Thai Air Joke Prices

Cromarty

I'm booking flights to return to France in the summer, just after the cheap prices end unfortunately. Generally the prices are around 140,000 for 4 of us, with a slight discount for the kids. So I though I would try the national carrier of the LOS to compare the prices. So I get to the screen that comes with the first price and 130,000 shows up. Wow I thought, at last they are on a levelish standing with the others. Tax to add, but even if it comes out at another 20,000 I would probably book with Thai airways. But wait, on clicking the next screen I find that it isn't 130,000 for the family, but EACH! :o:D

The grand total with wonderful Thai flying economy is 490,480.00 THB

are they having a laugh! They deserve to go bankrupt with these sorts of prices.

I'm booking flights to return to France in the summer, just after the cheap prices end unfortunately. Generally the prices are around 140,000 for 4 of us, with a slight discount for the kids. So I though I would try the national carrier of the LOS to compare the prices. So I get to the screen that comes with the first price and 130,000 shows up. Wow I thought, at last they are on a levelish standing with the others. Tax to add, but even if it comes out at another 20,000 I would probably book with Thai airways. But wait, on clicking the next screen I find that it isn't 130,000 for the family, but EACH! :D:D

are they having a laugh! They deserve to go bankrupt with these sorts of prices.

With only 30 or so of you on the plane, the fuel has to be paid for by someone :o . Thai Airways, Thai economics.

I'm booking flights to return to France in the summer, just after the cheap prices end unfortunately. Generally the prices are around 140,000 for 4 of us, with a slight discount for the kids. So I though I would try the national carrier of the LOS to compare the prices. So I get to the screen that comes with the first price and 130,000 shows up. Wow I thought, at last they are on a levelish standing with the others. Tax to add, but even if it comes out at another 20,000 I would probably book with Thai airways. But wait, on clicking the next screen I find that it isn't 130,000 for the family, but EACH! :D:D

With only 30 or so of you on the plane, the fuel has to be paid for by someone :o . Thai Airways, Thai economics.

I payed 32000 with thai airways economy class round trip, service is better than most of other companies I tried before, bussines class on the new aircrafts (on the old ones is not so comfortable) is even more good experience.

Just checked and didnt find any prices like that for economy. Reads like someome with a chip on his shoulders joining the ranks of other TV members who always bickering about THAI.

Besides on TV, i never meet anyone who has anything real negative to say about THAI.

He is not making it up - I just checked and that is the price on the website thaiairways.com for r/t travel 2 adults and 2 children:

Bangkok to Paris

Flight 1 Friday, May 29, 2009

Departure: 00:05 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Arrival: 07:05 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG930 e

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Economy Restricted

Paris to Bangkok

Flight 1 Monday, June 29, 2009

Departure: 13:40 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1

Arrival: 05:55 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG931 e

Legend:

e = e-ticket option,

THB = Thai Baht

Price

Travellers Flights Taxes

2 adult(s) x (130,365.00 + 8,550.00) = 277,830.00 THB

2 child(ren) x (97,775.00 + 8,550.00) = 212,650.00 THB

total for all travellers 490,480.00 THB

It is April 1st. Will it change tomorrow? Unbelievable.

Edited by lopburi3

anyone who has watched the evolution of the tg website over the years would come away with a consensus that the prices quoted on it are never accurate.

while most websites go low and then add on later to confuse the traveller, tg seems to do the opposite. i would like to think this happens on purpose but sadly, my faith in their ability to think 'outside the box' has been resigned and put down to incompetence.

He is not making it up - I just checked and that is the price on the website thaiairways.com for r/t travel 2 adults and 2 children:
Bangkok to Paris

Flight 1 Friday, May 29, 2009

Departure: 00:05 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Arrival: 07:05 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG930 e

Paris to Bangkok

Flight 1 Monday, June 29, 2009

Departure: 13:40 Paris, France - Charles De Gaulle, terminal 1

Arrival: 05:55 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG931 e

Legend:

e = e-ticket option,

THB = Thai Baht

Price

Travellers Flights Taxes

2 adult(s) x (130,365.00 + 8,550.00) = 277,830.00 THB

2 child(ren) x (97,775.00 + 8,550.00) = 212,650.00 THB

total for all travellers 490,480.00 THB

It is April 1st. Will it change tomorrow? Unbelievable.

