"farang Girls Phuket" On Facebook

Manda

Sounds like a good idea, but can I say please, about the term , " Farang".

I think it's racist as it means " Caucasian"

Thais don't call foreigners from other Asian countries by this term, only western, white skinned people.

And I am assuming other races are allowed to join your group ?

And presumably fully grown women, referred to as " Girls" really panders to the idea, and the resultant language usage- that being a "woman" is somehow undesirable, adult females should all aspire to be " Girls" ( i.e. young and sexually attractive.)

For perspective on the wide use of this term, " girls", ( I know it's totally acceptable, but that is what worries me,)

would a group of males of the same age as yourselves call themselves , "... Boys Club ?"

I know your club is about fun, but when I see these terms propagated, I have to speak up.

How about the Foreign Women's club?

Good luck

CFIT

I dont think the OP wants to sit about with a bunch of coffin dodgers knitting, making jam and talking about the war ?

Lighten up on the wording as well. Who cares if they want to start a girls club. As for being called Farang ? So what ! It has never been said to me in a negative way in all the time I have been here. :)

i agree dunc, what a twot !,i expect hes sat on the pc smokin a pipe with a flat cap on,! lol :D:D

If he's a TWOT ! as you put it, then you are a **a* and an ignorant one to boot, you shouldn't be ridiculing older people, show some respect to your elders, many of us have fought in wars so *** like you have the freedom of speech, some people just have no idea how to use that freedom without having a go at someone.

I think it's a great idea for the ladies, it will be a great way of finding out about Thailand and making some friends.

• 1 month later...

Thais don't call foreigners from other Asian countries by this term, only western, white skinned people.

And presumably fully grown women, referred to as " Girls" really panders to the idea, and the resultant language usage- that being a "woman" is somehow undesirable, adult females should all aspire to be " Girls" ( i.e. young and sexually attractive.)

For perspective on the wide use of this term, " girls", ( I know it's totally acceptable, but that is what worries me,)

would a group of males of the same age as yourselves call themselves , "... Boys Club ?"

I know your club is about fun, but when I see these terms propagated, I have to speak up.

Good luck

CFIT

Political correctness gone mad. This is one thing that I dont miss about the UK. I can put up with the Thai racism etc etc but Please dont try and force political correectness on us in the LOS.

• 2 weeks later...

I a way s/he's correct. Thais are blatantly racist they call any African originated people Negros , not Fer/lang

Good luck

CFIT

Farang doesnt mean Caucasian, it means westerner. Its a general term. The way it can be said can sound racist, but its not a negative word (imo). Just, if someone were to say "Men!" or "Women!" in a derogatory way, it could be deemed sexist. Personally the term farang doesnt bother me in the slightest (..but when my bf says "women!" doesnt bother me either.) I guess its down to what you infer the meaning to be. Sometimes people can be too paranoid or sensitive when there really is no need to be. Anyway, if you go to the general forum, there are a lot of ongoing threads about the term "farang". I lost interest in reading it because i just dont care, but, it you may find it helpful/interesting.

As for the "girl" comment. Doesnt bother me either. Personally I find it quite endearing and cute. Ive also heard men call themselves boys and have heard and used the expression "boys night out/girls night out" in the UK.

I personally cant quite understand why any of these terms bothers some people so much, but of course its your choice. Just think its really not as big a deal or as negative as you may think.

farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang

No, Farang is only used about westerners.

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Westerner ; Caucasian ; "farang"

Western

The origin of the use of the term ฝรั่ง to describe all white-skinned Westerners remains somewhat uncertain. Some speculate that it's a derivation of ฝรั่งเศส ("France/French"), from a time of early French links with the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, which caused Thais at the time to view "white man" and "Frenchman" as interchangeable. But given that the French were far from the first Europeans to Ayutthaya - arriving 150 years after the Portuguese, and at least 50 years after the Spanish, Dutch and British - this theory seems somewhat unlikely.

The alternative and most well supported theory seems to be that it's a word the Thais picked up from early dealings with Middle Eastern traders, and that it's a derivation of "farangi", a Persian word for foreigners or the similar "farenghi" (Hindi) or "faranji" (Arabic). All are ultimately thought to have come from the Franks, the ancient empire that ruled over substantial parts of Western Europe.

Source: thai2english

Thank you, an informed reply. Actually, having lived here for very many years, I still find the term 'farang' uncomfortable in some circumstances, particularly when I understand what is being said and when I also understand that I am being singled out as different. I totally understand the term and use it myself, where applicable. I do think that earlier posters were merely pointing out small facts that they didn't agree with and were not given the time to try to explain themselves.

Having said that, I also think that some of the previous posters also need to just relax and stop getting upset about things they feel/hear as inappropriate. hel_l, don't join the group if you don't want to be seen as going on a 'girls' night out'. If you don't want to be called that...don't. But let others speak freely.

Jaiyen sisters. Jaiyen...live and let live, why don't you?

Good luck

CFIT

I dont think the OP wants to sit about with a bunch of coffin dodgers knitting, making jam and talking about the war ?

Lighten up on the wording as well. Who cares if they want to start a girls club. As for being called Farang ? So what ! It has never been said to me in a negative way in all the time I have been here. :)

Well lets face it we are all coffin dodgers,at any age!

