Keep Or Quit B.ed?

Bunnysgal

That's right if he's got a WP and is earning less than 40K he'll still be able to get his Visa extended year after year as long as he keeps his job!

Err I thought you said he had a degree in the teachers room? If not it will be a lot harder to get a WP!

Go to the teachers room and I'll answer your school questions there!

Thanks again ken :-)

Well yes now he's studying for this B.Ed (teaching Eng) in the Netherlands, but he just not sure if he should quit it and get other degree or not. Cose personally, he wouldn't want to teach dutch students (but he wouldn't mind teaching thai students who come to Eng school cose they really wanna learn, not cose of being obligated to study like those kids in Holland). So the important thing we wanna know and be sure bout is ... if this B. Ed degree would mean sth great & value in Thailand, and will help him & me to be able to stay together by getting a good job with WP (or any level of job with WP) teacher license and all that?? If so, then he might consider continuing what he's studying now.

So ...hmm any advice?

:o

addition : Yes he got college diploma and now studying for a B. Ed

will the B.Ed degree makes it easy for him to get a job (say ..at International school or English programmed or sth like that) and WP and license?

Or other B.A. will do too?

And i also red one article that said ... if your degree (either B.A or B. Ed)'s printed in other language than Eng. Then the MOE will make it very difficult for school to obtain a teacher license for you. Is that true?? Cose I suppose when he grad, his degree will be in dutch.

He has to make the decision whether to quit or go on with this B.Ed. in a week.

Help please :o

Edited by Bunnysgal

Well in the long run if he wants to make a career out of teaching and live in Thailand full-time I'd advise him to finish it personally! Although if there's any way he can finish it while here (which I doubt) that might be something worth considering?

No, I don't think that is true about the MoE, it's not hard to get an official translation anyway!

Happy to help (if I have!).

:-)

Hmm i don't think there's any way he can finish it while here.

What bout .. he moved to study here in Thailand? Say .. international program at government University for a B.A in English? Get non-immi (Ed) visa and study here? Will it make him qualify for a long -run too?

Bunny, he'll be better off with a Dutch B.Ed anywhere in the world than with no degree or with a Thai degree. Being here without a degree and without enough money to finish one is a bad idea compared to finishing the degree at home. Having a Thai degree definitely takes 2nd place to having a Dutch one. Exactly how much does it change his chances or his luck here? Nobody knows! You're just going to have to estimate your risks based on what little help we can give, and either stay there or come out here. If you're asking for advice, I'd say stay there and finish the B.Ed. But I've done silly things before, so maybe coming out would be ok, too! Good luck either way.

I don't know you know, a Thai degree in education might help a fair bit for you to find work here (I mean it means you've gone through the system yourself....although I'm trying to work out if this is a good or bad thing!), but certainly outside of Thailand the Dutch one would carry more weight!

How long as he got left to do before he finishes?

Bunnysgal, I thought you were confusing me before with the phrase "he has a diploma but not a degree." In North america, both secondary 'graduation' and university 4-year graduation result in the issuance of a diploma, but it's the uni one that says "Bachelor of ---" after 3.5 to 4 years of study that really counts.

The conventional wisdom for over 100 years has been that if you're well on your way to a university degree (a BA, BS, or B.Ed), try to finish it. Oh well, if everybody says that, maybe it's wrong. No, in the field of education, that degree always makes a big difference.

I wanted to study the christian ministry of education; they said I had to have a BA/BS to go to graduate seminary. When I wanted a good job in the national govt, that BA was my ticket straight up the career ladder. When I got to Thailand, that ancient BA was my ticket once again. Many times, the employers don't care your major was in the ornithology of the Hebrides; they just want a bachelor's.

Some people have a tough time finishing their bachelor's degree and want an excuse to get an easy way out. Make him stay through to the end. Don't marry a quitter.