I tried key in the same dates, and I get the same as you. April fool joke by TG, I suppose.

With that money, I can buy a cheap car like Proton.

Bangkok to Paris Friday, May 29, 2009

Paris to Bangkok Monday, June 29, 2009

Same dates and almost as crazy a price for Thai air (direct) on bestflights.com.au @ AU$ 12 250 (THB 290 000)

Gulf Air on the same dates were;

Adult Fare 2 $846.45 $1,692.90

Adult Tax 2 $362.70 $725.40

Child Fare 2 $846.45 $1,692.90

Child Tax 2 $362.70 $725.40

Best Flights Service Fee $18.95

Total Price (Australian Dollars): $4,855.55 (THB 115 000)

I just tried it and get 38,555 per passenger. I had run it the other way around, starting Paris and it gave Business class on the way out and economy back for the figures around those quoted by the OP.

My guess is a business class leg was thrown into the orignal attempt. By thrown in I mean economy for one of the flights wasn't available so they quoted business class. A notice at the top of the page will note this.

Edited by Carmine6

Dear Thaieye, I have to say that Thai Airlines are not as good as comparable airlines. I travelled the one non-stop from LHR to BKK on a 747; the seating was cramped, food inedible, the plane itself was in a bit of a state, dirty carpets, toilets out of order, so long queues for the remaining one.

The seats did not have any springs, they also have no stuffing, resulting in a terribly uncomfortable flight. My rear was jamed into the 'bones' of the seat, which was unacceptable.

That why I'd recommend EVA AIR, it's so opposite to Thai Airways. :o

I'm booking flights to return to France in the summer, just after the cheap prices end unfortunately. Generally the prices are around 140,000 for 4 of us, with a slight discount for the kids. So I though I would try the national carrier of the LOS to compare the prices. So I get to the screen that comes with the first price and 130,000 shows up. Wow I thought, at last they are on a levelish standing with the others. Tax to add, but even if it comes out at another 20,000 I would probably book with Thai airways. But wait, on clicking the next screen I find that it isn't 130,000 for the family, but EACH! :o:D

There is a reason for that.

Air France flies BKK-CDG and they release low prices according to their own plans, less reliant on tour operators than TG.

Singapore Airlines goes SIN-CDG and they are at similar level as AF.

SQ has a strong feed from Australia that has no direct flights to Paris and would lose on those booking with Qantas through LHR.

So, are TG insane to offer prices 4 times higher?

Probably not.

Firstly, the prices are NOT higher. They are higher today for distant dates.

Secondly, TG releases their low prices to tour operators in France, while keeping the high ones until 30 days earlier.

There is a whole ecosystem ot tourist agencies that TG, as mostly govenment owned company, has to respect and let them earn their money + money for other in the country (by selling those cheap seats packaged with their add-on tour services that are 2-3 times the ticket).

Secondly, TG stronly depends on tourism and would not want to alienate tour operators in France (who sell seats + accommodation + tours + whatever) by confronting them with low prices available over the Internet well ahead of travel dates.

What the tour operators did not sell 30 days prior to departure, TG releases to the public over the Internet. As simple as that.

Check their prices for travel within 30 days and you will see what I mean.

And why is it so shocking to you? You even asked if business minded people are for real.

To return you the favor, they know "smart shoppers" like you never stop drilling for more and more discounts and hardly ever buy anything no matter what the price is. And they buy no services and are just a nuisance to the entire system. Just reread you post under this light you may understand how much monkey's nuts they give about whingers.

Think Too Much - you made some big assumptions.

1) Summer Pricing, tickets to Europe are always high / full durin july AUGUST september, not much to do with French tourists here as much as French expats returning home.

2) Air France less riliant on tour operators. True but this is more to do with TG not being able to handle online ticketing themselves in a year 2009 way. Compare tg to BA, Air France, Emirates Ethiad and TG's business model is very 1980's.

3) Your SQ / Australia comparison makes no sense at all IMO.

4) You stuff about TG knowing what kind of traveller the OP is -- is rediculous. If they think that way, its no surprise that its in the shape it is. Fortuneately, I doubt TG Commercial Department shares that very narrowed minded view.

1) Summer Pricing, tickets to Europe are always high / full durin july AUGUST september, not much to do with French tourists here as much as French expats returning home.

