Immigration Arrest Foreigners On Money Forgery Charges

george

Police arrest foreigners on money forgery charges

BANGKOK: -- The Police Immigration Bureau yesterday announced the arrest of two African men and the recovery of money-forging tools and blank black-coloured papers resembling US dollar banknotes worth Bt2.12 billion.

A 36-year-old Guinean man, Shoma Mohamed Ramai, and accomplice Edwin Smith,35, from Botswana were arrested at a hotel room in Bangkok's Ratchada Resort Hotel, said the bureau's deputy chief Pol Maj General Pitak Jarusombat.

The duo allegedly tried to lure two Korean tourists to buy the special tools and chemicals that could turn the black paper into usable banknotes.

Pitak said the two suspects told police they were tourists to Thailand who got the tools and chemicals from other persons, whom they declined to identify. Police initially cancelled their visas, prepared for their repatriation and blacklisted them from re-entering Thailand, he said. However, if the Korean tourists filed a police complaint against the duo, they would face fraud charges.

The Korean tourists told police they were fooled by a money-forging gang once before in which they lost 120 million won (Bt3.2million) and recently Korean compatriots sold them golden-coloured lead items as real gold.

Pitak urged tourists to beware of similar frauds.

-- The Nation 2009-03-27

I think the two koreans need to retire from crime, first buying gold painted lead thinking it was real gold and now the black paper, it seems these guys will buy anything. mmmmmmmmm that gives me an idea, where are they staying? :o I might sell them Rama 8 Bridge

I think the two koreans need to retire from crime, first buying gold painted lead thinking it was real gold and now the black paper, it seems these guys will buy anything. mmmmmmmmm that gives me an idea, where are they staying? :o I might sell them Rama 8 Bridge

Sorry, I've already sold the road surface as a special chemical to turn lead into gold and the superstructure as a get away jet if they chant the right password. I'm awaiting payment on the password as we speak.

BANGKOK: -- The Police Immigration Bureau yesterday announced the arrest of two African men and the recovery of money-forging tools and blank black-coloured papers resembling US dollar banknotes worth Bt2.12 billion.

A 36-year-old Guinean man, Shoma Mohamed Ramai, and accomplice Edwin Smith,35, from Botswana were arrested at a hotel room in Bangkok's Ratchada Resort Hotel, said the bureau's deputy chief Pol Maj General Pitak Jarusombat.

The duo allegedly tried to lure two Korean tourists to buy the special tools and chemicals that could turn the black paper into usable banknotes.

Pitak said the two suspects told police they were tourists to Thailand who got the tools and chemicals from other persons, whom they declined to identify. Police initially cancelled their visas, prepared for their repatriation and blacklisted them from re-entering Thailand, he said. However, if the Korean tourists filed a police complaint against the duo, they would face fraud charges.

-- The Nation 2009-03-27

Hang on a min. We are talking multiple crimes here yet the last paragraph states that the initial action was cancelled visas and deportation with a strike against their names yet we have a Brit (Simon) who spent 3 weeks in a Thai dungeon for stating in no unclear terms that he is not stupid! Something is very, very wrong here! Do we smell fish?

-- The Nation 2009-03-27

Hang on a min. We are talking multiple crimes here yet the last paragraph states that the initial action was cancelled visas and deportation with a strike against their names yet we have a Brit (Simon) who spent 3 weeks in a Thai dungeon for stating in no unclear terms that he is not stupid! Something is very, very wrong here! Do we smell fish?

I suspect the two Koreans were polite, if somewhat dim.

The Korean tourists told police they were fooled by a money-forging gang once before in which they lost 120 million won (Bt3.2million) and recently Korean compatriots sold them golden-coloured lead items as real gold.

-- The Nation 2009-03-27

Hilarious. Don't we all just go around buying forging equipment when we're on holiday for B3.2m......how the Koreans had the gumph to admit that as a point in their favour I don't know....

You can't, I sold it to them a week ago. :D

Don't make too much joke with the 2 Koreans, In Europe even big bussiness man felt for the same trick, and many time they got awaybecause they don't go to the police with it, because its almost always black money they hide from taxes. A few years ago even a member of parliamenent thought he could get rich that way.

Isn't this what all "quality" tourists go to Thailand for? Take in the sights, visit the beach, sample the food, a cultural show or two and buy a master forger's printing set from a couple of African gentlemen. All part of Thailand's rich cultural tapestry. :o

Isn't this what all "quality" tourists go to Thailand for? Take in the sights, visit the beach, sample the food, a cultural show or two and buy a master forger's printing set from a couple of African gentlemen. All part of Thailand's rich cultural tapestry. :o

They are still lucky they not yet meet some other African gentleman from Ghana who call themselves Marabou. They master black magic, they can put a spell on somebody, bring you love one back, can cure you from cancer, tell the future and bring you fortune in business.

Its not seldom they get paid millions by gullible people.

It might seem light hearted and a joke, however, anything you write in public domain is admissable in court, you shoukd be careful about what you write.... easy to be arrested ofr such a claim... food for thought.....

Aren't the two Korean Tourists as guilty as the crooks???????

YEP!

For what? Because somebody tried to lure them into doing something illegal? Hey, wanna buy some pirated DVD's? Now you are guilty too. Right?

-- The Nation 2009-03-27

Hilarious. Don't we all just go around buying forging equipment when we're on holiday for B3.2m......how the Koreans had the gumph to admit that as a point in their favour I don't know....

Maybe because being duped by somebody with forged money isn't a crime, and it doesn't specify they committed any crime. And does not say they attempted to purchase forging equipment for B3.2m either. Pay attention to the details, details, details.

I've had people try to exchange cash with me for a rate that was in my favor by about 25%, I wanted to, but I didn't do it because I could not verify the cash was legitimate. I'm sure somebody else did though. Later I heard about an arrest where those caught in possession of counterfeit currency claimed they bought/exchanged it from someone else and thought it was real.

When you have money, people coming to you with these kind of "deals" is rather common. Just because you may play with small amounts of money, doesn't mean everybody does.

Edited by johnefallis

They are still lucky they not yet meet some other African gentleman from Ghana who call themselves Marabou. They master black magic, they can put a spell on somebody, bring you love one back, can cure you from cancer, tell the future and bring you fortune in business.

but not obtain a work permit or visa extension :o

It might seem light hearted and a joke, however, anything you write in public domain is admissable in court, you shoukd be careful about what you write.... easy to be arrested ofr such a claim... food for thought.....

by whom and in what country would have the balls to do that unless of course you are still in thailand

They make the rain fall too in times of drought. I believe them. I've used them a couple of times when my tea crop back in Africa was drying out due to drought. Dashed to Ghana, got me the best 'Marabou', flew him back home, made him fix the problem, got some rain and voila! :o

Edited by Africanteacher

Aren't the two Korean Tourists as guilty as the crooks???????

Reminds me of a Thai woman, years ago who went to the police to report thieves who ran off with her real money that she gave them for counterfeit money....

So what happens when one rubs these bits of black paper, does it turn into actual currancy?

Reminds me of the genie and the magic lamp.

Maybe the Koreans weren’t arrested because they had real money to buy themselves out of trouble.

Try purchasing your shopping at Tesco Lotus with black pieces of paper and see how far you’re get.

Edited by sassienie