inner Mongolia.

BTW, if anyone is looking for fiction-based-on-fact novels about Tibet, I highly recommend Eliot Pattison's Shan Tao Yun series.

I think the majority of Tibetans, certainly the overwhelming majority of Tibetans in exile, expect the Dalai Lama to function as both spiritual and political leader of the Tibetan people. Buddhism and Tibetan nationality/ethnicity are inseparable and the DL is at the head of the nation and religion.

There is a Tibetan government-in-exile located at Dharamsala in northern India. This has a council of ministers and elected representatives, but the Head of State is the Dalai Lama.

I was in Dharamsala in April last year and participated in some of the processions, prayers and addresses to the people (by monks - the DL was not in town at the time). My impression was that the DL is an important voice for conciliation and, although he is respected by Tibetans as their leader, there is an opposition movement that regards his views on the resolution of the Tibet issue as too conciliatory. The DL accepts the fact that Tibet is and will remain a part of China, in contrast to the Free Tibet movement. He also welcomed Beijing's right to host the Olympics. He just wants the PRC government to stop the cultural genocide and the killings in Tibet. That is my understanding anyway.

I think the majority of Tibetans, certainly the overwhelming majority of Tibetans in exile, expect the Dalai Lama to function as both spiritual and political leader of the Tibetan people. Buddhism and Tibetan nationality/ethnicity are inseparable and the DL is at the head of the nation and religion.

There is a Tibetan government-in-exile located at Dharamsala in northern India. This has a council of ministers and elected representatives, but the Head of State is the Dalai Lama.

Attachment to such trivialities as nationality or ethnicity impede the seeker on his path. May all be free of the bondage of these illusory and very painful ego identities.

Attachment to such trivialities as nationality or ethnicity impede the seeker on his path. May all be free of the bondage of these illusory and very painful ego identities.

Nationality is illusory? Nationality decides, in many cases, whether or not you are allowed to follow your personal spiritual path.

Nationality is illusory? Nationality decides, in many cases, whether or not you are allowed to follow your personal spiritual path.

One can reach liberation in prison. Google, meditation in prison for world experiences, fascinating!

One can reach liberation in prison. Google, meditation in prison for world experiences, fascinating!

Of course. But you are speaking long-term. If the Chinese government is successful, they can nearly wipe out the traditional teachings of Buddhism in parts of their country. Keep in mind that the vast majority of people live the religion in which they are raised.

You also have to live through prison to practice meditation in prison. Most people may not be as exemplary in spirit as you indicate.

Of course. But you are speaking long-term. If the Chinese government is successful, they can nearly wipe out the traditional teachings of Buddhism in parts of their country. Keep in mind that the vast majority of people live the religion in which they are raised.

You also have to live through prison to practice meditation in prison. Most people may not be as exemplary in spirit as you indicate.

The less that humans in the Tibetan region attach themselves to a particular nationality or ethnicity, the more wil be their opportunities to truly follow the practices suggested in the Buddha's teachings. The more they attach themselves to an Israeli style identification with religion and particular geographical location the more stress will prevail.

Quite true. It only takes a couple of generations to change the way a nation believe. And the Chinese government is good at it. It's a race against time if they want to preserve the Tibetan way of living.

Most of the young Chinese I have known are not religious. Some views their parents' belief as nonsense.

And a bit off topic, one who works with me didn't even know wikipedia. Probably she didn't try to circumvent the system. But majority would just accept what they know. I was surprised at how effective the government is at controlling information within their own state.

Edited by agent69

The less that humans in the Tibetan region attach themselves to a particular nationality or ethnicity, the more wil be their opportunities to truly follow the practices suggested in the Buddha's teachings.

I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but I can almost imagine a Chinese Communist saying exactly the same thing.

Are you going to next sing "Imagine"?

Here's the choice they have. To choose being Tibetan or be forced to be Chinese.