2) Air France less riliant on tour operators. True but this is more to do with TG not being able to handle online ticketing themselves in a year 2009 way. Compare tg to BA, Air France, Emirates Ethiad and TG's business model is very 1980's.

There are strategies that airlines use for their pricing and availability.

TG is competitive with anyone when they see it fit (just check prices now for travel within 30 days). No need for other talk, just check that.

No? It's the same distance SIN-CDG as BKK-CDG and yet 20% of the price for July when your expats go home...4 times less than TG now. Then I asked why TG has pricing that looks so odd?

4) You stuff about TG knowing what kind of traveller the OP is -- is rediculous. If they think that way, its no surprise that its in the shape it is. Fortuneately, I doubt TG Commercial Department shares that very narrowed minded view.

Narrow minded might be yours. Why did they then TG spent millions $ worth of data warehousing and data mining computer gear? To detect behavioral patterns that narrow narrow minded customers have no idea exist and can be detected. That's what they use when choosing when at and what price they make tickets available on their own web site.

Even amateurs running web sites can monitor and tabulate who came in, what did they see and what did they do (bought). One really has to be narrow minded not to know or just guess that.

Based on clicks and purchases it simply turned out that there is better business let operators do the work until 30 days before flights and then open it to anyone.

Edited by think_too_mut

:D

One simple answer....Don't book a flight with Thai International online. Yes the prices are bad.

Here in Greece, if I go on-line and look for a Thai flight from Athens to BKK and return, they want over 1000 Euro.

Through my local travel agent, I can book the same flight for 700 Euro.

So when I am getting ready for my semi-annual trip to BKK from Athens, I go on-line to check the schedule. I pick the most convenient flight (which might be the direct flight on Thai from Athens to BKK).

Then I go to the travel agant, and ask them to book the flight I picked as the most convenient.

I get a better price in the long run, and the agent does the work.

It's not Rocket Science.

One simple answer....Don't book a flight with Thai International online. Yes the prices are bad.

Here in Greece, if I go on-line and look for a Thai flight from Athens to BKK and return, they want over 1000 Euro.

Through my local travel agent, I can book the same flight for 700 Euro.

So when I am getting ready for my semi-annual trip to BKK from Athens, I go on-line to check the schedule. I pick the most convenient flight (which might be the direct flight on Thai from Athens to BKK).

Then I go to the travel agant, and ask them to book the flight I picked as the most convenient.

I get a better price in the long run, and the agent does the work.

It's not Rocket Science.

Exactly what I am saying.

That same ticket 30 days prior to the departure would be 10-20$ more expensive from TG web site but you get full points (from the discounter almost nothing) and you can choose meals and seats online (with the discounter you can do but ypu have to be there, hard to imagine floor plan over the phone).

Singapore Airlines do that, Japan Airlines, ANA...different rules for different routes and times.

One time when TG was at the same price NRT-BKK-NRT as ANA, I said - for the same money I'll go with ANA. Yes, the money was the same but the tickets were worlds apart:

ANA ticket was fixed, use or lose, no changes, no cancellations, nothing, worse than Air Asia and similar junk.

TG ticket had open return date (1000B to change it). That same kind of ticket on ANA was DOUBLE the TG price.

:o

As somebody pointed out Thai sells many of it's flights through it's relationship with it's agents and tourist agencies. They provide a block of flights to a travel agent, who then sells them to customers. For whatever reason, Thai has done this for years. As I said in another post...it is cheaper here in Greece to purchase a Thai ticket thru an agent, than it is to purchase on-line with Thai International directly.

I don't know why Thai chooses that method....except they have done it for years and have a long-time mutually profitable relationship with the travel agencies that sell their tickets. So I guess they just don't want to change.

I'm willing to bet, that if you go to a travel agent in BKK, you will find a cheaper price for Thai International than you can get for the same flight on-line.

There are strategies that airlines use for their pricing and availability.

TG is competitive with anyone when they see it fit (just check prices now for travel within 30 days). No need for other talk, just check that.

No? It's the same distance SIN-CDG as BKK-CDG and yet 20% of the price for July when your expats go home...4 times less than TG now. Then I asked why TG has pricing that looks so odd?

Narrow minded might be yours. Why did they then TG spent millions $ worth of data warehousing and data mining computer gear? To detect behavioral patterns that narrow narrow minded customers have no idea exist and can be detected. That's what they use when choosing when at and what price they make tickets available on their own web site.