Good luck

CFIT

I dont get this post????

so girls mean young and attractive,i know many youngish ladies and some are very ugly.

I dont get this thread:

Say anything vaguely like you disagree, in a polite manner and the "girls" delete your post.Seems a highly touchy club to me.

I called my "80-90 something" year young auntie "girl" all the time when I was 20-30-40 something.. She was born in 1897..

I met her after my uncle died when I was just a young "lad" of 28... she was always my "auntie" but we always called her "girl" and she was never offended. She passed away at 103 in 2000. My mom was also call "girl" all her life by my dad as well and she is still "my girl" at 91 this year. she is not or ever has been offended by that term.

"Jumping the sexual fence" as I am a soon to be 63 years young.. my so-called Thai girlfriend of 31 calls me her "boyfriend" all the time and I love it.. in fact all the dames call me their "boyfriend" since I was a mere lad running with the mod rockers of my early days in London, Paris, and all points west in the 60's, 70's and 80's..

It is only a word.. "kiddies" So, why all the steam?? It makes many people much feel better.. so why not..

YOU ALL GO GIRLS

And yes.. they all are HOT.. all races and in all colors and all girls.. LONG LIVE Hugh Hefner...

Good luck

CFIT

GET A LIFE

Good luck

CFIT

Now that sounds like "the grannies rotary club" or something.

I prefer the Farang Girls name (not that i am a girl so maybe i dont have the right to air a view)

But it does sound more fun than "Foreign Women's Club" such a name makes me think of people knitting and growing petunias than meeting up for fun times.

Anyway farang is not a racist word it is us who feel sometimes offended when in Thailand we always have to hear ourselves referred to as such. But this is one of the Cultural differences here; namely that a head waiter in a European restaurant would tell the waiters "take this soup and give it to that man, take this spaghetti and give it to that woman" etc - whereas in Thailand it would be

"take the noodles and give it to the Black man, the fried rice to the Farang, the curry and give it to that Japanese, and give this plate to that "him over there" (the thai one) - they might just also say "and give this to the Thai person" too. In Thailand it is common to always refer to a persons race or ethnicity.

There is no deliberate racial hate involved. it is just that Nationality is seen as something very integral to one's identity.

So i find "Farang Women to be an apt term. Seeing as that's what the group is formed of.

farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Western

The origin of the use of the term ฝรั่ง to describe all white-skinned Westerners remains somewhat uncertain. Some speculate that it's a derivation of ฝรั่งเศส ("France/French"), from a time of early French links with the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, which caused Thais at the time to view "white man" and "Frenchman" as interchangeable. But given that the French were far from the first Europeans to Ayutthaya - arriving 150 years after the Portuguese, and at least 50 years after the Spanish, Dutch and British - this theory seems somewhat unlikely.

The alternative and most well supported theory seems to be that it's a word the Thais picked up from early dealings with Middle Eastern traders, and that it's a derivation of "farangi", a Persian word for foreigners or the similar "farenghi" (Hindi) or "faranji" (Arabic). All are ultimately thought to have come from the Franks, the ancient empire that ruled over substantial parts of Western Europe.

----------------------------------

Yes you are right! Some additional info.... As you said only white people is Falang. Black people is called "Nicko" for the rest of Asia with Asian looks = SMALL EYES.... they are not being called Falang, they are named after their repr. country i.e. South Korea, Nippon etc etc...

Glegolo

To add more to this list, Indian Subcontinent people, Malays, Indonesians, Arabs etc are called Khaek meaning guest which is about as unpejorative racial term as you can imagine. Chinese, usually Thai Chinese, as referred to as Jek meaning elder brother or sister in Taechew, also an unpejorative term. So together with farang, probably meaning French, Thai colloquial terms for different races are rather polite. Negro is perhaps, an exception, but to be fair it was copied from farangs, probably Americans, when it was common in the US to refer to black people as "nigras". Good luck to the Chicky Net and feel free to use non-PC language to distinguish yourselves from the impossibly stuffy and snobbish International Women's Club of Thailand.

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Western

----------------------------------

Yes you are right! Some additional info.... As you said only white people is Falang. Black people is called "Nicko" for the rest of Asia with Asian looks = SMALL EYES.... they are not being called Falang, they are named after their repr. country i.e. South Korea, Nippon etc etc...

Glegolo

To add more to this list, Indian Subcontinent people, Malays, Indonesians, Arabs etc are called Khaek meaning guest which is about as unpejorative racial term as you can imagine. Chinese, usually Thai Chinese, as referred to as Jek meaning elder brother or sister in Taechew, also an unpejorative term. So together with farang, probably meaning French, Thai colloquial terms for different races are rather polite. Negro is perhaps, an exception, but to be fair it was copied from farangs, probably Americans, when it was common in the US to refer to black people as "nigras". Good luck to the Chicky Net and feel free to use non-PC language to distinguish yourselves from the impossibly stuffy and snobbish International Women's Club of Thailand.

I've met a few women from the International Women's Club (or whatever the name is), and they were NOT stuffy or snobbish! I didn't 'join the club' as clubs are not my cup of tea - but to slag ALL members off in that way is unfair.

Chicky Net is another good idea. I know a few members and they are v nice. Horses for courses - choice is a great thing.