Even amateurs running web sites can monitor and tabulate who came in, what did they see and what did they do (bought). One really has to be narrow minded not to know or just guess that.

Based on clicks and purchases it simply turned out that there is better business let operators do the work until 30 days before flights and then open it to anyone.

Obviously TTM, you are close to TG and are well within your right to defend them ad nauseam. As for being competitive when they see fit, that's the whole point. But I suggest to you that their strategy (whatever it is) doesnt work. Who opens up none stop flights to NY that lose a million baht a flight (each direction)? Look at TG's fleet. Boeing 747-400, 300s, 777s A340's, A330, A300s, Boeing 737s - do they still have the MD 11s? It's a recipe for maintence and training financial distaster. Do you see a long term strategy? Do they have a president yet?

Anyways, this is about pricing - I suggest the OP use a travel agent who buys in bulk from airlines in the hopes of reaching rebate levels that are lucrative (side effect is often cheaper tickets).

Obviously TTM, you are close to TG and are well within your right to defend them ad nauseam.

His defenses of TG are no more ad nauseam than your attacks of TG.

Just before they dropped the NY-BKK non-stop, I used TG business class twice, and business class was full both times.

I would remind you that virtually all airlines that have more competitive prices are also in financial trouble.

Obviously TTM, you are close to TG and are well within your right to defend them ad nauseam.

His defenses of TG are no more ad nauseam than your attacks of TG.

Just before they dropped the NY-BKK non-stop, I used TG business class twice, and business class was full both times.

I would remind you that virtually all airlines that have more competitive prices are also in financial trouble.

Really, etihad,emirates air asia, ryan air, eva, sq are in trouble?

As for being competitive when they see fit, that's the whole point. But I suggest to you that their strategy (whatever it is) doesnt work. Who opens up none stop flights to NY that lose a million baht a flight (each direction)?

I am not close to them at all, I am just offended that they are unfairly treated when it comes to their pricing and availability (over the Net) policy. When it comes to their fleet, it was me first to call it "scrap metal airline".

Who opens up none stop flights to NY that lose a million baht a flight (each direction)?

Singapore Airlines did. Thaksin did not want to be outdone by that midget state and made TG ply that route too.

Then, SQ, having many APJ regional MNC headquarters based in SIN, converted their A-340s to JFK into all biz (or premium) class, knowing they have a market. TG did not have that and failed.

Look at TG's fleet. Boeing 747-400, 300s, 777s A340's, A330, A300s, Boeing 737s - do they still have the MD 11s? It's a recipe for maintence and training financial distaster. Do you see a long term strategy? Do they have a president yet?

There are others with older and more various fleet, just look at US airlines. FedEx has many MD-11s, hundreds of them. They all have Presidents and what? Unlike TG, most went through Chapter 11 bankrupcy protection and are a joke even compared to poor TG.

Anyways, this is about pricing - I suggest the OP use a travel agent who buys in bulk from airlines in the hopes of reaching rebate levels that are lucrative (side effect is often cheaper tickets).

I agree. I just wanted to be fair to TG, there is nothing that makes them idiots as the OP suggested.

Old fleet, yes. But look at Qantas, 20+ years old B767s, scrap metal is most of their fleet. Back in 1992, the last flight when smoking was allowed (WEL-SYD) the 767 was 7 years old. It is still in service, 17 years on.

Did you hear about QF offering free tickets to the public, just to come to Australia?

That is how much the ticket itself is worth to the nation. What they are after is the money the travellers spend once they arrive.

Why is TG "unreal" if they look after the agencies selling tickets (cheap) + services (cheap but contribute much more to the economy) . That's their strategy, if you wish. What the agencies don't sell - goes online for anyone to grab 30 days prior to the flights.

Old fleet, yes. But look at Qantas, 20+ years old B767s, scrap metal is most of their fleet. Back in 1992, the last flight when smoking was allowed (WEL-SYD) the 767 was 7 years old. It is still in service, 17 years on.

Did you hear about QF offering free tickets to the public, just to come to Australia?

Qantas

Aircraft    |     #    |     Age    |    

Airbus A330    16    3 years    

Airbus A380    2     0.7 years    

Boeing 737    18    16.4 years  

Boeing 737NG   38    4.7 years

Boeing 747    32    15.3 years  

Boeing 767    29    16.3 years  

Dash 8          1    2.4 years    

TOTAL    136    10.9 years  AVGE 

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Qantas.htm

Thai Airways

Aircraft       |  #   |     Age    |

Airbus A300    17    16.2 years  

Airbus A330    12    12.6 years

Airbus A340    10    3 years

ATR 42/72    2    18.9 years    

Boeing 737    7    13.2 years  

Boeing 747    18    12.7 years  

Boeing 777    20    8 years    

TOTAL    86    11.4 years  AVGE.

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Thai%20Airways.htm

Going by some of their flights from Australia to Thailand lately then maybe Thai should also consider free tickets, plenty of empty seats they could give away.

Etihad Airlines -- Has not made a profit since its inception, but --before the economic downturn -- was projecting one in 2010.

Emirates Airlines -- Yes, economically healthy.

Air Asia -- Modestly profitable because it crams more seats in each airplane than most carriers and flies each plane more hours than most airlines.

Ryan Air -- Financially sound, although, "Ryanair has been criticised for some of its practices. Ryanair was voted the "least favourite airline" in a 2006 poll by TripAdvisor...One reason cited, relative to other airlines, was unfriendly and complacent staff. Critics have attacked its hidden "taxes", fees and limited customer services and charged that it practises deceptive advertising. In November 2006, it was revealed as the subject of more complaints than any other airline in the EU."

EVA Air -- "For the 2007–2008 period, EVA Air coped with a 34% surge in fuel prices, which contributed to a US$61.2 million 2007 loss.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_...-worldreport-19 In August 2008, EVA Air reported a second quarterly loss due to increased fuel costs.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_note-20 In response, the airline implemented cost-saving measures, including flight schedule reductions and fee increases.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_note-EVArelief-18 In early 2008, EVA Air's business office in El Segundo, California announced a major staff reduction, with over half the staff advised that they would no longer be employed by May 2008."

There should be nothing wrong with a 20-year-old plane, as long as it is properly maintained, the comfort inside depends on whether it has been updated or not. TG's elderly 747-400s and A300-600s are certainly looking dated.

Perhaps 25 years is starting to push things, but there are plenty of 30+ planes flying, especially as cargo-conversions, or in the 3rd-world, or for people like Poo-Air.

Etihad Airlines -- Has not made a profit since its inception, but --before the economic downturn -- was projecting one in 2010.

True but a definate rising star in the global air industry

Emirates Airlines -- Yes, economically healthy.

Air Asia -- Modestly profitable because it crams more seats in each airplane than most carriers and flies each plane more hours than most airlines.

Interestingly, if you ever flew to KL in the past you find yourself sandwich in the TG MH monopoly on the route. At the time flights to KL in C class were around 9,000 baht. Funny that since Air Asia came to life, how they are modestly profitable and the other two aren't. Unless a 21 Billion Baht loss in 2008 is modest. :o

Ryan Air -- Financially sound, although, "Ryanair has been criticised for some of its practices. Ryanair was voted the "least favourite airline" in a 2006 poll by TripAdvisor...One reason cited, relative to other airlines, was unfriendly and complacent staff. Critics have attacked its hidden "taxes", fees and limited customer services and charged that it practises deceptive advertising. In November 2006, it was revealed as the subject of more complaints than any other airline in the EU."

Yep all true - I even think the owner is <deleted> - but a smart one. Despite everything above - continues to grow while others like BA cut back on short haul routes within Europe.

EVA Air -- "For the 2007–2008 period, EVA Air coped with a 34% surge in fuel prices, which contributed to a US$61.2 million 2007 loss.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_...-worldreport-19 In August 2008, EVA Air reported a second quarterly loss due to increased fuel costs.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_note-20 In response, the airline implemented cost-saving measures, including flight schedule reductions and fee increases.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air#cite_note-EVArelief-18 In early 2008, EVA Air's business office in El Segundo, California announced a major staff reduction, with over half the staff advised that they would no longer be employed by May 2008."

Compared to China Airlines, how are they doing?

I was told by a TG Agent here in SGN that the website lists full fare pricing. They also charge more when flying from their home base than from other locations.

Here's an example using TG Website vs. TG office (mid-April booking).

BKK-LAX 123,665 (Biz)

SGN-LAX 105,460 (not bad price for website. Usually higher)

SGN-LAX 92,800 (TG office)